It can be done as a custom jobbie for relatively cheap...if you do the majority of the work yourself.

This is not for everyone though. You must have access to a place to work on it constantly. You must have knowledge of what you are doing. You must understand how a turbcharged system actually works. You have to be able to design and fabricate tubing and piping. Or design it and pay an exhaust shop to do it. Be prepared for huge headaches and setbacks. It's not as simple as finding parts and throwing them on. FABRICATION and ADAPTATION if you're going custom with unknown used parts. If you're not used to stripping down your car and if you don't have access to workspace, it's not going to happen. If you don't understand what it takes to turbo a vehicle, than this is not for you.

Whereas if you buy a kit, you're laughing, plug and play. You pay more, you also have a proven set up that works and you don't have to do any oh teh dirty work.

Or...you can pay a local shop to do a custom jobby for you. It will cost the same as a Kit.

Personally, I would go custom and locate parts myself, do most of what I can myslef. What I can't do, I send out and than install it myslef. Labour costs are what will kill you if you go to a shop.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone on the board to do this for you without some bug dollars. It's not as easy as... "I want a turbo kit, I'll find parts, you install it."

It takes time and effort, not to mention car downtime. Then once it's up and running, with the custom set up, you have to tune it and hope you did everything right. If you did it alright, you end up with a custom set up for noticeably cheaper than a pre fab kit, you also are responsible for anything that goes wrong with your set up. If you missed something vital ad you ahve to go all the way back and fix or add or modify. If this is not you...than buy a ready made kit. It's worth it.

This is what happens when people spend all their money on cosmetics and don't think about speed to back it up. Nothing worng with it, just learn that for your next car, think about whgat you want to accomplish with it before you put a cent into it. Some are into looks, soe are into go...you can't have an extreme both without a much higher budget. Some go, some show is anice compromise.

Think about it. You have 12 into your car. If you split that into half you could have an AWESOME package.

$6000 gets you full suspension set up complete with sway bars and strut bars (2000 at most). New paint, (decent job, say about $1500) Now you got AT LEAST 2500 to spend still on looks. Set of used 17's and rubber, (1000 give or take.) $1500 left for any other body mods, ie light's lips, kit's. That would be tacked onto the price of paint job provided you did it all at the same time. You still probably have money to spare on stereo gear and all that stuff.

Now...the other $6000, any mechanical repairs needed. (provided that you don't need a full motor and tranny overhaul) Full Pre fab turbo kit plus all options, Ie Fuel system, exhasut and FMIC. More upgrades to be had always.

Or you could go the self fab route with that money and have an even FASTER car for cheaper.

You would have a SICK RIDE to enjoy.

Think about this stuff before you make rash decisions with that amount of money. Plan your project vehicles.

My 0.2. I'm not knocking you, just making a suggestion from my expererience with project cehicles. I wish I had 12G's to blow on a car or bike. It would be sick and I'd be in heaven.

-1986 Bastardized Mazda RX7
-2000 CBR 929RR (Street)
-2003 CBR 600RR (Track)
-2000 Chevrolet Xtreme