February 11, 2002 02:33 pm UTC
February 11, 2002 02:33 pm UTC
toronto, ontario
F
feroz hajizadeh Offline OP
feroz hajizadeh  Offline OP
F
toronto, ontario
Just another darn winter day, well i was stuck in snow for like 10 min., i tried to stir left or right but no luck until my buddies showed up and we managed to push it out the snow. But now i have sligt problem, my steering-wheel is very very stiff....i check the fluid and is full. I just dont know how being stuck in snow would some how affect my steering-wheel to stiffen up. i can stir easily once the car has some momentum but as soon as i slow down then my tricepts gets the best work-out. Some advise and suggestion would be greatly appreciated before i head to my mechanic.
thanks

[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: feroz hajizadeh ]

[ February 25, 2002: Message edited by: feroz hajizadeh ]

Re: electrical questions #95976
February 11, 2002 02:48 pm UTC
February 11, 2002 02:48 pm UTC
Dundas
B
Brian Wylie Online content
Serious Member
Brian Wylie  Online Content
Serious Member
B
Dundas
Hey Feroz.

I had this problem last year with my turbo Mazda.
I wasn't stuck, but the car was bouncing around on top of the snow and the snow was hitting the bottom of the car.

When I hit one time, it hit the power steering belt and made it come off.

Check you're belt. Maybe it came off when it was in the snow.

Hope this is you're problem and it's an easy fix.

Re: electrical questions #95977
February 11, 2002 06:30 pm UTC
February 11, 2002 06:30 pm UTC
Niagara Falls Ontario
Vince Amato Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Vince Amato  Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Niagara Falls Ontario
When a bunch of us were having fun in 2 feet of snow the engine compartment was filled with snow my power steering belt came off.

Check to see if it's still on. But if this is the case your dash should have lit up like a Christmas tree. The water pump is driven by the same belt so it would be good to have that belt on there wink

91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 13.2 @ 105mph SOLD

http://1000q.dsm.org/
Re: electrical questions #95978
February 11, 2002 06:45 pm UTC
February 11, 2002 06:45 pm UTC
toronto, ontario
F
F
toronto, ontario
thanks for the reply guys,
Well, i have already driven it about 50km, so if it would have been the belt then i should have at least seen some temperature increase or some sort of light on the dash, which none lid up. I will check for belt once i finish work today, any suggestion as which specific area i should look in for, once i open the hood as to be honest i would not be able to tell the difference between other belts but then again i should look for an empty polly, i guess.
thanks once again.

Re: electrical questions #95979
February 11, 2002 11:12 pm UTC
February 11, 2002 11:12 pm UTC
Prince Edward Island
Andrew Stewart Offline
Andrew Stewart  Offline
Prince Edward Island
The power steering belt does not run the water pump. The water pump runs the power steering pump so there will not be any increase in temperature. Pop the hood and look directly in front of the timing belt cover. Its the pump right there. Its the easiest one to see. No lights will come on the dash.

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
-11.468 @ 121.27 MPH-
Re: electrical questions #95980
February 12, 2002 04:20 am UTC
February 12, 2002 04:20 am UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
There are two belt
one from crankshaft(down) to Alternator and Wter pump right at the heart of the engine and another smaller one form thatcenteral puuly to steering punp which has two highpressure hoses going into it. That's the one!

The belt could be a cause but the case with mine is something else and that happens when the car is left for along time in cold.( I had apost here for it a while ago)

Park the car for couple of hours in a warm place like an underground garage. That would most probabely solve the problem.

My guess is either:

1. some moisture has peneterated the system and freezes and that is in the very low points of the system which are along the rack assembly so very hard to get rid of.

2. The cut off valve which in my case is speed controlled(so electrically activated) gets stuck and doesn't open so the car is always in a "Cut Off" mode.

Because when it happenes it not like complete lost power aid since belt breakage makes the car REALLY hard to drive.

By The way I guess this thread should be in the HELP ME section because it's no "Love, Life" affair rotflmao lol

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: Amin Ahmadi ]

Re: electrical questions #95981
February 15, 2002 03:31 pm UTC
February 15, 2002 03:31 pm UTC
toronto, ontario
F
F
toronto, ontario
hi guys,

well the belt is there. Amin, i took your advise on parking the car in warm place which i did..still no go. ..everything is still the same but my tricepts laugh ...i will take it to my mechanic tommorrow if i do get a chance. confused
thanks for the inf. guys.

Re: electrical questions #95982
February 19, 2002 07:02 pm UTC
February 19, 2002 07:02 pm UTC
toronto, ontario
F
F
toronto, ontario
ok guys i took my car to the mechanic and he believes its not the pump because he claims that while on hoist he was able to move the tires easily to both direction but he insists that it could be the RACK PINION(sp) cry Now can you gusy suggest where i could possible get this part from(or does anyone have this part sitting in their garage)..or any place where i could buy it.
your suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
feroz

Re: electrical questions #95983
February 19, 2002 08:16 pm UTC
February 19, 2002 08:16 pm UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
For the exact same reason that he brought up, his conclusion is wrong!!!

My Talon does NOT have a pump and the system is drained but when it's up on jacks moving the wheels is damn easy. It's rather obvious why: becuase there isn't much pressure on it anyways so a little force would do it!
the problem is friction between tires and the pavement!

In my Galant the thing was like that again when the belt went.

but rack and pinion assembly is not something that dies that easy. and I believe if anything happens to it, it will leak all over the place. however you could have malfunctioning valves ...

could anybody enlighten us about the high rpm cut off valve. Is that electrical and if it is, where is it?
That could break, right?

give the www.car-parts.com a shout

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: Amin Ahmadi ]

Re: electrical questions #95984
February 19, 2002 09:00 pm UTC
February 19, 2002 09:00 pm UTC
toronto, ontario
F
F
toronto, ontario
hi Amin,
Now that i think about it, you are right about him being able to move the wheels easily while on hoist. You did mention that if its Rack pinion then there should be some sort of leakage and there is none....electrical confused maybe but we need some enlightment from others as where it would be but if recall a week before this incident i mad the big mistake of lending my car to my younger brother so that he could impress this girl. Well while in the car getting an "OIL CHANGE" from the girl, the idiot had the ignition OFF and the music and heat was in full blast so the battery dies on him. He got a boost but the idiot(again) had the wires crossed so he burned all my fuses. He would have been a death man if he would have not scored, but i had to let him go since it was his first "OIL CHANGE".LOL.

Re: electrical questions #95985
February 20, 2002 03:42 am UTC
February 20, 2002 03:42 am UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
he must have put synthtic oil in himself and have all the spark plugs changed too! rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: Amin Ahmadi ]

Re: electrical questions #95986
February 22, 2002 08:06 pm UTC
February 22, 2002 08:06 pm UTC
toronto, ontario
F
F
toronto, ontario
pure synthetic.. rotflmao ..... so is there anyone that could enlight us about the theory that Amin is predicting and that is

"could anybody enlighten us about the high rpm cut off valve. Is that electrical and if it is, where is it?
That could break, right?"

thanks
feroz

Re: electrical questions #95987
February 23, 2002 04:22 pm UTC
February 23, 2002 04:22 pm UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
ANybody any info about the much talked about
Cut Off Valve?

Where is it?

how is it activated?

thanks

Re: electrical questions #95988
February 25, 2002 05:00 pm UTC
February 25, 2002 05:00 pm UTC
toronto, ontario
F
F
toronto, ontario
hi guys i changed the the title of message from" need some advise" to Electrical question...me and Amin have been waiting for some suggestions regarding...."could anybody enlighten us about the high rpm cut off valve. Is that electrical and if it is, where is it?
That could break, right?"......if you guys could give us some suggestion, it would be greatly appreciate.