Mississauga, ON
R
Rafal Kraskiewicz Offline OP
Serious Member
Rafal Kraskiewicz  Offline OP
Serious Member
R
Mississauga, ON
I'm sure some of you have heard about the bear that was captured by the MNR out in Newmarket over the weekend.

Six years after politics killed the spring bear hunt, a major public safety issue has come sauntering into town. This past weekend in Newmarket, a costly operation involving a helicopter, several police officers, fire equipment and a tranquilizer gun resulted in a 10-hour suburban bear hunt. Just a couple of days before, a black bear was killed by police near an elementary school in the heart of Peterborough.

"These two incidents are only the beginning of another season of nuisance bear hysteria in both northern and southern Ontario," said Robert Pye, communications coordinator for the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (O.F.A.H.) As the O.F.A.H. predicted, bears are expanding their range into parts of southern Ontario, including Newmarket and Peterborough – an obvious result of the government's cancellation of the spring bear hunt.

Pye said "The O.F.A.H. continues to warn that a record number of bears wandering into residential areas means there's an increased probability of people encountering bears. It's just a matter of time before someone, perhaps a child, gets seriously injured or killed. The O.F.A.H. is adamant that the return of the spring bear hunt is the best solution for black bear management."

Recently, the O.F.A.H. obtained the results of last year's M.N.R. Bear Wise program, a $5.3 million public awareness campaign developed to help handle all of the complaints that the government now receives about nuisance bears. The results show that in the months that bears weren't hibernating, the Bear Wise Hotline received 14,550 calls, from as far north as Red Lake and as far south as the Greater Toronto Area.

Until recently, few M.N.R. offices maintained nuisance bear records. The records that do exist for the 1995 to 1998 period (before the hunt was canned) showed that the M.N.R. received a total of 2,600 nuisance bear complaints. From 1999 to 2002 (years without a spring bear hunt) these same offices received 12,426 nuisance bear calls. That's a whopping 500 percent increase in nuisance bear complaints since the cancellation of the spring bear hunt. Meanwhile, the province of Manitoba, which has an annual spring bear hunt, experienced no change in nuisance bear calls over the same time period.

This summer, hundreds of bears will be shot and wasted (and not reported) by frustrated property owners worried about protecting their family, pets and livestock.

"It's a sad commentary about how a once properly managed and highly valued big game species has quickly become a significant public liability and an easily expendable pest," said Pye.

Bring back the hunt before somebody gets mauled.

'97 Cherokee
'92 Talon TSi AWD
Re: Bear in Newmarket #206649
May 25, 2005 02:15 pm UTC
May 25, 2005 02:15 pm UTC
Whistler,BC
T
Tim Hunt Offline
FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline
FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
Maybe they should just educate people of how to live with the bears. In Whistler where I spend 6 months of the year there are about 100 black bears who live within a 10km radius of the village. Over the last 6 years they have only had to relocate 2 bears and shoot one (who was found awake, emaciated and wandering in the village in the middle of Febuary).
The only reason the bears are coming into these areas is the avalibility of food, and if property owners would keep garbage put away properly and crap ( eg. spoiled fallen fruit in orchards) off thier property then the bears would not be coming into the area. A little bit of education for property owners and people goes a long way. Like the fact that black bears don't hunt, they are oppertunistic scavengers, remove the oppertunity for them to scavenge and you remove the issue of problem bears. The other thing they should be doing is teaching the authorities who deal with the problem bears is non lethal ways of dealing with them.
Have I came across bears in Whistler, yes on a regular basis, walking, camping, and even skiing one day! What did I do? Give then the respect that they deserve, the space they deserve, and as soon as they sensed my presence they retreated, they don't like people. Yes I had my can of bear spray at the ready, as always just in case I happened to be between a mom and her cub's.
There is good evidence that along the southern part of their range, that is the southern edge of the Canadian Shield, the bear population has been slowly growing over the past 20 to 30 years. As abandoned farmland returns to old field habitat, it provides much better habitat for bears. Raspberries, aspen, and hawthorn all grow in this habitat to provide food and cover for bears. Mild winters may also have had an impact by improving natural food supplies for bears.

In fact, it is the increase in the human population, particularly in "cottage country", that is a credible explanation for more contact between people and bears. Many retirees now live in "cottage country" year round, increasing the likelihood of sighting a bear. Cottages are also built in areas that were once excellent bear habitat. Both bears and people enjoy river valleys and forested areas. Clearly, an increase in the number of permanent and summer residents in "cottage country" will result in more bear "sightings" but this does on its own does not necessarily suggest more bears.
Outfitters and the organizations that work to protect that business have been on a mission to create a bear crisis in Ontario. Posters and ads encouraging people to report and document any bear seen (bonus points given to those who photographed the animal near their homes, dogs and children) created an effective campaign. The result has been the government-appointed Nuisance Bear Committee and a new legislative proposal to allow for the chasing of bears with dogs. While the Committee's purpose to review scientific information and public input about nuisance bears is a positive initiative, the latter proposal truly puts Ontario in the Dark Ages when it comes to wildlife management.

There is little doubt that there has been an increase in bear sightings, particularly across the southern limits of this species' range. However, an increase in sightings does not necessarily mean an actual increase in the bear population. When natural food sources such as berries are in short supply or the season is delayed by drought, bear sightings go up. As more bears are forced out of the bush to find food, it is likely they will be encountered more by people.

There are many effective non-lethal control measures that can be used to alleviate nuisance bear problems. Reinstating the spring bear hunt and allowing the use of dogs to chase bears does nothing to address the problem. In all likelihood, these two initiatives, disguised as nuisance bear management, actually exacerbate the problem.

Bears are primarily hunted with bait. Since a bear's sense of smell is 100 times more sensitive than a human's, bait stations can attract a number of bears from far and wide, concentrating them in one area. This practice habituates animals to human-generated food sources, increasing public risk. The proposal to allow the chasing of bears with dogs also increases public risk. The bears are not only frightened by the chase, but are likely to become very hungry after utilizing a tremendous amount of energy during the chase. This proposal is nothing more than a new recreational opportunity for bear hunters that can't pursue their favorite sport in the spring.

It has been estimated that there are 75,000 to 100,000 bears in Ontario, but no reliable survey method has ever been employed. What is certain is that this species has been extirpated from 50% of its former range in North America due to habitat destruction and high hunting pressures. Thousands of bears are killed each year in North America because they are perceived as a nuisance. As the largest jurisdiction for black bears, Ontario has an international responsibility to play a leading role in bear management and conservation. The need for a new, effective approach to alleviating human-bear conflicts is heightened by the increased development and human activity in bear country. Co-existence with bears is possible, but it takes human tolerance and education.
Problem bears are not born, they are created.

2G TSI AWD Magnus 2.3L G4CS Hybrid
Re: Bear in Newmarket #206650
May 25, 2005 03:18 pm UTC
May 25, 2005 03:18 pm UTC
Mississauga, ON
R
Serious Member
Serious Member
R
Mississauga, ON
Tim, appreciate the response.

I do agree that educating people on how to be 'bear-wise' makes a lot of sense. However, the Spring Bear Hunt in Ontario was a way of controlling the population to a level that sustained itself naturally. The cancellation of it was purely a political decision by the former Harris government. There was no science. They were pressured by special interest groups who used the un-informed (but majority) populace of southern ontario to garner some votes for the tories.

In my opinion, the problems we are seeing in Ontario are due to the fact that we now have TOO many bears. More bears = less food, forcing them to move into more populated regions and/or become predatory (Black Bears DO in fact hunt, when other sources of food become scarce). This has created an increase in bear/human encounters.

So what is happening now? There are too many bears in the north, land owners are having property destroyed by predatory bears. Encounters with predatory bears are becoming mroe and more common. Yet, the voices of the north are not being heard, they've been complaining since the hunt was cancelled. There was a petition going around that suggested some bears be moved into southern ontario (where they once roamed and were quite prolific btw). The gov't said no. Apparently, what's good for the north is not good for the south. The bears, well they don't care, and continue to move closer and closer to the GTA. The MNR? Well tehy continue to dump these bears back into the north. Besides, they don't have the resources to control the population on their own.

I've personally encountered a few bears, but never as many as in the last 4-5 years, including one last year that 'bluff' charged us a couple of times, not fun. We kept our cool though and eventually he gave up. But, I feel as though it will take some 905er to be mauled by one before the gov't steps up and does something.

'97 Cherokee
'92 Talon TSi AWD
Re: Bear in Newmarket #206651
May 30, 2005 03:38 pm UTC
May 30, 2005 03:38 pm UTC
Peterborough
kale mumford Offline
Serious Member
kale mumford  Offline
Serious Member
Peterborough
lol i heard on the news over the weekend that in around the Peterborough area, some woman walked into her living room and she found a bear cub just wandering around inside and the mother was out side trying to get in....i dont know what i would do in a situation like that....run maybe cry

Re: Bear in Newmarket #206652
May 30, 2005 03:59 pm UTC
May 30, 2005 03:59 pm UTC
London/Nomad
Nathan Welch Offline

Insane Member
Nathan Welch  Offline

Insane Member
London/Nomad
What I have to say isnt backed by statistics but stands up to reason. Bears need a large area for each individual bear to survive. I dont believe that the bear population is balloning, their habbitat is just shrinking as a result of urban sprall. Remember the bears where here before us we are taking their land.

That said I am in Tobermory for the summer and there ARE bears around. They have become tame and survive on the municipal dump and rely on taking the easier food that is available from careless cottagers. When these bears become tame and loose their fear of humans dangerous situations can result.
I just keep the 30.30 handy. I dont really need a new rug but hey angel

Re: Bear in Newmarket #206653
May 30, 2005 11:21 pm UTC
May 30, 2005 11:21 pm UTC
London/Nomad
Nathan Welch Offline

Insane Member
Nathan Welch  Offline

Insane Member
London/Nomad
any other opinions on this

Re: Bear in Newmarket #206654
September 23, 2005 02:15 pm UTC
September 23, 2005 02:15 pm UTC
Mississauga, ON
R
Serious Member
Serious Member
R
Mississauga, ON
Well.. I hate to tell you all "I told you so.." but the recently maulings bring this to the fore-front once again. The maulings were done by large adult male bears, exactly the same ones targetted by the cancelled spring hunt.

I know for most people in S. Ont, this issue isn't even a blip on the radar screen, but for folks up north it is a genuine concern. I've friends in Thunder Bay that say many schools no longer have outdoor recess! In Timmins, the local police have began shooting bears.. even when the MNR tells them not to. Apparently they are seeing 3 a day in town!

Please, don't vote with your emotions but with your heads!

'97 Cherokee
'92 Talon TSi AWD
Re: Bear in Newmarket #206655
September 29, 2005 03:10 am UTC
September 29, 2005 03:10 am UTC
Toronto
D
David Jackson Offline
Newbie on Probation
David Jackson  Offline
Newbie on Probation
D
Toronto
Sorry, but I have to say that anyone who thinks bears (or other animals for that matter) need to be destroyed because they are a threat to people needs to give their heads a shake. We might as well slaughter everything that might hurt us so we can reign supreme shouldn't we!?

I think Agent Smith in The Matrix said it right that we should be classified as a virus. We consume and destroy resources and spread out until their are none left. Well, what happens when man moves into every last habitat for bears and they can only go into town. We might as well kill them all. Look what's happening to the Tiger. In our lifetime we will see that animal become extinct because of hunters and human encroachment.

It's disgracefull if you ask me. People should either learn to live with them or move the F*ck out!

Sorry... but topics and attitudes like that piss me off.

Re: Bear in Newmarket #206656
September 30, 2005 01:45 pm UTC
September 30, 2005 01:45 pm UTC
Mississauga, ON
R
Serious Member
Serious Member
R
Mississauga, ON
This is all really easy for you to say sitting in your comfy bear free home in Toronto (I'm assuming). Fact is, there is no shortage of bears in Ontario, they are not in any trouble. Before the hunt was cancelled there was a self sustaining population of bears that was doing quite well.. the hunting that did occur DID NOT impact them negatively.. their numbers were steady.

I'm not saying human encroachment is not an issue, it is... We are very much a cancer. Are you suggesting we stop progress? Move everyone down to S. Ont? Perhaps, if you feel so strongly about bears, you'd like to see them in YOUR backyard? You know, at one time, their range extended well into S. Ont. Sign the petition here http://www.friends-of-fur.org/ Or is what's good for the north not good for the south?

It's UNINFORMED attitudes of folks from s. ontario who like to tell the rest of the province how they should live that piss ME off.

'97 Cherokee
'92 Talon TSi AWD
Re: Bear in Newmarket #206657
September 30, 2005 02:25 pm UTC
September 30, 2005 02:25 pm UTC
Oakville, ON
Nigel Smith Offline
Insane Member
Nigel Smith  Offline
Insane Member
Oakville, ON
Whatever happens dont put more people in S. Ontario, we've got enough people already...
It sounds to me that Rafal you feel very strongly about this, and must other people who responded here arent really well informed, and have an opinion of well why do you wanna kill innocent bears... which IMO is totally incorrect. I dont know how I stand on the bear hunt, as I dont have enough education on the matter, but once I heard all the facts, I would probably be for it...

.02 cents...

Past
1992 Tsi AWD
1992 Tsi 14.30@100 Stock w/ MAF-T
1992 Tsi AWD 13.03@105 1.71 60'
1991 Tsi AWD
Re: Bear in Newmarket #206658
September 30, 2005 02:58 pm UTC
September 30, 2005 02:58 pm UTC
Toronto
D
David Jackson Offline
Newbie on Probation
David Jackson  Offline
Newbie on Probation
D
Toronto
Actually, I am very well educated on the subject. I know someone who is an advocate of the hunt (mind you it's because he gets a hardon over shooting animals - which I don't agree with) but I am also educated on it because I have lived in the North, visit there every summer and winter, I even camp at hunt camps in Bear country. I deal with bears at least once or twice a year and it's being informed that makes me able to coexist.

The bear hunt cancellation was nothing more than political agenda and didn't have much to do with population control (mind you that's how it was presented). I guess my issue is I read almost every day of this progress you speak of and wonder how we expect to sustain it? Most native animals of this continent are endangered because of it. Fish populations have the potenial of going extinct on the east coast because of it. Most of the cool animals in this world are destined to live out their lives in zoo's because of it. See my point. When does the progress slow down? If S. & N. Ontario keep populating what's that going to mean for all the problem bears that will be created by that? Shoot them?

Why not address why populations of bears are able to explode? Issues like stopping food sources from towns, camps and landfills from being so readily available. Anyone ever think of that? I guess that would cost money and time... too difficult. It just bothers me that people created the issue and it's their view to start hunting them to solve it?

Sounds like a George Bush ideal to me.

Re: Bear in Newmarket #206659
September 30, 2005 04:38 pm UTC
September 30, 2005 04:38 pm UTC
Mississauga, ON
R
Serious Member
Serious Member
R
Mississauga, ON
David, much of what you wrote in your 2nd post I agree with. I am not suggesting we wipe the bears out nor do I personally hunt. Like I said in an earlier post, the issues of food availability, landfills, etc definately need to be addressed.

Here is a decent article that outlines the reasoning we heard and the real reasons behind the cancellation.

Biologists have long said that the spring hunt was an excellent way of controlling the population and minimizing predatory bear/human encounters. They also said that the hunt did NOT have a negative impact on the bear population (it had been stable for decades) and as an added bonus brought a lot of tourist $$$ to a region that desperately needs it. The tories ignored all this in favour of campaign donations from a Toronto area developer and like stated in the article above... it saved them 5 seats in the election.

Here is some reasoning behind the hunt's reduction of predatory bears: Predatory bears are generally adult males. Most of the bears shot in the spring were adult male bears, the rest cub-less females (females with cubs are ILLEGAL to hunt). So... is it any coincidence that most of the recent problem bear reports have been, you guessed it, adult males?

'97 Cherokee
'92 Talon TSi AWD
Re: Bear in Newmarket #206660
September 30, 2005 06:38 pm UTC
September 30, 2005 06:38 pm UTC
Toronto
D
David Jackson Offline
Newbie on Probation
David Jackson  Offline
Newbie on Probation
D
Toronto
Hey man, sorry if I sounded like I was taking the pi$$ out of ya. No offense intended. I just get a little sensitive about topics like that.

Even if they are big angry male bears they're still pretty cool animals. Bloody shame that needs to be done.

Oh well...