Upon doing some more reading about "limp" mode, I think I have a better understanding of what was happening. It's not that my car is shifting up or down, it's that a sporadic signal from my TPS or other component is throwing the car into a single gear mode (2nd or 3rd) and setting my tranny fluid line pressure to high-pressure mode. Causing the high rev and the lack of shiftability. This is so I can "limp" home and get it sorted out.

So this is happening both at low and high speed with my car, it's not that it wont up shift, or suddenly down shifts, it's that it's jumping into Limp and the tranny will only access a single gear.

I'll order that TPS today, put my MAF back on and see if the issues dissipate. Fingers crossed.

On that note I'm also considering selling the car. The more I look into DSM vehicles the more I'm sad I'm in an ESI. The fun lies in the AWD, the turbo, and most basic of all a manual transmission. If I can repair it, I still have a vehicle that's safety is good for another week or two, and with a valid E-test. So I might make a few bucks and start TSI shopping.