July 05, 2004 09:46 am UTC
July 05, 2004 09:46 am UTC
Waterdown/Hamilton Ontario
Justin Howe Offline OP
Serious Member
Justin Howe  Offline OP
Serious Member
I am editing my post about a turbo I had purchased off of Wess. I had been told it was in perfect shape from Wes and Marco at Magnus, but to my consideration after having it inspected by a member on this board; turns out it is in no condition to be sold due to the fact that it is blown. I fully trusted both of them as I have very little knowledge of turbos. I checked for sideways shaft play and it seemed ok but i did not check for up and down shaftplay. There was so much play that the compressor wheel actually grinded about a mm of material out of the inner housing. The member on this board took it to the turbo shop to inspect it and see what the initial cost of the repair would be. Turns out the approximate cost of a full repair would be around $1,200. The fact is these knowledgeable persons were trusted. However, now I am left with a blown turbo that is useless. I am not trying to say that it is these peoples fault, and this may have just been a mistake. Marco had assumed that the turbo was in perfect shape and told Wes that it had been, even though he probably never examined it, before hand due to the fact that the turbo was not blowing any oil. The fact is everything was to be in perfect condition, and was not. Therefore, all i want is my money back and this ordeal to be over with.

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD R.I.P.
New car 1997 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150813
July 05, 2004 08:58 pm UTC
July 05, 2004 08:58 pm UTC
Unionville
Wes Swanson Offline
Wes Swanson  Offline
Unionville
thanks for the write up justin ... sorry it took a little longer than planned but my car took a while to get finnished ... justin was very understanding of my position, and was patient throughout so for good measure I threw in a free injen intake ....

two thumbs up for justin

95 Talon
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150814
July 07, 2004 06:37 pm UTC
July 07, 2004 06:37 pm UTC
Justin Howe Offline OP
Serious Member
Justin Howe  Offline OP
Serious Member
I will have pics tonight if someone wants to host them.

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150815
July 07, 2004 11:47 pm UTC
July 07, 2004 11:47 pm UTC
Unionville
Wes Swanson Offline
Wes Swanson  Offline
Unionville
let me start off by saying that what justin has said is true, however he has not told the whole story .. when justin came for the first time (he came twice) to magnus to check out the turbo he had another guy (not marco) check out the turbo and they noticed a tiny bit of side play ... but justin and this other guy (im guessing "lips") had decided everything was fine and it wasnt a big concern ... the turbo itself had low mileage and pulled like a bat out of hell until the minute it came off .. it sat on the bench at magnus for weeks as my engine and head were being rebuilt ... on justins first visit he decided not to take the turbo because it wouldnt bolt up to his stock mani (which is fine) so i was ready to put it up for sale again as I needed the $$ .. I offered him my injen intake for free because I felt bad and the next day he insisted he wanted the package.. the turbo , 02 housing and injen intake were essentially marco's possesion as I owe him a lot of money and he was holding them as colateral, so when justin bought the turbo setup and i threw in my injen intake for his patience throughout the whole ordeal (as the work on my car had taken longer than forecasted and I felt bad for making him wait) justin wanted the turbo and came back for the 2nd time and marco had said the turbo was in good shape ... (keep in mind the first time "lips" actually showed justin the shaft play) ..in any event .. he bought the setup and i had finally started to consolidate my debt and now he bombards me with emails and he even claims that i said it was in mint condition when he knows very well that i know nothing about turbos and had never inspected it myself ..I admit I did tell him it was in great condition, not based on inspection, but I told him that they turbo was perfectly funtional and there had never been any problems with it, it even looked great sitting on the bench at magnus. We were, as justin eluded to, in contact nearly every single day and he knew exactly what I knew about the turbo, namely the low mileage, the fact that it pulled perfectly until the minute it came off the car ... and he himself talked with magnus for quite sometime about the turbo and inspected the turbo on site .... so this notion of assymetrical information is complete bull****

let's put the facts together

(a) justin was well aware of my uninvolvement in the turbo inspection as I was not there to check it out, nor do I know much about turbo inspections

(b) he was happy with the shaft play as per his first visit to magnus and proceeded to come back for the second time to pick up the turbo

(c) I was a nice guy and threw in my injen intake for him because I did not realize it wouldn't be a direct bolt on for him

BOTTOM LINE: I'm not out to screw anyone, and I do not appreciate the accusations ... I told Justin that if I had $1000 lying around I would definately buy it back ... but he was well aware of the circumstances and its not my fault that people told him it was fine and its not ... the turbo worked great for me, and was looked at twice and suddenly now the turine wheel grinds against the housing??? something just doesn't add up .... I told him the facts, he came twice to check it out .. I was more than willing to move on but being a nice guy I tried to help the guy out with a deal so that it could work for him ... he decided everything was fine after two visits to magnus .. purchased the setup and free injen, and now I'm the bad guy

whatever, im done

95 Talon
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150816
July 08, 2004 12:24 am UTC
July 08, 2004 12:24 am UTC
Justin Howe Offline OP
Serious Member
Justin Howe  Offline OP
Serious Member
Well since it's no ones fault who am i to blame? i was told it was this perefect turbo and it was flawless. i was happy with the sideways shaft play but i never inspected the up and down movement then when another member took apart for me and showed me how ****ed it was i email you and you ignore my emails and the one you did send back was was well im a busy guy these days. so im left with a screwed turbo out 1000 with no compensation because well marco said it was in perfect condition well why don't you call him and ask if he even inspected it? because you were not the one that got ****ed over i was and im supposed to be happy with the compensation im not getting **** you told me you have to pay magnus every cent you have and i guess im stuck with this piece of **** why dont you buy this turbo back and sell it to someone else im sure someone else would love this thing.

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150817
July 08, 2004 12:34 am UTC
July 08, 2004 12:34 am UTC
GTA
Tim Grechin Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Tim Grechin  Offline
GTA
Justin,
Few questions before you ruin someones credibility. I know Wes and he's a good guy from what I've seen.

1. What turbo shop did your friend bring it too?
2. Who is your friend from the board who took it apart?
3. Even though it should play that much, if a turbo is dry from oil and coolant, there will always be up and down shaft play. I'm not familiar with the TD06 housing of the 20G, but did you try it with oil running through it?

11.254@132.14MPH - Tractionally impaired
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150818
July 08, 2004 01:17 am UTC
July 08, 2004 01:17 am UTC
Justin Howe Offline OP
Serious Member
Justin Howe  Offline OP
Serious Member
Hey Tim i know wes is a great guy but he doesn't seem to want to help me out here i talked to him almost everyday for a couple months on msn i guess he blocked me after i sent him an email about the turbo though. anyway the member was Carl furman and im not sure what shop he took the turbo to he knew it was in need of a rebuild after he took it apart he only took it there to see how much a rebuild would be also we did not run oil or anything threw it as for the up and down shaft play there was so much that the blades grinded against the inner housing i dont think that there should be that much play. all i wanted was for wes to refund my money and take his setup back and he wont thats the only reason i posted this he was a great guy but then he turned his back and says he can't help me so whatever

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150819
July 08, 2004 01:36 am UTC
July 08, 2004 01:36 am UTC
Waterloo, ON
T
Tim Brown Offline
Tim Brown  Offline
T
Waterloo, ON
Funny you sit here and knock Wes but it sounds like you should be posting a bad guy for Marco as he is the one that walked you down the wrong path you had it inspected by a third party that you both trusted. If you were at all concerned you should of made a deal with Wes to take the turbo somewhere else to have it tested to your satisfaction.

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150820
July 08, 2004 01:51 am UTC
July 08, 2004 01:51 am UTC
Justin Howe Offline OP
Serious Member
Justin Howe  Offline OP
Serious Member
Hows that funny because i got srewed 1000 bucks i trusted marco i asked him if the turbo was in good shape and if the shaft play was fine his answer to both questions was yes i don't know if i should put marco or wes at the top of this thread i gave marco the money for wess turbo i sent marco an email but he hasnt responded i doubt he will wes seems reluctant to help me out now that he has a extra grand to pay off his engine work yes i should have had a third party inspect it but i didn't until after i purchased the turbo

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150821
July 08, 2004 02:02 am UTC
July 08, 2004 02:02 am UTC
Justin Howe Offline OP
Serious Member
Justin Howe  Offline OP
Serious Member
I changed the name of the thread because wes probaly didnt know that there was anything wrong with the turbo im just a little pissed and i dont know who's fault this is i was lied to and trusted a well known dsm shop and it really sucks when you loose 1000

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150822
July 08, 2004 04:38 am UTC
July 08, 2004 04:38 am UTC
SASKATOON
Tyler Hodgson Offline
Tyler Hodgson  Offline
SASKATOON
Buying a used Turbo is like buying used underwear.

HRC turbos are famous for eating thrust bearings.

92 Talon TSI AWD
That's right, that's a banana.
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150823
July 08, 2004 11:45 am UTC
July 08, 2004 11:45 am UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
Justin, this is not Wes' problem anymore. You brought someone with you the first time to inspect it. Sounds like it passed Marco's visual inspection, but he's under no obligation to take it apart and inspect it. You had two opportunities to check it over before passing the money over.

Quit throwing the profinities around. You are mostly at fault here for not doing your homework or at least bringing someone with you that had. It's a hard pill to swallow, but sometimes when it comes to turbo's buying new is the way to go.

Good luck in finding a solution that works for everyone. Maybe you should just sell it to try and regain some of your money. Also sell the injen intake to recover more of it.

1997 Eagle Talon TSi - JDM 6 bolt = SOLD!
2008 Mistubishi Lancer GTS
2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150824
July 08, 2004 04:14 pm UTC
July 08, 2004 04:14 pm UTC
GTA
Tim Grechin Offline
Tim Grechin  Offline
GTA
Originally posted by Justin Howe:
i dont know who's fault this is...
So then why are you blaming people? It's called moral luck... or moral unluck. Weather it was $10 or $100000, the ball was in your court and you acted by paying Marco too prematurely. If you don't know much about turbos, then why did you hand over $1000? Don't say because you talked to Wes everyday and trusted him. That's bull. Wes knows nothing about shaft play or how to test his turbo. The only thing Wes knows is the thing pulled like a mofo, 2 days before they took it into the shop. I know cause I was in it. In this day and age, you trust number one only... yourself. Shoulda learned a bit about the turbos before 'inspecting' it.

11.254@132.14MPH - Tractionally impaired
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150825
July 08, 2004 04:21 pm UTC
July 08, 2004 04:21 pm UTC
Toronto
Eric Chen Offline
Serious Member
Eric Chen  Offline
Serious Member
Toronto
"I admit I did tell him it was in great condition"

You were told by Wes the turbo was in great condition, but in reality it's defective.

No one ever paid Marco to do a full blown proper inspection, he was asked to take a quick glance. That's what you got, a courtesy look.

Get some paperwork by an expert (turbo shop) on why the turbo is garbage. Then bring it to small claims court. Your just going to have a stroke defending yourself here.

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1999 Porsche Boxster 3.4L Conversion
2005 BMW M3
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150826
July 08, 2004 06:20 pm UTC
July 08, 2004 06:20 pm UTC
Justin Howe Offline OP
Serious Member
Justin Howe  Offline OP
Serious Member
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not that these pics make a difference but thought i would post them. Eric ya a few people have pmed me and emailed me about small claims court and a few other things i think that might be my only option at this point.

And for all these people that say it's ,y fault can you not trust anyone anymore i trusted Marco simple as that i always hear good things about his shop and there well known so i trusted him as for his visual inspection i guess it did pass but i thought he would have thoroughly checked it but eh it all my fault anyway.......

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150827
July 08, 2004 07:58 pm UTC
July 08, 2004 07:58 pm UTC
Toronto
Mike Vince Offline
Serious Member
Mike Vince  Offline
Serious Member
Toronto
Well the turbo was being held ransom for money owing so do you think Marco would admit that the turbo had some issues? No he wanted to get payed. Personally I don't think this is very fair, I don't really think its anyone's fault but if I bought a turbo that was suppose to be in good shape, and turned out not to be, I'd want my money back, or a good portion of it. Wes, this is nothing against you of course, from whats been said your a great guy, just stuck in a bad situation.

I was in a slightly different but similar siuation with one of these JDM motor shops. I bought the engine, looked at it there, cranked it manually and it seemed fine. Took it back to my shop, pulled the head and the thing was a mess, the cams were rusted and valves were bent. I returned it the next day to get my money back and had to fight with the guy to get it. It wasn't my fault that there was some damage to the engine that I couldn't really check out on the spot (okay I could have I suppose, I don't think he would have been to happy with me doing that in the store).

Anyways, I hope things get resolved that suits both of you, I know Wes doesn't want the turbo back now, you probably had another installed and you can't do anything with a blown turbo. But on the same hand what is Justin going to do with the bad turbo, he couldn't even sell it for much.

Good luck.

2002 Acura RSX Type S
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150828
July 08, 2004 08:08 pm UTC
July 08, 2004 08:08 pm UTC
Stoney Creek
Torrey Cipriani Offline
Serious Member
Torrey Cipriani  Offline
Serious Member
Stoney Creek
One thing comes to mind after reading this... Buyer Beware! You've gotta always take every precaution before buying ANYTHING used.

And I'm surprised marco gave the OK for this turbo... it's too bad nothing was in writing because if it were, marco would be held accounted for. It's like getting a fake safety on a car that's totalled... (bad example but you know what I'm trying to say).

I guess you just have to bite the bullet and get it rebuilt. Good Luck! laugh

(EDIT: Holy ****, talk about newbies on this board since I registered... I can't believe it's been this long.)

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150829
July 08, 2004 11:13 pm UTC
July 08, 2004 11:13 pm UTC
Justin Howe Offline OP
Serious Member
Justin Howe  Offline OP
Serious Member
Well wes never got back to my email i guess hes going to go and hide and not help me out on this one i expected nothing less from him top notch guy :rolleyes:

oh ya you wouldn't mind if i stopped by and showed you the turbo first hand would you? because i think i will be headed that way saturday

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150830
July 09, 2004 02:09 am UTC
July 09, 2004 02:09 am UTC
Unionville
Wes Swanson Offline
Wes Swanson  Offline
Unionville
Justin I am not avoiding you ... this whole ordeal has just been an awful experience for the both of us .. we had become good friends over the past few months, and the guy knows the ins and outs of my car probably just as well as I do ... he knows the history of the HRC, and I cannot emphasize enough how awful I feel .. I told Justin that he has reason to be pissed because quite frankly I myself would be livid ... but I really am stuck between a rock and a hard plate here ... I know nothing about turbo's to be 100% honest ... all I knew (and Justin knew) was that the turbo was in 100% working order when it came off my car (and yes i have many ppl to back this up) and hence to me and most of us laymen the turbo was in great shape .... held boost consistantly , burned no oil .. etc etc

I'm going to try and work something out but ... call me crazy .... I truely feel that I am not the one to blame here ..

95 Talon
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150831
July 09, 2004 04:37 am UTC
July 09, 2004 04:37 am UTC
Justin Howe Offline OP
Serious Member
Justin Howe  Offline OP
Serious Member
Hey wes i am sorry about all this but i truely felt you were avoiding me and that's what got me pissed when you just kind of dissapered for a couple days and basically saying for me to go screw myself. I know your a great guy we became good friends then when i found out the turbo and emailed you about it you kind of dissapered until i posted this on the board anyway thats all in the past hopefully we can work something out. i know it probaly isn't your fault because you probaly didn't know what shape it was like inside but besides the fact it problay would run fine for a bit but not much longer before it starts blowing oil anyway wes i pmed you about the situation to see if we can find a resolution to this.

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150832
July 09, 2004 07:40 am UTC
July 09, 2004 07:40 am UTC
Hamilton, Ontario
J
Jonny Marszalek Offline
** BOOTED **
Jonny Marszalek  Offline
** BOOTED **
J
Hamilton, Ontario
Bite the bullet? **** that, Okay yeah, if someone sold me that turbo I'd be breaking some ****in legs, and arms too... just for spite. Good thing you guys found a very understanding individual to deal with... When you buy something online or even here on the forums, and when someone ships something to you and it isn't even remotly as described, aren't you gonne ****in want your money back? I don't blame the guy for dragging everybuddy's name that had to deal with this through the mud. That kinda stuff pisses me off, hope you get your money back... and If you can't afford to give this guys money bank for his turbo, then you shouldn't be modding a car in the frist place, start spending it on booze and hookers instead. :rolleyes:

Jonny

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150833
July 10, 2004 01:02 am UTC
July 10, 2004 01:02 am UTC
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
W
Wade Koehler Offline
Wade Koehler  Offline
W
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't know any facts about this situation, but as far as I'm concerned, if somebody doesn't know what kind of condition something is in, he should say "I don't know what condition it's in," not "it's in good condition."

And if he say's "it's in good condition" and he's not sure that it is, either he's a fool or a liar.

97 Talon TSi AWD.
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150834
July 10, 2004 02:05 am UTC
July 10, 2004 02:05 am UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its funny how people attacked Justin and blamed him. He bought a turbo and was told it was in great condition, which it wasnt? So he wanted his money back, if it happend to me id do the same ****ing thing as Justin. Im sure Tim Hunt and Tim Brown would do SAME.

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150835
July 10, 2004 03:05 am UTC
July 10, 2004 03:05 am UTC
Justin Howe Offline OP
Serious Member
Justin Howe  Offline OP
Serious Member
Thanks guys at least you guys understand what’s going on the others are friends with wess so im the bad guy you guys know how it is on this board. Johnny i only have a good temper for so long anyway i did pm wess yesterday and am yet to hear a response from him i guess he just going to avoid this situation for as long as he can. It might not have been his fault beacuse he doesnt know anything about turbos but he’s the one that got the cash to pay for his brand new motor AND TURBO. I once sold someone off this board a CD deck out of my talon that was blown they told me and i refunded there money i did not sit around and go well i didn’t know it was blown im no electronics expect and wess is no turbo expert fact is he should refund my money for selling me a broken product or at least pay for the rebuild if i even decided to do that. I noticed no one is bashing me after i posted the pics????? anyway thanks to the guys that sent me emails supporting me tu if we cant find a solution i guess small claims court is the way to go and i was thinking about going to manus but i will probaly just get the cold shoulder. mad

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150836
July 10, 2004 05:45 am UTC
July 10, 2004 05:45 am UTC
Toronto
Rob Cauduro Offline
Rob Cauduro  Offline
Toronto
this whole ordeal has just been an awful experience for the both of us
Ya right, new turbo doesnt sound like an awefull experience. Make it right then. :rolleyes: God, whats with all the shady people these days??

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150837
July 10, 2004 12:52 pm UTC
July 10, 2004 12:52 pm UTC
Brampton, On
Mark PPG Scheitzbach Offline

Purple Boy
Mark PPG Scheitzbach  Offline

Purple Boy
Insane Member
Brampton, On
ok, we've let this thread be abused enough by people who do not have anything to do with this problem.

Now please, unless you are DIRECTLY involved...stop posting. Lets let the people involved sort it out.

Own a BlackBerry?
Check out www.allaboutmybb.com
Twitter @allaboutmybb

Twitter @MarkPPG
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150838
July 11, 2004 10:12 pm UTC
July 11, 2004 10:12 pm UTC
Unionville
Wes Swanson Offline
Wes Swanson  Offline
Unionville
I just love how we have some cocky ****ers who think they understand the situation ... Justin, I have not been ignoring you ... see what you all need to do is keep in mind that I have a life, and cannot always be online to chat about my car like many of you seem to do... my car is not my life and I encourage many of you to take a leap of faith and find something else to do with your time rather than provide your incoherent ramblings that contribute nothing whatsoever to a reasonable solution ... To those knuckle heads who suggested small claims court ... My uncle is a litigation lawyer, fact is that since Justin had come to magnus to check the turbo out not only once but twice, and because the good is "second hand", he really has no recourse .... anyways .. I will be in contact with Justin and the issue will be resolved cuz despite popular belief, im not that bad of a guy ... but no longer on this website ... Again, I encourage all the smart asses, and "tough guys" to find a life, and if you have something to say .. quit hiding behind a ****in screen and grow some balls

95 Talon
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150839
July 12, 2004 05:30 am UTC
July 12, 2004 05:30 am UTC
Justin Howe Offline OP
Serious Member
Justin Howe  Offline OP
Serious Member
Hey Wes i never checked it out twice i went there twice because i wasn't sure the first time after i found out it utilized a t3/t4 manifold. And what do i have to loose with small claims court it's not like you have helped me out or contacted me since i told you the turbo was blown so please stop saying your going to contact me and saying the situation will be resolved. At this point i am looking for a new turbo so maybe you could contact me soon and let me know what you have in mind to resolve this situation i would really appreciate it instead of being left in the dark

Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150840
July 12, 2004 05:23 pm UTC
July 12, 2004 05:23 pm UTC
Unionville
Wes Swanson Offline
Wes Swanson  Offline
Unionville
post edited

95 Talon
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150841
July 12, 2004 05:37 pm UTC
July 12, 2004 05:37 pm UTC
Toronto
Mike Vince Offline
Serious Member
Mike Vince  Offline
Serious Member
Toronto
Can we all grow up a little here?? I'm not trying to get involved here but it seems pretty cut and dry to me. A product was sold with the understanding it was in good condition (pulls hard and looks good from the outside), it turned out on further inspection that it clearly wasn't in the condition promissed. Wes, what would you do if the roles were reversed and you were in the buyer's shoes? I would look at it that way and resolve it as such.

2002 Acura RSX Type S
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150842
July 12, 2004 06:26 pm UTC
July 12, 2004 06:26 pm UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
Got any quotes or documentation from this rebuild shop for us to see?

How about a second opinion?

1997 Eagle Talon TSi - JDM 6 bolt = SOLD!
2008 Mistubishi Lancer GTS
2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: Wes swanson & Magnus #150843
July 12, 2004 07:11 pm UTC
July 12, 2004 07:11 pm UTC
Justin Howe Offline OP
Serious Member
Justin Howe  Offline OP
Serious Member
Hey well i talked to Wes today and the misunderstanding has been cleared up so far. we are working on a deal with reparing the turbo and everything was pretty much a big misunderstanding on both parts behalf wes is a good guy and hes going to help me out so we will see how it goes from here