Recently broke a shifter linkage, Ive got a spare from my old car which began as an auto then made Manual. The cables I took out of that 91, have one adjustment just below the shifter boot in the car.
I have saved the shifter base that matches up with the cables I got from my old car.
My red car now, have two adjustments under the shifter boot, on the in car side.

Searching brought me to this:
90blacktsiawd
10-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Ah yes i forgot about the shifter and brackets. The shifter levers on a 90 tranny are different than a 91-94 as well. According to Jon Ripple @ TRE combining the 90 shift levers with the 91-up shifter assembly and cables creates a short shift setup. Off hand i can't remember what the difference is. I believe that the 90 arms are set up for a longer throw to compensate for the shorter throw on the shifter of a 90 where as the 91-up have a longer throw (or should i say the selector arm is longer there by creating a shorter throw). If you combine the longer selector arm of the 91-up setup, which includes the correct shift cables, with the longer shifter arms it will reduce the throw neccesary to move the shifter from gear to gear.

There is actually a couple old threads on this site about this setup. I also got this info straight from the horses mouth (Jon @ TRE).
Linky to info

Can someone just clarify this, Can I use the cables I have spare, or do I have to get a set of ones that are exact like my car.

Duramax