I figure I should chime in on this thread, as I have some experience with tattoos.

1) It doesn't matter where you get it, the sh!t hurts regardless, anyone who tells you their tattoo didn't hurt is a liar. The level of pain and type of pain do change depending on the spot. Inner forearms are more of a pinching sharp pain, Outer forearms are more of a blunt pain. I do not find getting my outer forearms tattooed very bad, but inner and close to the wrist is very sharp, feels almost like it's a cutting, not much of a fan haha.

2) Ass cheeks are actually very painful to get tattooed. Your butt is covered almost your entire life, it is not exposed to the elements very much at all, and thus it hasn't built up a tolerance or "callus" for pain. I've tattooed 4 or 5 butt cheeks in the last couple years, and none of them were fun for the client, haha. Another example is the stomach, the stomach is a soft spot, lots of muscle or fat there, but hurts like a mother fracker when getting tattooed. I've seen some pretty tough guys make some real bad faces and have to take a lot of breaks during a 2 or 3 hour session.

3) Never choose a spot on your body based on the pain, the pain is really not so bad unless you get it in some of the bad places. I've got my forearms, biceps, elbows, palm, shoulders, neck, feet, legs, thighs, chest, penis, hands, fingers, etc, all tattooed, they were all uncomfortable but all worth it and I didn't die (although, while getting my palm tattooed, I definitely wanted to haha). Depending on the type of tattoo you want to get, different parts of the body work better when it comes to flow of a tattoo, how it looks.

4) If you get it on your wrist, please do not get it upside (facing you). Listen to your artist about placement, if they are a quality tattoo artist / shop, they will want what is best for their client. Much like me, I always want to make sure that the tattoo looks the best for my client, position, composition / flow, as well as style. Most important part is to listen and negotiate with your artist about a position, we do this as a living, and the good ones know the best spot, with some leeway of course.

5) Another first time tattoo client tip is to make sure you EAT before you get your tattoo done. Don't go in on an empty stomach or you will regret it. Nerves can get the best of you before your tattoo, (I still get nervous and I've got a decent amount of work done) and with that you wont be hungry, but trust me, your body is going to need that sugar. Even a quick banger can drain you if you're nervous. Your nerves will cause your body to become flooded with adrenaline when getting tattooed, once you realize how easy it is, and calm down, that adrenaline leaves and drains you completely. You can feel quite light headed or sick because of this. So eat something like a donut, drink a can of pop, or a cup of orange juice. It really helps a lot. If it's a long session, get that meal in your stomach, your body needs it to endure hours of pain.

For instance, I will not tattoo anyones neck, throat, face, hands, fingers, etc (visible tattoos) unless they have a career that they have security as well as it wont cause issues. For people who get tattooed on the forearm, I always give 2 finger spaces from the wrist for placement. That way, when you're wearing a dress shirt / long sleeve shirt for work, if your sleeve pulls up a bit, it wont show.

In the end, there is nothing else like getting a tattoo. It will be an awesome experience and don't get worked up, just enjoy it! smile

Anyways, if you have any questions about tattoos, tattoo shops, placement, etc etc, I can answer them for you no problem, can either respond in this thread or to pm.

Last edited by Brandon Clement; December 20, 2014 08:55 am UTC.

No more Jetta!
Tattoo Artist at Lost Anchor