Originally Posted by Bryan Lawrence
Cheap flux is going to make a mess and produce some pretty porous welds.
From what I am reading if you can get a 220v line in there it will make welding a lot easier and gas will be much cleaner too.

Sounds good, thanks. I'll work on getting the 220v into the garage and buying a better welder. One of the things I want to weld is the sunroof panel into the roof, this seems like it should be a good starting point for me.

Originally Posted by Mike Eng
Bryan is right.

And piping is much tougher to weld when first getting started.

If I had the project on my table...

I would;

Use the cherry picker to position the motor in the engine bay where I would need to install the mounts. Considering how the motor torques and use of heavy duty hardware. The longitudinal setup means you'll have to use the roll stops on a customized cross member. Again considering clearance issues with things like exhaust, charge piping, accessories. While the upper motor timing side mount would likely need the rad support.

In fact, the more I think about it.. The harder it is for me to gauge how much work is needed without physically seeing the engine bay and how the transmission is factored in.

The last guy on this board who did what you're about to do, did it successfully in a 1964 valiant. He did post the project on here. Guys name is Dan Falardeau from HP racing.

That may help you with getting some ideas on what to expect.

The intake manifold is another one.

Hell of a daunting task wink

Haha, yes it is. I've decided to take the body to a race shop that I know the owner of to help me with the engine mounts while he's building the cage.

As for the intake manifold I'm converting the car to non boosted brakes to remove the master cylinder. http://store.garagistic.com/e30-boosterless-brake-setup

Originally Posted by Bryan Lawrence
From what I am seeing from the post I put up he only put the roll stops on and the trans mounts, is that enough? do you really need the timing mount?

Oh also what block are you using? a 7? if so the evo manifold is a good choice cause it will be facing forwards instead of backwards like the dsm manifold will be facing.

I wasn't going to do a timing mount.

I just found a 6 bolt block with a 2.3l build on it. I bought it a couple days ago. JMF and Magnus actually make RWD intake manifolds for the 4G63. I really like the idea of the Evo manifold though as that sounds cheaper.

One other thing I'm a little worried about is the floor where I believe one of the roll cage mounts will be is a little rusty, I'll ask my cage builder but will he just cut that out and weld new floor in it's place?

My buddy who is co-funding this project is also talking about getting the shell sand blasted, I think I'll talk him out of this as it seems an unnecessary expense.

Last edited by Cody M. Dyck; January 04, 2016 08:37 am UTC.

Black 4G63t BMW E30