May 20, 2005 02:17 am UTC
May 20, 2005 02:17 am UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

This idiot sold me a 93 Talon TSI AWD with a bad turbo and possibly bad lifters for $6000 as is.

It all started acting up within the first day. Seemed ok for the lil drive we went on. A different story after driving it for the first entire day. Turbo givin out, not working right, then a ticking sound from under the hood, now the turbo is gone completely. Makin a high siren type sound, whizzing...No power. Checked the turbo on the intake side. Nice cut halfway through one of the fins on the impeller. Obviously the bearings went, it wobbled and the rest is history. H seems to think i'm to blame.

My point? This guy is selling a turbo timer, Apex Afc, data logger and other accessories. Might want to think twice before buying from this clown.He didn t even offer me a dime for my trouble. BEWARE.

Re: CRAIG WATSON = BAD GUY #151366
May 20, 2005 02:43 am UTC
May 20, 2005 02:43 am UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
While it sucks you had bad luck with the car it was as is and is a 12 year old car. Lifters are pretty cheap ziggy has some for sale and 14 b's are cheap on the board.Thnk lifters around 150 and got my used 14b for around the same.

Most guys won't compensate after the sale. Heck I got burned on my 2g from a dealership and even their warranty is not worth my time to use.

It doubtful mechanics check would have caught the stuff thats wrong with your car. Not sure what you could have done. AS IS means AS IS.

I always assume any used vehicle is going to need something right away or sooner or later. Just too bad it needs it sooner in your car and mine. frown

1997 TALON AWD ,fully built 2.4,FP3065.

99TAWS6 427 Twin turbo,91 TALON race car,08 Z06.

Re: CRAIG WATSON = BAD GUY #151367
May 20, 2005 02:59 am UTC
May 20, 2005 02:59 am UTC
Hamilton
Victor Gerena Offline
pruned
Victor Gerena  Offline
pruned
Hamilton
How is Craig a bad guy for selling you a car he listed as "AS IS"? It was your responsibility to check everything on the car.....

Re: CRAIG WATSON = BAD GUY #151368
May 20, 2005 11:39 am UTC
May 20, 2005 11:39 am UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
Lifter tick is normal on these cars and Allan is right about the 12 year old thing. $6000 is a lot of money for a 93 but it was your responsibility to check it over first. A 2 minute drive won't do anything for you. Did you even get the car warm? Couple of hard pulls?

You're just trying to pass the blame on a poor investment.

1997 Eagle Talon TSi - JDM 6 bolt = SOLD!
2008 Mistubishi Lancer GTS
2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: CRAIG WATSON = BAD GUY #151369
May 20, 2005 12:50 pm UTC
May 20, 2005 12:50 pm UTC
Stoney Creek
Will Belancic Offline
Serious Member
Will Belancic  Offline
Serious Member
Stoney Creek
For someone that is new to this world...or maybe not! You should really watch what you say about people who have been TRUE 2 A LOT OF PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD. I know of the car you purchased...I had driven this car, and also know this car well...I highly doubt what you are claiming...

Lifer sounds...very normal...hell my 15 year car does the same thing...nothing to worry about!!!

People should THINK BEFORE speaking...and do some research.

I am getting sick of people bashing others for their poor knowledge and or judgment.

And that's the Bottom Line.

1992 Jeep YJ "The Turtle"
1990 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD - SOLD :-(
Re: CRAIG WATSON = BAD GUY #151370
May 20, 2005 01:59 pm UTC
May 20, 2005 01:59 pm UTC
Grimsby, Ontario
C
Craig Watson Offline
Craig Watson  Offline
C
Grimsby, Ontario
Wow.. unbelievable.. I really shouldn't need to post here but I can't over look this. Maybe everyone deciding to read this post should atleast get more of the WHOLE story?

Briefly: Yes, Chris bought my car -last week. It had been in the "works" for nearly 2 weeks for the transaction to take place. Chris checked me out at Wildgoose performance and as far as I can figure here, in Club DSM. I gather what was said was ok, the choice was made. It was sold "AS-IS" as any used car is, and to the best of my knowledge, mechanical abilities and care for the car, it was in excellent shape leaving. You did engage me in an interesting discussion prevously tho, about warrantying it, safetying it, e-test, etc... there were options, but nothing including any kind of warranty -do you know anyone except a dealership that would do that? Any of you who know me and know what was my car, know how I took care of it.

I did not sell you a beat up car Chris.. I expressed that to you during our last phone call. You test drove it, it was fine, your friend went for a drive, it was fine. After that first meet, it was in my garage until you came, picked it up and drove it away from here - perfectly fine.

Remember your comments about how different it was to drive than your other cars, and how much you had to learn about it? I suggested coming here reading, learning, understanding the car, to prevent bad things from potentially occuring. I understood your fears of owning a turbo'd car -I was there once too. I extended myself, offering to help with any questions you may have had after I sold it to you. I discussed with you about the different things with the car, the gauges, the gas requirements, the mods, the engine work.. Your call to me A WEEK after buying it, questioning why the "shift light" was on solid, was my first concern...(it was mentioned what that LED light was) which followed with your descriptions of what was now happening with the car. I WAS concerned -that is why I gave you some of my time and looked it over for you. Did I need to? No, I did it because I was trying to help -THAT IS the kind of guy I am (not the kind you are trying to incite). There is nothing wrong with the lifters, they have just over 4000km on them, they were new when the motor was built up. These cars are prone to "tick" on start up, read more about it here in the site. Unfortunately, yes, it was found that the intake impeller was missing part of a fin -something ingested? I can't say. AND.. there was NO bearing play in the turbo (when it was at my house that night) and there was no indication that there had been, I DID check that as well, because I WAS concerned. There was nothing wrong when you left the day you bought the car..

I can't do much about the way that you feel. I would feel something too in that situation, but I can't say my actions/reactions would have been the same. I feel that I have done what I can or even what I should. You paid $6000 for the car, less that what I was asking and you still seem to expect that I warrant it for you as if it were a NEW car. Yes, it is 12 yrs old, but it only has 185K on it, with a basically new motor, new exhaust, etc, etc.. but as I mentioned above, I can't vouch for how my ex-car has been cared since you've owned it, so I don't know how I can be expected to cover costs encoured since that point. It just burns my butt that you feel I intentionally decided to "unload" MY car onto you because I had knowledge that there were serious problems (BTW-If I did that in my career, it would mean heavy fines and potentially other serious repercussions)

93 Talon Tsi AWD

my website
Re: CRAIG WATSON = BAD GUY #151371
May 20, 2005 02:40 pm UTC
May 20, 2005 02:40 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ont
Jerry Rose Offline
Insane Member
Jerry Rose  Offline
Insane Member
Mississauga, Ont
Craig has been around the dsm community for a long time and has no reason to screw anyone over. If the worst thing that is wrong with the car is the turbo you can pick up a used one for $200 or get a new small 16 instead.

My guess is you took it out pounded the crap out of it showing off to your buddies and fubared it. Consider your experience Eagle Talon 101 and your first lesson is learned bah

Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
Re: CRAIG WATSON = BAD GUY #151372
May 22, 2005 02:55 pm UTC
May 22, 2005 02:55 pm UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Maybe I am wrong about Craig, if all his buddies here are as honest as he is. These things do happen, whether it's immediate or later on down the road. Bottom line, **** happens, but stretching the truth can make anyone question your true intentions.

Craig, you haven't been 100% honest with me, so don't give me the "Wanna-be Salesman" speech. This is why it has been tough for me to take your word at face value.

The motor work wasn't done 2.5 years ago and the turbo and / or motor is far from even being remotely new, or having the 4000 km on it that ya claim are on it.. In fact, the motor work was done approx. 5 years ago (I have a paper trail to prove this),giving me every reason to wonder.

Also, ladies and gents, he didn't sell the car with the rims, apparently because his buddy bought the rims. LOL, the last time I was there, when he was checkin the turbo over, lone behold, there's the rims and tires in his garage. Real honest.

Get this...after the sale, he had said that the turbo was put in 2 years before the inital motor problems that came about in 2000. Basically, when he bought this car, he threw in the upgraded 16g turbo because his last Talon was written off and he still had the part.

It wouldn't be too too hard figurng out that there might be a turbo problem, if you're indeed familiar with YOUR car. Also Craig knowing it's a 7 year old turbo, when i'm believing it's around 2.5 years old. I mean, I only drove it for an entire day and it was lacking power, chugging, hesitating, etc... Don't tell me that one day of driving it, hard at times, is going to screw up a turbo with 4000 km on it...LMAO.I had the damn busted up catalytic converter changed because i thought the broken pieces were the reason behind the hesitation / chugging, etc... ( cloggin up the exhaust ). There's some TLC for ya, "Mr I take care of my car." Not to mention, I spent over $600 certifying the thing. It would only begin acting up after driving it for a significant amount of time...After cooling down, it was fine. Got the turbo checked, the guy said it was just old, that these things happen. Well, if I would've known there was an old turbo in it, I wouldn't have bought it. It's really that simple. That is the difference.

Did I forget to mention ? Craig lost his job, the place closed down, so now he's a Real Estate Agent, in his first year, struggling to the max. What better time to ditch off your problem car ? Well, be thankful that Remax is paying your way for the first year....

I don't buy any of this, it doesn t add up. Craig, don't try to minimize your dishonesty with the gibberish that constantly flows from your vocal chords. If there was absolutely nothing to hide, you would have been 100% honest with me about everything. Coming onto a site that is all too familiar for you ( much like your troubled Talon) telling your side of it all,isn't going to change the facts. Even with all the support in the world of DSM. You and I both know the truth, that is all that matters.

Re: CRAIG WATSON = BAD GUY #151373
May 22, 2005 07:02 pm UTC
May 22, 2005 07:02 pm UTC
Salt Lake City, UT
S
Scharok Nieknam Offline
Insane Member
Scharok Nieknam  Offline
Insane Member
S
Salt Lake City, UT
not taking sides, but this is what I have learned about buying a used car:

Dont listen to a single word the seller tells you, not one word! inspect it yourself, take it to a shop for a thorough inspection(if the seller declines, walk away), if and only if you are satisfied with the condition of the car, buy it, and never go back to the seller even if it blows up 10 min after you have bought it!

In your case, I guess you could have taken more time inspecting it and thinking about it and examining your choices.. $6k is quite a chunk of change and depending on who you know, you could have many choices. For example, for $6k I could have bought a 98 TSi AWD with 140k from my wholesaler friends in April.

let craig be, and let yourself be as well, the fact that you bring up his financial troubles/ loss of career will not buy you any credit or sympathy here... you have learned a valuable lesson for the future, spend a few hundred, get a 14b and move on

Re: CRAIG WATSON = BAD GUY #151374
May 22, 2005 07:21 pm UTC
May 22, 2005 07:21 pm UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
This is the problem Chris, you took the car to a mechanic AFTER you bought it. You are supposed to do that BEFORE.

Life lesson learned...

1997 Eagle Talon TSi - JDM 6 bolt = SOLD!
2008 Mistubishi Lancer GTS
2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: CRAIG WATSON = BAD GUY #151375
May 22, 2005 07:36 pm UTC
May 22, 2005 07:36 pm UTC
Trenton, On, Canada.
Ghislain Goudreau Offline
Ghislain Goudreau  Offline
Trenton, On, Canada.
I seen that car before, it is a hell of a clean car. I would of gladly pay $6000 for it even if it would of come without a Turbo and Lifters.

BTW: was nice to hear from you Craig.

Ghislain.

Rouge!!!
Re: CRAIG WATSON = BAD GUY #151376
May 23, 2005 02:39 pm UTC
May 23, 2005 02:39 pm UTC
Brampton, On
Mark PPG Scheitzbach Offline

Purple Boy
Mark PPG Scheitzbach  Offline

Purple Boy
Insane Member
Brampton, On
Chris,
Craig took super care of that car. No question in my mind. he would NOT sell it intentionally with problems. He did however sell it AS IS. That puts the sh!t in your pile.

I've known Craig for a long time and I know for a fact that if he knew, he would have told you.

enough of this now.

ppg

Own a BlackBerry?
Check out www.allaboutmybb.com
Twitter @allaboutmybb

Twitter @MarkPPG