May 25, 2003 03:31 pm UTC
May 25, 2003 03:31 pm UTC
Calgary, Alberta
Gabriel Shim Offline OP
Serious Member
Gabriel Shim  Offline OP
Serious Member
Calgary, Alberta
Well, I've finally done it. I sent my car to Edmonton for a full Tsi conversion.

1G rebuilt 4G63 turbo (ported heads and Pistons)+ 14G turbo + turbo Tranny + MAF + ECU + harness, etc,etc,etc. ($6100)

ACT 2100 clutch ($583)
dual pod with EGT + Boost gauge ($305)

They wanted $800 more for a used 16G, does this sound reasonable? should I wait and get a used one?

94 Talon ES(Extra Speed)
Re: Getting boost finally #204622
May 25, 2003 05:40 pm UTC
May 25, 2003 05:40 pm UTC
Toronto
P
Peter Harry Cortesis Offline
Serious Member
Peter Harry Cortesis  Offline
Serious Member
P
Toronto
I'm with ya on that one Gabriel.

2G Turbo kit though, from Radim. Phoned him yesterday at the shop, talked prices, etc.

Going Stage 2. I was going to order the Star Performance Stage 2 kit, but in the end, Radim said he can build pretty much the same thing for the same price. So, no shipping, handling, exchange rate, freight, etc.

Front Mount, Blow Off Valve, everything I've always dreamed of.

I can't wait, FINALLY BOOST!

Talonted
Re: Getting boost finally #204623
May 25, 2003 09:31 pm UTC
May 25, 2003 09:31 pm UTC
Toronto,Ontario
Rafal Kuleta Offline
Serious Member
Rafal Kuleta  Offline
Serious Member
Toronto,Ontario
Nice one Gabriel tu

hmm ..personally I'd probably wait for the 16G. In this case ..bigger would be better. How much boost do you plan on running ??

Hey Peter: When it's done ..we gotta compare them. Star Performance vs Radim's custom 2G NT Turbo job.
Though I gotta hand it to the guy .. he does an awesome job.

As far as the Intercooler .. I'm thinking of going to stage 2 myself (either sometime now or early June) ...but I think a good Side Mount might be better off than a big Front Mount.
The Star Kit uses a Front Mount while the Hahn uses a Side Mount ..and apparently the Hahn one is better (or at least thats the consensus on the www.2GNT.com
board). For about 10 PSI a Front Mount might be overkill.

Re: Getting boost finally #204624
May 26, 2003 12:02 am UTC
May 26, 2003 12:02 am UTC
Calgary, Alberta
Gabriel Shim Offline OP
Serious Member
Gabriel Shim  Offline OP
Serious Member
Calgary, Alberta
Thanx guys.

I'll be running 10 psi. I won't be getting a boost controller til next year when I plan to get a front mount intercooler. I thought about the 16G, but my funds are tapped dry now.

How much do 16G turbo's go for with install?

94 Talon ES(Extra Speed)
Re: Getting boost finally #204625
May 26, 2003 01:11 am UTC
May 26, 2003 01:11 am UTC
GTA
Tim Grechin Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Tim Grechin  Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
GTA
Hay Gab,
I don't mean to hate or anything, but putting a turbo kit onto a car isn't rocket science. It's fairly simple. With $6100 you can include that front mount and piping along with the 16G (minus the 14b). It's all about shopping around and doing your own labour.

11.254@132.14MPH - Tractionally impaired
Re: Getting boost finally #204626
May 26, 2003 01:25 am UTC
May 26, 2003 01:25 am UTC
Calgary, Alberta
Gabriel Shim Offline OP
Serious Member
Gabriel Shim  Offline OP
Serious Member
Calgary, Alberta
I have no mechanical skills what-so-ever. I thought about bolting on a turbo and decided against it. I thought buying an engine and rebuilding it would be safer and better in the long run. There are more options in the future for mods and higher Hp gains. A bolt on Turbo may be restrictive due to the disadvantages such as Oil squirter's and forged pistons.

94 Talon ES(Extra Speed)
Re: Getting boost finally #204627
May 26, 2003 03:26 am UTC
May 26, 2003 03:26 am UTC
Toronto
P
Peter Harry Cortesis Offline
Serious Member
Peter Harry Cortesis  Offline
Serious Member
P
Toronto
Ya, Rafal....... Radim and I talked about the Star kit, and he told me he thinks the Star kit is better then the Hahn, and it is also cheaper.

In the end, I figured I'll just have him build it, (hopefully it'll look as nice as a name brand kit). I'm assuming for the prices we talked, its a 14b that'll be going on. I have ALOT AND ALOT of learning to do now that I'm in turbo land.

Talonted
Re: Getting boost finally #204628
May 26, 2003 04:03 am UTC
May 26, 2003 04:03 am UTC
North Bay Ontario
Kevin McDonald Offline
Serious Member
Kevin McDonald  Offline
Serious Member
North Bay Ontario
Hey Peter Ive sent you a pm

Re: Getting boost finally #204629
May 31, 2003 01:04 am UTC
May 31, 2003 01:04 am UTC
Calgary, Alberta
Gabriel Shim Offline OP
Serious Member
Gabriel Shim  Offline OP
Serious Member
Calgary, Alberta
Tomorrow is finally here for me to pick up my car. Yay. I get to take the greyhound bus to Edmonton from calgary at 9am and arrive at 12:45. I'm very excited except for the fact that the mechanic told me that a WRX hit my bumper on Monday. Took me a few days to get over it. The wrx owner said he will pay for all the damages.

94 Talon ES(Extra Speed)
Re: Getting boost finally #204630
June 01, 2003 02:04 pm UTC
June 01, 2003 02:04 pm UTC
Calgary, Alberta
Gabriel Shim Offline OP
Serious Member
Gabriel Shim  Offline OP
Serious Member
Calgary, Alberta
The conversion is finally complete but there a small problem. The car won't idle steadily. I think the air/fuel ratio is off. Could this be becuz of wiring? I also notice that when I let go of the gas around 3000 RPM, the boost suddenly drops and the car makes a jerking motion. Can anyone help? The mechanic is also looking into this when I return the car in a couple of weeks. He thinks the wiring might be wrong.

94 Talon ES(Extra Speed)
Re: Getting boost finally #204631
June 05, 2003 12:25 am UTC
June 05, 2003 12:25 am UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
what MAS did he use?

you MUST use a Turbo MAS(MAF) if you are running 450s and Turbo ECU.

Otherwise the car will be pig rich!

Amin

Re: Getting boost finally #204632
June 05, 2003 12:27 am UTC
June 05, 2003 12:27 am UTC
Calgary, Alberta
Gabriel Shim Offline OP
Serious Member
Gabriel Shim  Offline OP
Serious Member
Calgary, Alberta
it is a turbo MAF.

94 Talon ES(Extra Speed)
Re: Getting boost finally #204633
July 03, 2003 03:40 am UTC
July 03, 2003 03:40 am UTC
Calgary, Alberta
Gabriel Shim Offline OP
Serious Member
Gabriel Shim  Offline OP
Serious Member
Calgary, Alberta
It's been a little over a month and they finally fixed the Idling problem. The ECU was from a 90 laser. Apparently the ECU from that year is different from all other 1G's. I now am faced with other problems. I've got a leak from where the shifter attachs to the tranny, the oil pan is leaking. Are these simple fix's? The place that I got the conversion wants more money to fix the problems. I said no way, they said get the f%$# out then.

94 Talon ES(Extra Speed)
Re: Getting boost finally #204634
July 03, 2003 05:14 am UTC
July 03, 2003 05:14 am UTC
Canada
T
Trevor Kuebler Offline
Trevor Kuebler  Offline
T
Canada
Originally posted by Gabriel Shim:
It's been a little over a month and they finally fixed the Idling problem. The ECU was from a 90 laser. Apparently the ECU from that year is different from all other 1G's. I now am faced with other problems. I've got a leak from where the shifter attachs to the tranny, the oil pan is leaking. Are these simple fix's? The place that I got the conversion wants more money to fix the problems. I said no way, they said get the f%$# out then.
has it always leaked since you got it? Then they SHOULD fix it.

Re: Getting boost finally #204635
July 04, 2003 02:34 am UTC
July 04, 2003 02:34 am UTC
Calgary, Alberta
Gabriel Shim Offline OP
Serious Member
Gabriel Shim  Offline OP
Serious Member
Calgary, Alberta
I think I've been pretty patient. I called them the night before and they said they car will be ready on sat. I took the Greyhound from Calgary to Edmonton to pick up my car on Sat. I got to Edmonton at noon and they haven't finished my car. I waited till around 8pm and drove off with an idle problem they couldn't fix. They told me to come back and they would fix the problem. I drove back to Calgary and when I got home, I noticed the Turbo oil return line was leaking like a crazy horse all over my garage the next day. I called them and they they said they would fix the idle as well as the return oil line.

A week wednesday later, I left Calgary at 6 am and arrived in Edmonton around 9am. The shop said the problem should take a few hours at most. Me and my girlfriend walked to West Edmonton Mall. At noon I called to see how it was going. They said it could take a few more hours. we walked back to the shop by 3pm and they weren't finished. We walked in the garage and they were just in the middle of finishing the return oil line. I asked if they solved the Idling problem and they said not yet. Basically we waited till 7pm and no solution accept fixing the leak (took all day to fix a leak). We drove home with the car bogging and jerking again.

The next in my garage, I noticed other leaks now. I had to take my car to a body shop to get my bumper fixed. I asked the mechanic at the bodyshop to have a look underneath the car to see if anything is leaking. YES!!! The oil Pan is leaking and the shift lever sealant is leaking oil, as well as the coolant. The mech found other problems as well. Missing bolts, loose bolts. My heart almost gave way.

I called the the shop that did my engine conversion and the owner said he would look at it. I made arrangements for the following Sat to drive up to Edmonton again and leave it for a week for them to inspect and fix it. I took the bus the follwing sat and found them still working on my car. I was like WTF, what did they do all week? I asked them what have they done. The owner said he spent over 20 hours on my car. He replaced the rad hose, the gasket on the thermostat, put the missing bolts on, and tightened some bolts, and took my intake manifold out and checked for leaks and cleaned it out. He also rechecked the wiring on the conversion. The resort, he decided to switch ECU's that morning and that fixed the problem.

Anyways, I asked him about the leaking tranny and oil pan. He said the proble was the coolant leaking that made it look like the tranny was leaking oil. I'm like WTF, I know the difference between coolant and oil. He then said the oil could of been from the other engine when they took it out. I said it cou;dn't of been since I've wiped all the undercarriage before leaving Calgary. He said the problem was too little, considering the engine and tranny was used. I told him that I had the understanding that everything was in good shape and no leaks considering I spent a lot of money. He replied by saying that he couldn't please me no matter what. He said he spent 3 sat working on my car when they weren't even open on Sat. well, Why were they working on my car on sat when the agreement was to just pick up my car on sat. I travelled 300 km JUST to pick up my car, they had 5 days to work on it. And he made me feel like I should be grateful for fixing all my leaks. I wouldn't have any leaks if it was done right the first time.

Anyways, he said he could fix my car but would have to charge me. I said NO. he then told me to get the F@#$ out of his shop.

Well, I took my car to 2 shops and they said the same thing. My shift lever sealant is leaking too much and my oil pan is leaking as well. I told the 2 shops that the mech who installed the tranny and engine thought it was coolant, they laughed.

I am so mad right now. what can I do?

94 Talon ES(Extra Speed)
Re: Getting boost finally #204636
July 06, 2003 01:10 am UTC
July 06, 2003 01:10 am UTC
london ontario
Nathan Mather Offline
Nathan Mather  Offline
london ontario
hey there is a place in T.O (Progresiveracing) they do hondas but he told me for the swap front mounted cooler, blow off valve, cluch,trany for $5000 but thats still FWD where u going AWD???

Re: Getting boost finally #204637
July 06, 2003 03:43 am UTC
July 06, 2003 03:43 am UTC
Calgary, Alberta
Gabriel Shim Offline OP
Serious Member
Gabriel Shim  Offline OP
Serious Member
Calgary, Alberta
I just got a Tsi FWD conversion.

94 Talon ES(Extra Speed)