D
Darko Miodrag Offline OP
ok wait, maybe I am
Darko Miodrag  Offline OP
ok wait, maybe I am
D
Toronto
Bear with me here, Im gonna jump all over the place smile

I just got an S-AFC (new style) today, and want to install it on saturday or sunday. The reason I bought it is to allow for my Bosch inline pump and 510cc injectors (among other things). Im very eager to get it all up and running asap.

1. Do I need to bother cutting/hacking up the maf or should I just leave it stock? I don't see a reason to hack it now, but whatever.

2. Is the S-AFC installation a bitch? I've installed a few audio systems before, but I'm by no means an expert on wiring, or electricity in general. In fact it kind of makes me nervous smile

3. The pump is a Bosch inline... kind of like an external Walbro. this installs just before the fuel rail, correct? It's already got the fittings and hoses attached, I basically just have to tap it into my line and attach the other end to the rail. Now, it has 2 terminals on it... does it just need power and ground, or is it actuated (on/off) constantly somehow? Someone clarify this... and also clue me in on where to run the wires. And I keep the stock pump connected and in the tank, right? The Bosch works along with the stocker, no?

4. Injectors... not much to ask here. Direct drop in replacement really. Just wanna know if I need to do something beforehand or any tips/tricks I should know. Anything I need to be aware of?

That's it for now I think... Im sure there was more I wanted to know but I can't think of anything else at the moment. If anyone has some spare time on saturday or sunday, and has done this type of stuff before, I wouldn't mind a helping hand. It's not really necessary but it's a security issue smile

Thanks in advance!

Re: bunch of questions (maf, pump, injectors, afc) #170104
April 11, 2002 03:24 am UTC
Thornhill
J
Jeff Feldsher Offline
Jeff Feldsher  Offline
J
Thornhill
I'll answer Q number one.

I don't see any reason not to hack the MAF especially now that you have fuel control so you can tune and get a good idle out of it. Will allow for quicker spool and better topend in my experience...

90 TSi FWD
BPU+
Re: bunch of questions (maf, pump, injectors, afc) #170105
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Waldo Calderon Offline
Insane Member
Waldo Calderon  Offline
Insane Member
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Ummm for the SAFC installation, you will need the following:

ECU Pinout
1G Install Instructions

Don't do this all at once. Do the SAFC done this weekend and tune it. Then the week after do the pump and tune it. After that, install the injectors and tune it. If you do it all at once you run the risk of changing to many variables. IE, fuel injectors not delivering fuel. Did you cut the wire in the ECU by accident, incorrectly wire the fuel pump, or just plain installed them ass backwards? Not saying you will, but it could save you allot of aggravation.

Re: bunch of questions (maf, pump, injectors, afc) #170106
April 11, 2002 03:41 am UTC
April 11, 2002 03:41 am UTC
Toronto
D
Darko Miodrag Offline OP
ok wait, maybe I am
ok wait, maybe I am
D
Toronto
Well the plan was to do the S-AFC early on saturday... drive around, run some logs, make sure it's functioning properly.

Then I was gonna do the pump, make sure it's working fine as well... then do the injectors the next day or later that evening if I have the time. I definitely didn't think of doing it all at once smile

Re: bunch of questions (maf, pump, injectors, afc) #170107
April 11, 2002 03:45 am UTC
April 11, 2002 03:45 am UTC
Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Steve Kinnaird Offline

Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Steve Kinnaird  Offline

Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Ok, here's my (4 draft) thoughts...

1) with the bigger injectors, you'll be using - values in the High throttle settings. You don't NEED to hack the MAF, but it will flow more air, and help avoid MAF overrun if you do hack it. (At least a little.. you don't need to hog it right out..)

2) If you've done a system install or two, you can install the AFC. The only PITA is the confined space you have to work in. It would be nice if you could yank the ECU harness out the door, but you can't... frown

3) If you have your stock pump re-wired I would run the Bosch pump from the same 8 gauge wire. Just run it in parallel with the stock pump. That way it will only come on when the stock pump is on.

4) What injectors did you get?? I have recently found my RX-7 injectors to be a tad short. No matter how tight the fuel rail was, the injector insulators would leak at 13 psi during an intake leak test. I took the hard plastic spacers out from under the fuel rail, and ground .060" off of them. Now, they doen't leak. (Just something you may want to consider..)

I would install 1: pump. (It's either on, or off. You'll be able to tell if it's working or not..) 2: injectors. (Car will run like poo, but again, you'll easily be able to tell if they're working (Are all the cylinders firing??)) 3: AFC. Put it in, then get your datalogger permanently mounted.. it may take you a while to figure this thing out.. wink

Tip: Don't worry to much about your low settings/fuel trims. Watch the trims over a few days, and make small adjustments. (1000 rpm=low 2000 = mid, 3000+ = high) It's the high throttle settings you an change right away.. start doing some highway runs..

If you want some more, in depth help.. feel free to email me..

EDIT: After reading your last post, you might be right. Install the AFC first.. leave all the settings at 0 and make sure the car runs the same....

Maybe you don't want my help.. wink

Now, I'll have all kinds of time to talk about DSMs, because I won't be busy fixing mine!
Re: bunch of questions (maf, pump, injectors, afc) #170108
April 11, 2002 03:52 am UTC
April 11, 2002 03:52 am UTC
Toronto
D
Darko Miodrag Offline OP
ok wait, maybe I am
ok wait, maybe I am
D
Toronto
Thanks Steve... it's not actually a bad idea to do it in the order you suggested either. No realy difference though, since I'd run the AFC on 0 settings anyway after finding out it worked.

The injectors were installed in the 90 talon I just sold, as was the Bosch pump. It's all just plug & play.

My stock pump is not rewired. From what I could gather in the 90 talon, the Bosch pump was wired to somewhere in the fuse box by the battery (not the one with the injector fuse). But as long as it's confirmed that all it needs is GROUND and POWER, I should be fine.

Great info guys, thanks for the quick replies smile

My main worry is still the S-AFC though... it's gonna be a bitch. My way of splicing with a knife and covering with electrical tape kind of scares me when it comes to ECU/AFC wiring. frown

Re: bunch of questions (maf, pump, injectors, afc) #170109
April 11, 2002 04:15 am UTC
April 11, 2002 04:15 am UTC
Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Steve Kinnaird Offline

Steve Kinnaird  Offline

Beamsville, Ont, Canada
AFAIK all the pump needs is ground and power, just make sure it only gets power when the stock pump does....

Do yourself a favour.. solder the AFC connections.. You'll be glad you did in the long run. I don't know how many times I've seen people having weird problem on the SAFC list because they didn't make sure all the connections were secure..

Now, I'll have all kinds of time to talk about DSMs, because I won't be busy fixing mine!
Re: bunch of questions (maf, pump, injectors, afc) #170110
April 11, 2002 04:23 am UTC
April 11, 2002 04:23 am UTC
Toronto
D
Darko Miodrag Offline OP
ok wait, maybe I am
ok wait, maybe I am
D
Toronto
Ugh... now I gotta find someone with a soldering iron or whatever it's called.

Anyone? Anyone? Free beer included...

Re: bunch of questions (maf, pump, injectors, afc) #170111
April 11, 2002 03:44 pm UTC
April 11, 2002 03:44 pm UTC
Mississauga
A
Andrews March Offline
Andrews March  Offline
A
Mississauga
I got a couple of tips.... Never get married and always wear a condom laugh

no, for real. I gonna save you 20 bucks. Throw some vasoline on the o-rings of the injectors so they don't rip when your sliding them into the fuel rail, and if you have a chance, get a bored out fuel rail from Scott P. so your first cyilider won't be starved for fuel......

you can buy a cheap soildering iron anywhere (try walmart)

Or you can borrow mine (I'd have to look for it)

Later
good luck

Andrews M
In search of a 4G61T Colt