December 11, 2002 03:45 am UTC
December 11, 2002 03:45 am UTC
steel city
V
vlad moya Offline OP
vlad moya  Offline OP
V
steel city
hey guys... just wanna know if anyone has any info on replacing the rad fan motor or finding out whats wrong with it... i recently installed a underglow neon kit in my car, and since then its been blowing all the fuses in the fuse box. so, one relay and some replacement fuses fixed everything... almost!!! when i went to go get the fuses, i asked the crappy tire service advisor about adding bigger fuses, he said adding more should be ok...so, 50 amp fuses went in instead of the oem 30 amp ( they didnt have any 40s) and now the fans dont wanna work.... are they blown??? was there too much power??

Re: rad fan not working!!! #101753
December 11, 2002 07:09 am UTC
December 11, 2002 07:09 am UTC
Vancouver
J
Jonathan Basaran Offline
Jonathan Basaran  Offline
J
Vancouver
Check the fans by powering them by and outside source other than the car...i.e hook them up to the battery to see if they work.....I suggest u put back the oem 30amp fuses....u don't need to run that much current to power the fans....lastly, you may wanna check/replace the coolant temp sensor...as they tell the fans to turn on and off while the engine is running.

Re: rad fan not working!!! #101754
December 11, 2002 08:37 am UTC
December 11, 2002 08:37 am UTC
Whitby/Toronto
P
Peter Filz Offline
Peter Filz  Offline
P
Whitby/Toronto
i asked the crappy tire service advisor about adding bigger fuses, he said adding more should be ok...so, 50 amp fuses went in instead of the oem 30 amp
Your first mistake was asking anyone at crappy tire anything. This guy obviously has no clue about electrical theory.

Unless you want an electrical fire or something put the proper rated fuse back in. Never put in a fuse that is rated higher than what is called for.
They have ratings for a reason.

If you want to know if the fuse is blown just look into its window and check to see if the filament is intact. Alternatively, you could measure for continuity across the 2 prongs with a multimeter.

The fact that your neon underglow kit blows fuses & relays means that there is a short in the system somewhere. If that has since been fixed and your fans still dont work, and they constantly blow fuses, then you still have an overdraw of current somewhere in the system, in otherwords, a short.

You could also measure the field windings on the fan motor to see if there is an open circuit somewhere. Barring that, as was previously stated, use an alternate power source to check the functionaliy of the actual fan motor.

Good luck.

Re: rad fan not working!!! #101755
December 11, 2002 09:48 am UTC
December 11, 2002 09:48 am UTC
Ft.Erie ONT Canada
S
Steve Leigh Offline
Serious Member
Steve Leigh  Offline
Serious Member
S
Ft.Erie ONT Canada
What kind of Neon kit? Most neons don't draw much power at all. I also have full underbody, late frames, under dash /seat neaons and sub box neos as well.
And have never had a problem...
How are they wired? and where do you have them wired into?

I have installed about 8 systems now and have yet to ever have a problem

2007 Toyota Yaris RS

91 LASER RS (N/T) Auto (PARTING OUT)

95 Honda VLX
Re: rad fan not working!!! #101756
December 11, 2002 04:14 pm UTC
December 11, 2002 04:14 pm UTC
steel city
V
vlad moya Offline OP
vlad moya  Offline OP
V
steel city
ok... the neon in the car is all street glow.... when i got the neon, i asked the street glow rep about the install, he basically said its safe to run the neon on a 3-pin switch. boy was he ever wrong... one relay solved that problem and now the neon works flawless. but in that whole process, my ignition switch fuse kept blowing...(relay fixed that cause of the neon) the only problem i have now is the rad fans cause the guy at CT assured me that more current would not be a problem... 50amps replacing the 30s... well... all the fuses are now meeting oem standards, they all have 30s instead of 50s... now... what should i check first? i think i can just use a 12 volt battery and hookem up to the fans... but if its the temp sensor, where do i find that???... my temp gauge in the car still reads...

Re: rad fan not working!!! #101757
December 11, 2002 04:26 pm UTC
December 11, 2002 04:26 pm UTC
Mississauga, ON
R
Rafal Kraskiewicz Offline
Serious Member
Rafal Kraskiewicz  Offline
Serious Member
R
Mississauga, ON
There is a temp sensor on the bottom of the rad that activates the fan. It is separate from the sensor that displays the temp on your gauge (that one is located on the thermostat housing).

'97 Cherokee
'92 Talon TSi AWD
Re: rad fan not working!!! #101758
December 13, 2002 04:31 am UTC
December 13, 2002 04:31 am UTC
steel city
V
vlad moya Offline OP
vlad moya  Offline OP
V
steel city
ok.. thanks for all the info... i checked the fans to see if it was working, i guess it is the sensor because when i hooked the fans up to 12 volts, they work. they just dont wanna turn on... does anybody have an idea how much the sensor costs and if its a pain in the ass to install? i dont think it will be that bad... the 2g 420a has tons of room around the rad!!

Re: rad fan not working!!! #101759
December 13, 2002 02:31 pm UTC
December 13, 2002 02:31 pm UTC
Grimsby, Ontario
C
Craig Watson Offline
Craig Watson  Offline
C
Grimsby, Ontario
Vlad,

I'm not sure about the 2Gs 420a, but when I had problems with the Rad fan on my '93 it ended up being one of the Fuse Links located in the box up by the battery.. maybe something else to look into before knocking yourself out verifying sensor functionality?

93 Talon Tsi AWD

my website
Re: rad fan not working!!! #101760
December 14, 2002 01:58 am UTC
December 14, 2002 01:58 am UTC
steel city
V
vlad moya Offline OP
vlad moya  Offline OP
V
steel city
yeh... you know what... the freakin fan started workin for no reason...!!!!!!! i checked all of the fuseable links and the relay impedance was correct.... yesterday somebody backed into my car and hit my front bumpber... ever since then... it started working....anyways.... the guy is going through insurance to pay for his 1000$$$ estimate from carstar... but im not taking it there !!... gonna see if i can weasel a new body kit out of it!