Originally Posted by Bradley Woodward
I run a switch to my fans so I can keep them on all the time,easier then booting up link.

Oil coolers are good insurance but I don't think they are strictly necessary. Your oil and coolant temps are usually pretty close after 10 or 15 minutes. With a coolant to oil cooler your temps should stay in the butter zone as long as you have good coolant temps. Remember that low oil temps are JUST AS BAD as high oil temps, the entire oil system was built to run at 200-210F. A bit lower is OK, but below 190F (thermistat temp) I suspect things will be out of their design range. Ever notice you turbo whines a bit until the car is warm? That is oil viscosity changing with temp!

From what I've heard you are probably better off with a trans cooler (yes for manuals), though again, if your coolant temps are under control your trans temps will be not TOO bad (aluminum bell housing connected to engine means everything runs around the same temp after you get warm) but according to my research spraying cooler oil on the gears will help them not explode.

I worry about adding the oil cooler to my Mini. Its my Daily during the winter and have the same thought of the oil staying too cold or extend warm up times. I have a thermostat that i would like to put inline for bypassing the oil cooler until required temperature is reached.

Never fear a challenge,
Amateurs built the Ark,
Professionals built the Titanic.