Originally Posted by Jeremy Gilbert
VERY interested to see how this new project progresses smile

Do you know if that swap has ever been done before?

I have found 3 but I'm sure there are more out there, I like the looks of the old BMW's and I know 4G63's so we'll see how it works.

Originally Posted by Bryan Lawrence
Very interested as well!!

Ya me too, we'll see if it works, getting the engine to run should be easy as I'm just porting the entire wiring harness over, no splicing.

Originally Posted by Lucian Marta
I'm confused, what's going on? There is a black DSM, a red DSM, and now a BMW all on the same page.

I'm just using the same thread for all of my projects instead of creating new ones, I switch vehicles often. About four months ago I called a friend of mine who has been sitting on two mint Talons for 10 to 12 years without either of them running. I took his black Talon and started rebuilding it, I ended up having to replace all the wiring in the car, the fuel pump melted all the wiring in the tank, I went through two engines and then finally got it running. Once it was running I returned it to him and took his red Talon for my own, I was planning on building it up but after the huge work I put into the black Talon I just couldn't get motivated. I phoned a buddy and was bitching to him about my lack of motivation to build the Talon and he said "Why don't you build my BMW" and I said "Yes sir." A couple days later he drove the car to my house, signed a bill of sale into my name and this project began.

Originally Posted by Salomon Ponte
It's been done and it's quite famous - it's been around for many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5QIVxy_z2U

(This is just one of a number that have done the swap. Not sure there's much documentation though as it's mostly race/shop builds.

Ya, they all seem to be drag race only cars, I know it's the same thing but I have three goals for this car: Hillclimb, Targa Newfoundland and the Bonnyville Salt Flats. I've already started the registration process for a hillclimb in May so I have to get this thing running.

Originally Posted by Lucian Marta
If you ever came to the Shootout you would know this Mr. Jeremy tongue tongue tongue

Originally Posted by Mike Eng
Motor mounts would be a good start for learning how to weld. I would advise a good gas mig, and after mocking up the design, tack it, bring it to the bench and run all your beads in the flat position. Lap joints are also great to learn. Stock up on the same material you'll use for the mounts and get some practice in.

I love the idea of being able to do to burnouts. Really miss it in fact.

Would be fun with line lock. smile

Thanks for the advice, can I just buy a generic Canadian Tire mig or should I spend more? I hate the idea of buying the wrong welder.

Originally Posted by Bryan Lawrence
Found this one too but with a sooby trans
http://e30m3b-spec.blogspot.ca/

Great link, thanks.

Black 4G63t BMW E30