August 01, 2002 03:36 am UTC
August 01, 2002 03:36 am UTC
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
David Robins Offline OP
Serious Member
David Robins  Offline OP
Serious Member
I am having brake problems with a 91 Tsi Awd. Today after many days of noise the passenger rear brake completely siezed up. I jacked the car up removed the tire and the guide pin and slide up the caliper. The inside pads had worn completely down to the point where it came free from the caliper. I picked up a set of rotors and pads at a very good price and decide to take the job on myself. My problem is that I can't get the bolts that hold the caliper to the hub free no matter how much I try. I have sprayed some liquid wrench on them and have decide to leave them overnight the one bolt is now semi stripped. Does anyone have any tips or secret tricks to get the damn thing off? My other question is what would cause the pads to do that, it the caliper stuck? I need to know before the weekend so I can pick up a set of loaded calipers and send back my pads. Also if I cannot get the caliper off I will be needing 1 set of used rear pads so I can drive the car to a shop to get the work done by someone. If any of the missisauga guys want to come and take a crack at it we can meet up before the thursday meet and try, the car is in the Winston Churchill and 403 area.

95,97 Tsi AWD- Sold
96 Tsi scrapped
97 Spyder - Sold
08 Spyder GT - Sold
10 Lancer SE - Daily Driver
Re: Damn Brakes #99262
August 01, 2002 04:00 am UTC
August 01, 2002 04:00 am UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
Dave

Didn't you have 2G?

oh

Anyhow, no matter how long you leave that liquid there it doesn't make much of a difference.

try hitting it with hammer or something. the point os to shake it to break the rust "weld"

try hitting it from all side but of course watch not to strip it more. Maybe put a flat screw driver and hit it from sides. That could be useful. Or even a ratchet extention works there

as well a torch and a nice heating could help you
but heating the bracket might make the job harder. only where the thing is bolted in. Neverthelss temperature shock is good to break them loose

Amin

Re: Damn Brakes #99263
August 01, 2002 05:05 am UTC
August 01, 2002 05:05 am UTC
Toronto
Robert Thompson Offline
Robert Thompson  Offline
Toronto
Hi David,

Another thing I recently read was to try tightening them (a little) first. Don't know why, but from the article I was reading this seemed to break rusted bolts free and then they can then be removed.

Or just buy the largest vice-grips you can find and squash the teeth into the bolt head.

Or use a Dremel, cut a slot and get the largest screwdriver you can find, attach your vice-grips to the handle and pray.

You could also try to drill them out and then re-tap. A scary solution, but it would seem your getting pretty close to this option anyway.

Not that it is related to what your doing now, but just incase things get really bad and you have to remove a stuck rotor as well: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/BrakeRotors.html

Good luck

Robert Thompson
93 Talon TSi FWD
--------------------
? What's a UBB ?
Re: Damn Brakes #99264
August 02, 2002 04:22 am UTC
August 02, 2002 04:22 am UTC
David Robins Offline OP
Serious Member
David Robins  Offline OP
Serious Member
Thanks heat works everytime, Jeremy mentioned it yesterday when I tried. It needed alot of heat and a good set of sockets to get it to finally budge.

95,97 Tsi AWD- Sold
96 Tsi scrapped
97 Spyder - Sold
08 Spyder GT - Sold
10 Lancer SE - Daily Driver