May 05, 2006 02:03 pm UTC
May 05, 2006 02:03 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ont
Jerry Rose Offline OP
Insane Member
Jerry Rose  Offline OP
Insane Member
Mississauga, Ont
I used to go white water rafting with Wilderness tours on the Ottawa river every summer but havent been in quite a while. I organised weekender groups of 10+ with a drive up on a friday for campfire n beer then raft/bungee/kayak/etc saturday followed by a relax and caravan back on sunday. Wilderness does a great job and have excellent customer service. Every year was great, the drive is beautiful, had a blast and thankfully the weather was great which helps a lot. Of course we may need a parts/service/tow vehicle if we go up with Talons wink

About $200-$250 per person + tax upfront. $200 for the weekend if you bring a tent or $250 for a basic 4 person cabin shared. For 10+ the organiser gets a free raft but I just discount the amount from all the rafters so 10+ =$20 off per person.

Wilderness Tours
*The site has all the info you need so go there first

The other option which is a bit less complicated to organise along with not requiring three days is a group skydiving trip. The cost is in the same ballpark depending on type of jump.

Swoop
Grand Bend Skydiving

Parachute School

I am leaning towards rafting as its a good group caravan activity and the rapids should be good with the higher water levels and winter run off. Campfire, hot tub, bar, rafting and nice weather = a nice summer diversion. Thinking the weekend after the July 4th long weekend or end of June as weather is generally nice and still have the good water.

This is to gauge interest from serious individuals ( read employed and can pay up front with no refund cause you are a lazy disorganised so and so). If it gets messy or complicated then I will just shut it down and go with a smaller group.

Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85932
May 10, 2006 08:07 pm UTC
May 10, 2006 08:07 pm UTC
Welland, Ontario
P
Paul Kolbuc Offline
Paul Kolbuc  Offline
P
Welland, Ontario
I've been to W.T. 4-5 summers ago, and had a
blast.

If you've never been, you're missing out.

I'd be willing to go again, if i can get the time off of work.

I'm also up for skydiving.

Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85933
May 10, 2006 08:24 pm UTC
May 10, 2006 08:24 pm UTC
Newmarket, Ontario
Daren Peacock Offline
Insane Member
Daren Peacock  Offline
Insane Member
Newmarket, Ontario
I went rafting at W.T.'s a couple summers on the Aug long weekend, & had a blast (of what I can remember rotflmao ) Not sure about every other weekend but that was defently one of their "party" weekends. Good time to go if thats what your looking for.

98 Eclipse GSX DSM82HTA
Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85934
May 10, 2006 09:01 pm UTC
May 10, 2006 09:01 pm UTC
London
Shaun MacLary Offline
Serious Member
Shaun MacLary  Offline
Serious Member
London
Hrmm, I think I'd rather hit the ground going 100mph, then drown. But I suppose I'm up for either.

Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85935
May 10, 2006 09:49 pm UTC
May 10, 2006 09:49 pm UTC
Oakville
Mike Carag Offline
Serious Member
Mike Carag  Offline
Serious Member
Oakville
I'd definately be up for some skydiving if you're setting something up.

Not sure about the whitewater rafting...maybe it's the rushing cold water, the rocks or the thought of drowning that's putting me off. laugh

Quitters never Win, Winners never Quit, but those who never Win AND never Quit are just idiots...
Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85936
May 11, 2006 04:09 pm UTC
May 11, 2006 04:09 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
I can't recommend Skydiving highly enough.

Think of going 160km/h in your car... and then think about doing it with nothing around you but air. smile

Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85937
May 11, 2006 06:19 pm UTC
May 11, 2006 06:19 pm UTC
Welland, Ontario
P
Paul Kolbuc Offline
Paul Kolbuc  Offline
P
Welland, Ontario
For those pulling numbers out of their a**,
terminal velocity is approximately 120miles/hour or 200km/hr.

tongue

Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85938
May 11, 2006 08:35 pm UTC
May 11, 2006 08:35 pm UTC
London
Shaun MacLary Offline
Serious Member
Shaun MacLary  Offline
Serious Member
London
Originally posted by Paul Kolbuc:
For those pulling numbers out of their a**,
terminal velocity is approximately 120miles/hour or 200km/hr.

tongue
actually it depends on the persons mass.

Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85939
May 11, 2006 08:58 pm UTC
May 11, 2006 08:58 pm UTC
Loc: Loc:
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Loc: Loc:
^^^
Well yes, and you would also have to know some other factors such as gravitational acceleration, drag coefficient, air density and the object's cross-sectional area. ponder

I'm not a physisist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night laugh

1993 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
13.8 @ 106 :::: 14.1 @ 117
Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85940
May 12, 2006 12:04 am UTC
May 12, 2006 12:04 am UTC
London
Shaun MacLary Offline
Serious Member
Shaun MacLary  Offline
Serious Member
London
Originally posted by Rob Strelecki:
^^^
Well yes, and you would also have to know some other factors such as gravitational acceleration, drag coefficient, air density and the object's cross-sectional area. ponder

I'm not a physisist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night laugh
I skipped my college physics, just went to the tests, and left one blank, and still got %86. Has to say something lol.

It's so much easier to pretend it's in a vaccum, no friction and whatnot. And gravitational acceleration is usually factored into the formula anyways.

Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85941
May 12, 2006 12:33 am UTC
May 12, 2006 12:33 am UTC
NorthYork
Mehrdad Asari Offline
Serious Member
Mehrdad Asari  Offline
Serious Member
NorthYork
I never been in one to be honest with you , but i love to go if i could manage some time.

Mehrdad

Stage I Long Block 2.00L,Brand New Head,Eagle Crank Shaft,I-Beam Rods,OEM Pistons,Valves,Rocker Arm,HKS: Racing Valve Springs,Adjustable Cam Gear,272 Cams,SS BOv,Turbo Timer,ARP Head,Studs,Prothane Motor Mounts,AGX Shocks,Eibach Spring Pro,3" Exhaust
Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85942
May 12, 2006 01:08 pm UTC
May 12, 2006 01:08 pm UTC
NiagaraFalls, ON
Paul Bratina Offline
Insane Member
Paul Bratina  Offline
Insane Member
NiagaraFalls, ON
Contrary to what common sense would tell you, the mass of an object has no effect on it's acceleration due to gravity. Believe it or not, ALL objects with a mass will fall at the same speed. The only reason this seems to be contrary to everyday observation is that air resistance comes into play. If, however, air resistance is removed from the equation (such as in a vacuum) ANY object (regardless of size, shape, or mass) will fall at the same speed. This has been proven experimentally many times.

Incidently, just for kicks, there are some experiments you can do in the everyday world (as opposed to building a vacuum chamber). One of the easiest examples is of two similar shaped (but very different massed) objects. Say, for example, a bowling ball and a billiard ball. The air resistance for each will be very similar, but the masses will obviously not be. Drop each from the same height (of course, it's important that the BOTTOM of each ball is at the same height when dropped--otherwise one would have a shorter distance to fall). Believe it or not, the two balls will hit the ground at the same time.

One of my favourite visual examples I ever saw of this phenomenon is of this exact experiment one of the astronauts did on one of the Apollo lunar missions (Apollo 16 I believe). Don't remember if I saw it on some TV documentary or one of those videos on the subject. In any case, the astronaut took a hammer (the kind geologists use to crack rocks and such) in one hand and a large eagle's feather in the other (which was brought along for just this little demonstration). Held them at about chest height and then dropped them. The hammer fell much like it would fall on earth (although quite a bit slower since the moons gravity is about one sixth of earth's) but the feather fell straight down just like the hammer. Of course, they both hit the lunar dust at the same time. Quite nifty to see a feather fall straight down. Of course on earth it would flutter as it fell. It flutters because of the air. There's no air on the moon--thus no fluttering.

Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85943
May 12, 2006 10:11 pm UTC
May 12, 2006 10:11 pm UTC
London
Shaun MacLary Offline
Serious Member
Shaun MacLary  Offline
Serious Member
London
Originally posted by Paul Bratina:
Contrary to what common sense would tell you, the mass of an object has no effect on it's acceleration due to gravity. Believe it or not, ALL objects with a mass will fall at the same speed. The only reason this seems to be contrary to everyday observation is that air resistance comes into play. If, however, air resistance is removed from the equation (such as in a vacuum) ANY object (regardless of size, shape, or mass) will fall at the same speed. This has been proven experimentally many times.

Incidently, just for kicks, there are some experiments you can do in the everyday world (as opposed to building a vacuum chamber). One of the easiest examples is of two similar shaped (but very different massed) objects. Say, for example, a bowling ball and a billiard ball. The air resistance for each will be very similar, but the masses will obviously not be. Drop each from the same height (of course, it's important that the BOTTOM of each ball is at the same height when dropped--otherwise one would have a shorter distance to fall). Believe it or not, the two balls will hit the ground at the same time.

One of my favourite visual examples I ever saw of this phenomenon is of this exact experiment one of the astronauts did on one of the Apollo lunar missions (Apollo 16 I believe). Don't remember if I saw it on some TV documentary or one of those videos on the subject. In any case, the astronaut took a hammer (the kind geologists use to crack rocks and such) in one hand and a large eagle's feather in the other (which was brought along for just this little demonstration). Held them at about chest height and then dropped them. The hammer fell much like it would fall on earth (although quite a bit slower since the moons gravity is about one sixth of earth's) but the feather fell straight down just like the hammer. Of course, they both hit the lunar dust at the same time. Quite nifty to see a feather fall straight down. Of course on earth it would flutter as it fell. It flutters because of the air. There's no air on the moon--thus no fluttering.
That'd be great if we were talking about Acceleration due to gravity, but we were talking about terminal velocity.

Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85944
May 15, 2006 09:30 pm UTC
May 15, 2006 09:30 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ont
Jerry Rose Offline OP
Insane Member
Jerry Rose  Offline OP
Insane Member
Mississauga, Ont
Well skydiving is out for now as being over the max height/weight limit for the gear of 220kg.

Since most of you guys would rather discuss your lack of knowledge about physics rather than a rafting trip I guess interest is low.

A call to a friend who is the operations manager for the Rude Native restaurants and she is in with enough people for at least one raft or maybe two. One is her Molson rep who will most likely sponsor the liquid entertainment and the majority of the rest will be Rude Native beauties and friends. So at this point you slackers are out of luck but any serious guys that want to get in should let me know asap. The raft date has been tentatively set for Friday July 14th to Sunday the 16th. I will start taking names, getting waivers and paperwork done for a booking.

Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85945
May 17, 2006 02:12 pm UTC
May 17, 2006 02:12 pm UTC
London, ON
sarah prescott Offline
Serious Member
sarah prescott  Offline
Serious Member
London, ON
sounds pretty fun.....is anyone else from the London area thinking of going??

Yeeow! Nothing like a paradigm shift without using the clutch!
1995 TSI AWD - My new project!!
1995 ESI - somebody BUY IT!!
Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85946
May 17, 2006 11:16 pm UTC
May 17, 2006 11:16 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ont
Jerry Rose Offline OP
Insane Member
Jerry Rose  Offline OP
Insane Member
Mississauga, Ont
Pricing $194 for a bring your own tent to about $240 inclusive for a 4 or 6 person chalet shared.

Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85947
May 19, 2006 12:29 pm UTC
May 19, 2006 12:29 pm UTC
Ottawa
Yasar Issa Offline
Serious Member
Yasar Issa  Offline
Serious Member
Ottawa
Jerry I would be intrested but just in the the
White Water rafting.. Camping aint my thing laugh

If you can hook my city boy ass up that would be
cool also I get to meet some of you guys

LMK

Later

96GST --> Sold
97TSI 13.00@104 <--Sadly SOLD
2003 Mustang New Project
Re: Interest in white water rafting or sky diving weekender this summer? #85948
May 24, 2006 11:49 pm UTC
May 24, 2006 11:49 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ont
Jerry Rose Offline OP
Insane Member
Jerry Rose  Offline OP
Insane Member
Mississauga, Ont
$242 all in booked for a saturday raft for up to 12 people in cabins. Need money before June 14th.