July 03, 2003 12:45 am UTC
July 03, 2003 12:45 am UTC
Ottawa, Canada
A
Adam Archibald Offline OP
Adam Archibald  Offline OP
A
Ottawa, Canada
Ok i have a 95 talon TSI with the following mods. Big 16G turbo, K&N intake, 3' exhaust (no cat). I have ripped out the restrictor on the stock boost controler adn have just installed a autometer ultralight boost guage. The car has no problem boosting up to 12psi. It will get to 12psi at about 3500 rpm. It will then stay at 12 psi until about 4800 rpm when it will start to go up until it reaches 15 psi at 7000 rpm. Is this normal? What psi should i be hitting the fuel cut? What psi is safe for stock injectors and fuel pump? Thanks guys and gals

what's all that white smoke?
Re: Is this the way my talon should make boost #31205
July 03, 2003 12:56 am UTC
July 03, 2003 12:56 am UTC
Toronto
D
Darko Miodrag Offline
ok wait, maybe I am
Darko Miodrag  Offline
ok wait, maybe I am
D
Toronto
15psi should be about the max you'll wanna run on the stock fuel pump and injectors, especially on that big 16g turbo.

And yes, it is pretty much expected for it to behave as you described. That's boost creep you're experiencing. Your exhaust is big and your wastegate is small... at one poing it becomes easier (path of least resistance) for the exhaust to just go through the turbine housing rather than the wastegate opening, and you get another few PSI in boost. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, because its only hitting 15 psi.

There really is no certain psi you'll hit fuel cut... it happens when it happens, and it will hit you like a brick wall. You've got the added benefit of a big 2G MAF as well, so you can take on a lot more air before hitting fuel cut. Your next mods should definitely be a fuel pump, SAFC or other fuel computer, and 550cc injectors (unless you plan on going even further than the 16g)... all in that order preferably.