November 20, 2006 03:12 pm UTC
November 20, 2006 03:12 pm UTC
Mississauga
James DeCunha Offline OP
Serious Member
James DeCunha  Offline OP
Serious Member
Mississauga
I picked up a Wii this weekend with extra controller + Nunchuck and the new Zelda game.

Impressions:
Setup was fairly easy. Besides the normal A/V cables and Power, the only thing left to install was a sensor bar that should be mounted either on top of, or below your TV. Very straight forward, just a little difficult if you are running a projector with a wall mounted screen. The sensor bar had to be put at a very slight angle to still be above the screen, yet below my ceiling mounted center-speaker.

Once the system is turned on a few small steps to setup the time, date and name of the console are done. Using the controller, you aim at the screen and pick the letter or number. This can prove to be quite challenging if you are like me and have hands as shaky as Michael J Fox.

Connecting additional controllers is fairly simple, just a simple handshake method that requires you to press a button on the controller, then one on the actual console.

That’s it for the setup. Mind you there are other things that you can setup, like your ‘Mii’ character, etc.

“Wii sports”, the game that is packaged with the console, is very entertaining to play with a friend. The sports include tennis, baseball, bowling, golf and boxing.
I’ve always thought that it’s the little things that make normal things seem great. In baseball, while you are holding the controller like a bat, you can move the ‘bat’ around in circles as you would to actually prepare for a pitch, and your Mii will mimic your move.
It’s a little difficult to describe but I thought that was a really neat addition.
Boxing is the only game in Wii when you utilize the nunchuck. (The nunchuck can be detached when not in use). Punch with your left hand, your player will punch with his left hand. Two left highs and a right to the kidney and your player with follow suit.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Unfortunately this game did not live up to what it could be. However, in my mind it is still probably the best Zelda ever made. The gripe that I have with it is only that it was originally intended to be a game cube game so I imagine there could/would have been better graphics and so forth if it was a Wii only game. Following suit with the other Zelda games, there are many mini tasks which need to be completed before you really get into the story of the game. ‘He calls the bird to hit the monkey to drop the basket to give to the woman to get the rod that catches the fish to entice the cat to return home” and all this for access to the slingshot.

With only a few hours of game play I cannot give a full impression but it’s easy to see the strengths of the game as well as where they can improve. Some things are made extremely easy for the player which was a shame, like jumping from ledge to ledge is merely a look and button press and Link will make the jump every time. Bosses seem to have no real difficulty to them either.
While there are some flaws, the pros more than definitely outweigh the flaws. Now while running, link can use his sword. No longer is it a quick tapping of a button, oh no no that just wouldn’t be a Wii game. Now it is a quick flick of the wrist and the sword is pulled out. Use the nunchuck from side to side and Link will slice all around him.

Using the slingshot is another pleasure. Select the slingshot from your items, and point the controller at what you are trying to hit and the crosshair will move to it. Pull of the trigger and your pellets are flung at the enemy. I expect the Bow and Arrow to have similar usage.

All in all I would still have to agree that this is probably the best Zelda I have played, not to mention the most entertaining system. If you are looking for great interaction with a system, and not take advantage of button mashing to win in a fighting game, Wii is definitely for you. However if you are looking to graphics, perhaps you are barking up the wrong ‘Trii’. With component cables extra, and no real HD support, I don’t imagine that you will be winning Ohh and Ahh awards for stunning images from your friends.

1992 Talon 6/4bolt
What 10 seconds worth of parts doing 12s looks like
Msn: RSXER@hotmail.com
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213736
November 20, 2006 08:59 pm UTC
November 20, 2006 08:59 pm UTC
Kitchener, Ontario Canada
Chris Wyatt Offline
Serious Member
Chris Wyatt  Offline
Serious Member
Ive been following the Wii development for over a year (back when they had named it Revolution at the time) and although it looks interesting, I dont see much that I would want besides the Zelda. For now, I think my modded Xbox with all the emus will keep me busy when I get a chance to play games at all.

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213737
November 21, 2006 12:19 am UTC
November 21, 2006 12:19 am UTC
Mississauga
Scott Conway Offline
Serious Member
Scott Conway  Offline
Serious Member
Mississauga
Do you close all the curtains and lock the doors whenever you play it?

Plymouth what?
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213738
November 21, 2006 01:29 am UTC
November 21, 2006 01:29 am UTC
The Planet
E
EK Offline
Insane Member
EK  Offline
Insane Member
E
The Planet
Nintendo really didn't want to pursue graphics, ooh and ahh with their systems.. the Wii is a perfect testiment to what Nintendo is really about.. though it's not what I look for in a system, Nintendo took an extra step towards making games more interactive and fun. Definately better than trying to compete in the Microsoft/Sony graphics war.
As for myself, I'll stick to my PC games.. and my PS2.

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213739
November 21, 2006 09:15 pm UTC
November 21, 2006 09:15 pm UTC
London, Ontario
Jon Arnett Offline
Serious Member
Jon Arnett  Offline
Serious Member
London, Ontario
Originally posted by Eric Kellar:
Nintendo really didn't want to pursue graphics, ooh and ahh with their systems.. the Wii is a perfect testiment to what Nintendo is really about.. though it's not what I look for in a system, Nintendo took an extra step towards making games more interactive and fun. Definately better than trying to compete in the Microsoft/Sony graphics war.
As for myself, I'll stick to my PC games.. and my PS2.
They should have done both...

A game like the gears of war (discussed in another thread) for xbox360 looks amazing, but would be so much cooler using the controller to aim like a real gun.

*2002 Porsche 911 Silver
*2006 BMW 325XIT Black
*2003 BMW 325i Silver
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213740
November 21, 2006 09:21 pm UTC
November 21, 2006 09:21 pm UTC
parts unknown
john putzu Offline
Serious Member
john putzu  Offline
Serious Member
parts unknown
If you want the best by a PS3.

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213741
November 21, 2006 09:26 pm UTC
November 21, 2006 09:26 pm UTC
Aurora
miguel barros Offline
Insane Member
miguel barros  Offline
Insane Member
Aurora
Sure if you want problems galore just buy the PS3 annoy .

I refuse to give Sony my hard earned money for a piece of sh!t machine. I think I'll try the Wii this Friday.

Seems like a fresh neat concept.

All the PS3 is good for is this:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/dentistofdoom/1601-PS3-Grill-is-Real.jpg

97 Eclipse GS-T - Project Nightmare!!!

2009 Dodge Journey / DD,parts hauler,mobile office
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213742
November 21, 2006 09:30 pm UTC
November 21, 2006 09:30 pm UTC
Mississauga
James DeCunha Offline OP
Serious Member
Serious Member
Mississauga
Originally posted by Jon Arnett:
They should have done both...

A game like the gears of war (discussed in another thread) for xbox360 looks amazing, but would be so much cooler using the controller to aim like a real gun.
I agree with you only partly. Yes it would have been great to have amazing graphics with Wii, but at what cost?
I think $700+ for a gaming console is ridiculous and I refuse to pay anything like that

and as for this, could you possibly provide arguments as to why its the best thing ever? Right now its just sounding like a My dad could beat up your dad statement

1992 Talon 6/4bolt
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213743
November 21, 2006 09:52 pm UTC
November 21, 2006 09:52 pm UTC
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Waldo Calderon Offline
Insane Member
Waldo Calderon  Offline
Insane Member
Originally posted by john putzu:
Because the best includes a blue ray that can't do high def very well.

Because the best always sticks with the old game pad and never tries anything inovative. Oh look at me! I can tilt my controller and something should happen. What a half assed response to the Wii-mote.

Because the best trips over itself trying to get units on the shelves only to find it self without enough diodes to get the units into stores before christmas. 400000 units in North America. Now all worth over a grand because there will be no more units shipped for the next little while. There are 2 million Wii's available all under 300.

Because the best doesn't offer anything new over the previous version except a bigger engine under the hood. Yeah, the HP is nice but the best games are all about game play. Gears of War could have been done on a regular Xbox platform and it would still be a hit.

Because the best offers a HD Media format which may or may not be around in the next 5 years. Yeah I want that $700 beta player :rolleyes: that can play video games. You know what? Let the two formats duke it out and equip your PS3 with a DVD player with a future option to upgrade. You keep the cost down for the consumer and the options open.

Because the best doesn't come to Europe until March. Suckers. They have to wait 4 months to get gouged.

Sony dropped the ball on this one. The PS3 wasn't ready for release. They don't have the units to sell and it is twice as much as a Wii. It's only saving grace is that it doesn't use laptop batteries that explode or install software without your knowledge. I'm hoping on that last one BTW.

Now the Wii has alot of things going for it.

Wii-mote is like a mouse, only better. FPS are alot more fun with a mouse then a controller.

Virtual Console! Classic games I miss like space harrier and Super Mario 64 will be available for download!

Mii's and Channels. Bringing some of the functionality of a computer to a console is always good. Now I can check the weather or news or even surf the net. And with Mii's now you got an avatar or even a game character for the internet.

The only thing I don't like about the Wii is the inablity to play DVD's and MP3's. Maybe we will see something from the online store that will allow us to do something like that in the near future.

I got my Wii over the weekend. I love it. I picked it up late in the day so my game pickings were slim. I heard Trauma Center was a decent game so I picked that up. It's pretty neat doing surgery with the wii-mote. Nurse! Wii-mote, stat! I've also done alot of boxing with Wii sports. I'm happy with my purchase. I'll buy a PS3 but when it's in the 300 dollar range and they've worked out all the bugs.

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213744
November 21, 2006 11:21 pm UTC
November 21, 2006 11:21 pm UTC
Bolton
Dean Boyle Offline
Insane Member
Dean Boyle  Offline
Insane Member
Bolton
ok easy there captain console

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213745
November 21, 2006 11:28 pm UTC
November 21, 2006 11:28 pm UTC
Colborne
Adam Grenon Offline
Insane Member
Adam Grenon  Offline
Insane Member
Colborne
It's like this every time a console comes out, except the difference now is, hardcore gamers want more because they expect graphics to be more like their $700 video card, in their $4000 computer. So sony was pretty smart to charge so much for it, obviously people have no problem paying it, frig there was even a drive by bb gun shooting and a real shooting over these things...

I'll wait until they are $179.99 at walmart before I ever get one, and I probably still will never own one. I'm just no good at games except for car racing ones... Any news on a Gran Turismo for the PS3?

2012 - Lancer Ralliart Octane Blue
1991 - Talon Tsi AWD FP HTA 71
1992 - Talon Tsi AWD on hold
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213746
November 22, 2006 12:21 am UTC
November 22, 2006 12:21 am UTC
Chris Wyatt Offline
Serious Member
Chris Wyatt  Offline
Serious Member
The only thing I don't like about the Wii is the inablity to play DVD's and MP3's. Maybe we will see something from the online store that will allow us to do something like that in the near future.
There will be. Unfortunately you could call it Wii v.2

They're coming out with a revised version next year that will play DVDs (havent heard anything about MP3s though)

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213747
November 22, 2006 01:27 pm UTC
November 22, 2006 01:27 pm UTC
London
Shaun MacLary Offline
Serious Member
Shaun MacLary  Offline
Serious Member
London
I'm sorry, but the graphics, game selection, upgradeablility, and use for more than just gaming capabilities of the PS3 FAR outway anything the Wii has to offer.

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213748
November 22, 2006 03:40 pm UTC
November 22, 2006 03:40 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
Gran Turismo 5 will be the PS3's killer title. You can bet that it's waiting in the wings for a release early next year.

They're both good consoles, and both do what they're good at for the market they're intended for. Nintendo's going to rule as far as pricing goes, but a lot of people are going to balk over the 'more involving' control system and the perception that Nintendo is a kiddie console. Heh, my favourite spoof commercial is the one on Youtube with the two girls as the consoles. smile

I'm pretty sure when PS3 support gets going, they'll use the multi-cells for something more than just 'more HP'.

Too bad I won't get the chance to own them until they're sub-$200.

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213749
November 22, 2006 03:41 pm UTC
November 22, 2006 03:41 pm UTC
Bolton
Dean Boyle Offline
Insane Member
Dean Boyle  Offline
Insane Member
Bolton
Originally posted by Troy Jollimore:

Too bad I won't get the chance to own them until they're sub-$200.
That could take a while, I don't even think PS2's are that price yet (retail).

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213750
November 22, 2006 08:25 pm UTC
November 22, 2006 08:25 pm UTC
Mississauga
James DeCunha Offline OP
Serious Member
Serious Member
Mississauga
PS2 is going for 129.99 on www.futureshop.ca

1992 Talon 6/4bolt
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213751
November 28, 2006 02:13 pm UTC
November 28, 2006 02:13 pm UTC
Waldo Calderon Offline
Insane Member
Waldo Calderon  Offline
Insane Member

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213752
November 28, 2006 04:30 pm UTC
November 28, 2006 04:30 pm UTC
Loc: Loc:
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Loc: Loc:
Only you can resolve the HD issue.

Well what are you waiting for?
Go now, and buy a new TV!

1993 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
13.8 @ 106 :::: 14.1 @ 117
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213753
November 29, 2006 02:07 pm UTC
November 29, 2006 02:07 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
Better make it a Sony. Convenient for them, isn't it? smile

Any good older TV should be able to convert the HD pic as well. I think my TV is at 540p as opposed to 720p, but it converts to match.

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213754
November 29, 2006 02:32 pm UTC
November 29, 2006 02:32 pm UTC
Waldo Calderon Offline
Insane Member
Waldo Calderon  Offline
Insane Member
Originally posted by Troy Jollimore:
Convenient for them, isn't it? smile
Not exactly. They just lost a big share of the market with that blunder. In fact, it's been nothing but blunders from Sony for the past 12 months.

Now that people know that the HD scaling isn't working the way it should, I'm sure more people will give another look to the competing consoles.

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213755
November 29, 2006 06:52 pm UTC
November 29, 2006 06:52 pm UTC
Fredericton,NB
T
Todd Henshaw Offline
Todd Henshaw  Offline
T
Fredericton,NB
I had a chance to play this a few days ago, and I must say it is really fun. smile I really had my reservations about the new fangled controller, but it works very well.

Zelda ftw!!

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213756
November 29, 2006 09:38 pm UTC
November 29, 2006 09:38 pm UTC
parts unknown
john putzu Offline
Serious Member
john putzu  Offline
Serious Member
parts unknown
I am sure you are happy with you Will. I never said Sony was the best thing ever.

What I am saying now that you are making a big deal out of it. The PS3 is the most powerful best gaming alround pakage out there. No it does not have 1000 games out right now but it will.

You want a $300 gaming system you got it. Hate to break this to you but the PS3 is better.

Also I would not pay $700 for the PS3 I would wait till they came down in price.

I am not going to quote everything about the PS3 compared to the Will. As far as Sony coming out with the system to soon and not having enough PS3 to supply to everyone that can afford one, who cares I was not one of those people that stood in line for two days.

When I do decide to get one there will be lots in the store and all the bugs will be worked out too.

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213757
November 29, 2006 09:43 pm UTC
November 29, 2006 09:43 pm UTC
parts unknown
john putzu Offline
Serious Member
john putzu  Offline
Serious Member
parts unknown
I think you had the Will controler wraped to tight around you neck James.

Take it eazy. It's only a game...

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213758
November 30, 2006 01:05 pm UTC
November 30, 2006 01:05 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
I doubt it, Waldo. It's like a Chrysler customer. Sure you've been screwed over by them XXX times. But when the time comes to get a new car, they're inexhoribly drawn back into a Chrysler showroom.

Sony is aware of this. And they're in the position to call the shots for most customers. And it's the only choice for GT5 when it releases.

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213759
November 30, 2006 02:43 pm UTC
November 30, 2006 02:43 pm UTC
Mississauga
James DeCunha Offline OP
Serious Member
Serious Member
Mississauga
I think you had the Will controler wraped to tight around you neck James.

Take it eazy. It's only a game...
I ask you to back up your statement, and you reply with that?
Now who is taking it too seriously?
You're right, It's only a game

1992 Talon 6/4bolt
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213760
November 30, 2006 03:06 pm UTC
November 30, 2006 03:06 pm UTC
Aylmer, Quebec
Gates Perry Offline
Insane Member
Gates Perry  Offline
Insane Member
Aylmer, Quebec
I believe the Wii is a revolutionary step in the right direction and EVERY CONSOLE should take a hint from their concept. Get those fat kids and adults moving around to play their games. It's probably the only exercise most of them will get because we gamers all know the addiction comes at a price, especially when you're too busy looking at graphics to realize you're going to die from being overweight. If you get a good enough game, this could become daily exercise to combat obesity, which is a huge issue. My only peeve is that this didn't come out 10 years ago - they had the technology.

Sure, the graphics won't match the PS3 or the 360, but who cares? Honestly? I buy a console because I like to play it. I've owned every single console that I know of, including the grandfather of them all - Colecovision and Commodore. My only hope is that the Wii sticks around instead of making Nintendo fall on their face. Can you say "Virtual Boy"? Note that I never EVER bought any console for it's initial RIPOFF prices.

Take it from someone who also owns every single issue of Nintendo Power magazine - Chuck Norris would highly recommend the Wii.

Now, as for the PS3 and 360, the graphics rock. Yep. Do they help the players get exercise? No, but they might raise your heart rate. Are the games interactive? Yep. As interactive as the Wii games? That's the question.

1990 TSi AWD - Got Boost? demon
1992 TSi AWD - R.I.P
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213761
November 30, 2006 05:48 pm UTC
November 30, 2006 05:48 pm UTC
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Luke Smith Offline
Serious Member
Luke Smith  Offline
Serious Member
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I think the controller for the Wii is an interesting idea. Personally I don't like it. I don't think I would ever buy a Wii. Nintendo lost me after the GameCube. I owned one and bought a few games for it, but never enjoyed it, and ended up selling it and buying my PS2. Classic Nintendo is where it's at. I have still a NES, I owned a SNES, and a n64. These were all great consoles that had awesome games. IMO Nintendo games are not as fun to play as they used to be.

I'll stick with my PS2 for now, and eventually get an XBOX 360 or a PS3.

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD w/ 2Ga Eclipse conv.
*1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD* Rest in Pieces

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213762
November 30, 2006 08:17 pm UTC
November 30, 2006 08:17 pm UTC
Fredericton,NB
T
Todd Henshaw Offline
Todd Henshaw  Offline
T
Fredericton,NB
Originally posted by Luke Smith:
IMO Nintendo games are not as fun to play as they used to be.
Many late night parties were enjoyed while playing Super Mario Kart. freak There has not been a better racing game for Nintendo since.

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213763
November 30, 2006 08:40 pm UTC
November 30, 2006 08:40 pm UTC
Waldo Calderon Offline
Insane Member
Waldo Calderon  Offline
Insane Member
Nintendo games are always much better with friends

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213764
November 30, 2006 08:46 pm UTC
November 30, 2006 08:46 pm UTC
Aylmer, Quebec
Gates Perry Offline
Insane Member
Gates Perry  Offline
Insane Member
Aylmer, Quebec
^^^ That's what their games were made for. smile

I agree with the Mario Kart statement, that game rocks and I play that game to this day. SNES version though, to HELL with the craptacular N64 version.

1990 TSi AWD - Got Boost? demon
1992 TSi AWD - R.I.P
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213765
November 30, 2006 08:47 pm UTC
November 30, 2006 08:47 pm UTC
parts unknown
john putzu Offline
Serious Member
john putzu  Offline
Serious Member
parts unknown
Hey James look at the statment above that. How would you like me to back it up? Do you want all the tecnicial specs on every part. Go get a gaming mag I am not your teacher.

Also as much as you think you know, you should already know what the differences are. If you don't too bad.

Just enjoy your Will. Okay now I done with this.

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213766
November 30, 2006 08:54 pm UTC
November 30, 2006 08:54 pm UTC
Waldo Calderon Offline
Insane Member
Waldo Calderon  Offline
Insane Member
Hey James look at the statment above that. How would you like me to back it up? Do you want all the tecnicial specs on every part. Go get a gaming mag I am not your teacher.

Also as much as you think you know, you should already know what the differences are. If you don't too bad.

Just enjoy your Will. Okay now I done with this.
How bout in your own words using 50 or less you can explain why you feel the PS3 is "the best".

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213767
November 30, 2006 11:16 pm UTC
November 30, 2006 11:16 pm UTC
parts unknown
john putzu Offline
Serious Member
john putzu  Offline
Serious Member
parts unknown
Waldo not you too!!!

How about you in your own words using 50 or less can explain why I should! santa

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213768
November 30, 2006 11:25 pm UTC
November 30, 2006 11:25 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Does it really matter? Who really cares which one is better, everyone is entitled to their own opinion so leave it at that. This started out as a good review but has now turned into a free frall of which system is better.

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213769
December 01, 2006 12:10 am UTC
December 01, 2006 12:10 am UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
It's a neat concept. I'd like to try it sometime, so hopefully a friend will get it.

I got XBOX 360 a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it.

The one downside to the Wii is if you have a bunch of your guy friends over to play it. A few hours later you're going to have a bunch of stinky sweaty guys in your house...

1997 Eagle Talon TSi - JDM 6 bolt = SOLD!
2008 Mistubishi Lancer GTS
2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213770
December 01, 2006 12:11 am UTC
December 01, 2006 12:11 am UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
Waldo not you too!!!

How about you in your own words using 50 or less can explain why I should! santa
Come on John. You made a terrible post with nothing to back it up. Just let it go already. You don't even own a PS3 anyways...

1997 Eagle Talon TSi - JDM 6 bolt = SOLD!
2008 Mistubishi Lancer GTS
2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213771
December 01, 2006 12:15 am UTC
December 01, 2006 12:15 am UTC
Mississauga
James DeCunha Offline OP
Serious Member
Serious Member
Mississauga
Originally posted by Noah Wiles:
It's a neat concept. I'd like to try it sometime, so hopefully a friend will get it.
Noah, anytime you're in the area let me know.
We'll do a mini Missy meet at my place.
Got it running on my projector in the basement, so theres plenty of room

1992 Talon 6/4bolt
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213772
December 01, 2006 02:37 am UTC
December 01, 2006 02:37 am UTC
Saint John New Brunswick
Scotty Mac Offline
Serious Member
Scotty Mac  Offline
Serious Member
Saint John New Brunswick
This should settle this argument once and for all.

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2801521/channel/viralvideo

'92 Laser AWD Turbo

It won't give up, It wants me dead
God damn this noise inside my head
Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213773
December 01, 2006 03:33 pm UTC
December 01, 2006 03:33 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
They didn't do the 'motion capture' thing before because the technology was there, but it was expensive and not all that accurate. Also, noone WANTED a video game they had to do full motion with. Now people are looking for something different, so these are perceived as different and 'new'. Previous versions just flopped.

To me, a video game console is just that. You sit around and do whatever without having to leave the comfort of your couch. If I want to play full-motion golf or baseball, I'll go PLAY golf or baseball. You're not getting that much exercise from the Wii controller motions. They even alude to the fact that all you need to do is 'flick your wrist around' to do the same thing. So you don't have to work up a sweat, or need an open area 10' across to play the game in.

It'd be nice if some kids got into better shape because of it, but I think it'll end up being more of a fad.

It's like me trying to play a racing game with a wheel and pedals. I suck, because I instantly translate to trying to do it 'for real'. You don't get near the feedback that you need, and no sensation of gyroscopic motion. I'd rather have a hand controller so I feel 'virtual' or disconnected.

The Wii? Awesome with cool games. The PS3? Awesome with Insane graphics and cool games. Same for the XBox360. Everyone wins, noone loses. I'll probably end up owning all three...eventually. smile

PS... I object to calling the Commodore computers 'consoles'... and that PS3 vs Wii video is AWESOME, and sums it up perfectly. smile

Re: Move over PS3, Wii FTW #213774
December 01, 2006 09:07 pm UTC
December 01, 2006 09:07 pm UTC
parts unknown
john putzu Offline
Serious Member
john putzu  Offline
Serious Member
parts unknown
Hey Noah if you where on a desert island for the past year, then I would do my best to bring you up to speed on all the new gaming hardware out there.

Your saying that I cannot comment on anything that you do not own? Just because I do not own one. That's terrible statment.

I am done with you too.

bird