Vancouver
C
Clinton Wong Offline OP
Newbie on Probation
Clinton Wong  Offline OP
Newbie on Probation
C
Vancouver
I have always thought about getting a turbo kit for my car, but i've come to realize I don't have the mechanical ability to gather used parts and install, don't have the money for a new one, and probably wouldnt get much for my car so that I can buy a tsi awd. I've added a dual friction clutch, piaa fog lights, momo steering wheel and shifter, mags, K&N filter, brulin muffler, performance springs, new stereo, etc. Just seems like a hassle to have to buy another car and do those things again. I'm not even sure if all those things could be added to a tsi awd.

Anyhoo, I want to know what the best/safest setup is for adding a nitrous kit. You can have it turn on at full throttle or with some switch like in the movie fast and the furious. I've read that I should get a new fuel pump so that the engine doesn't run lean. I'm thinking of a starting at a 50 shot.

Re: Nitrous or not for an NT #204393
January 15, 2003 09:31 pm UTC
January 15, 2003 09:31 pm UTC
Ft.Erie ONT Canada
S
Steve Leigh Offline
Serious Member
Steve Leigh  Offline
Serious Member
S
Ft.Erie ONT Canada
I like the button setup (like on F&F) more than the auto WOT set up. But either way you still need to have an arming switch and a WOT switch. It's up to you if you want it to spray automatically when the system is armed and at WOT
or driver activated while system armed and WOT.
The good thing about the button set up is you do not have take your hands off the wheel to disarm the system or let off the throttle to stop the spray. With the button you just have to let off the button and the system will still be armed.

On the NT the stock fuel pump should be enough, although you may want to re-wire it for more performance.
you will want to hook up a fuel/air meter as well
For a daily driver and cost I would not go over a 50 shot but each to there own

2007 Toyota Yaris RS

91 LASER RS (N/T) Auto (PARTING OUT)

95 Honda VLX
Re: Nitrous or not for an NT #204394
January 17, 2003 05:12 am UTC
January 17, 2003 05:12 am UTC
Vancouver
C
Clinton Wong Offline OP
Newbie on Probation
Clinton Wong  Offline OP
Newbie on Probation
C
Vancouver
Thanks Steve. I'd probably do the wot method since it's pretty much automatic. Although i do agree it's pretty cool to have a button. Most people will say i should just sell and get a tsi awd. I agree with them, but I can't seem to find any that i like, or in decent condition. I recently test drove one and the turbo kicked in for only a second, then seemed to die out. the car sounded very loud and you could feel lots of shaking at the pedals and sheeet. Crazy. I told the dealer all the problems the car had, and he just shrugged his shoulders and didn't say a word haha.

Re: Nitrous or not for an NT #204395
January 17, 2003 08:10 pm UTC
January 17, 2003 08:10 pm UTC
Unionville
Sean Vandenburg Offline
Sean Vandenburg  Offline
Unionville

Call me at 905 415 0080 for any parts related inquiries you may need. Mention you got my number from this site and you get a 10% discount on parts!
Re: Nitrous or not for an NT #204396
January 17, 2003 08:15 pm UTC
January 17, 2003 08:15 pm UTC
Unionville
Sean Vandenburg Offline
Sean Vandenburg  Offline
Unionville
I have done a few NOS installs, all of which used an arming switch and a WOT switch. Everything is failry simple to accomplish. There are two very important things to remember.
1st, make sure the line run from the bottle to the NOS solenoid is far away from any heat sources or moving parts.
2nd, make ABSOLUTELY sure you have the right jetting for your shot. I suggest going to your local performance dealer that sells NOS and have them call the headquarters to get the correct jet sizes. you will need to know your fuel pumps output (psi) and your compression ratio (I think).
If you have any other ? just let me know.
Sean

Call me at 905 415 0080 for any parts related inquiries you may need. Mention you got my number from this site and you get a 10% discount on parts!
Re: Nitrous or not for an NT #204397
January 17, 2003 08:28 pm UTC
January 17, 2003 08:28 pm UTC
Vancouver
C
Clinton Wong Offline OP
Newbie on Probation
Clinton Wong  Offline OP
Newbie on Probation
C
Vancouver
Cool thanks for the info Sean. What would happen if the NOS solenoid is close to heat sources? I would have a performance shop install it for me. Do you think knobs and such would loosen on the tank if i had a sub in the back?

Re: Nitrous or not for an NT #204398
January 19, 2003 12:45 am UTC
January 19, 2003 12:45 am UTC
Burlington Ontario
Josh Stevenson Offline
Josh Stevenson  Offline
Burlington Ontario
clinton i am in the same senario, i mean i bought the NT because i had got an amazing deal on it but now i regret it but i dont want to go through the hassle of trying to sell it and get next to nothing for it. people over look the NT i mean they are faster then civic si's (not going to brag about that) but really they are overlooked compared to a tsi. now to the point i see what you are trying to do, now without intall how much will the materials and tanks and everything cost you?

92 Talon- Project Betsey
91 civic SI- Good o'l winter beater
www.casualcustoms.ca - My rydes home away from home!
More recent pic's - http://www.casualcustoms.ca/projects/talon/gallery.html