North of T.O.
L
Len Randall Offline OP
Serious Member
Len Randall  Offline OP
Serious Member
L
North of T.O.
If the TPS was not adjusted correctly or possibly the potentiometer is dirty, I'm wondering what the ecu would do with this value

Does the ecu use TPS readings for calculating injector pulse width and possibly result in an incorrect AF mix???? yes/no????

for Automatic cars, I know the TCU uses the tps for calculating shifting points and a few other things.

'92 Talon TSi AWD.
Re: TPS adjustment #20665
December 12, 2001 09:01 pm UTC
December 12, 2001 09:01 pm UTC
Trenton, On, Canada.
Ghislain Goudreau Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Ghislain Goudreau  Offline
Trenton, On, Canada.
Hello Len.

I don't know for sure if the TPS Output is used for calculating Injector Pulse Width but I know that it "can" affect Idle if it's out of Adjustment.

You either need to make Three Small Wires in order to conect it to a Digital Voltmeter or read it's output by using a Dataloger.

The harder part of adjusting it is to loosen the 8mm Lower Bolt. It's in a "Babe" of a Spot...

You can get the TPS Adjustment Procedure in a Maintenance Manual (You probably know that).

Hope this helps.

Ghislain. :rolleyes:

Rouge!!!
Re: TPS adjustment #20666
December 13, 2001 05:41 pm UTC
December 13, 2001 05:41 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ontario
J
Jeff Mitchell Offline

Jeff Mitchell  Offline

J
Mississauga, Ontario
Len,

I just looked through the $2 Technical Manual and for the 2G NTs (420A Neon engine) it does explicitely say that the TPS is used for calculating pulse width.

Unfortunately it doesn't explicitely say one way or the other for the 4G63 engines, but given what it says about the 2G NT I wouldn't be suprised the ECU did use the TPS for PW. This might have been discussed by Todd in the archives at some point?

Re: TPS adjustment #20667
December 14, 2001 05:37 am UTC
December 14, 2001 05:37 am UTC
North of T.O.
L
Len Randall Offline OP
Serious Member
Len Randall  Offline OP
Serious Member
L
North of T.O.
the reason I ask is because my plugs (all) are close to being white on the ceramic portion of the plug. To my knowledge, this means I'm

a) running lean
b) cylinders are running really hot
c) incorrect spark plug heat range.
d) over advanced ignition spark

I've changed fuel filter, new plugs, new wires, set timing at 5 Degrees. This leaves a or b.

The car is 100% bone stock.

What would be the result if the egr is stuck open, would the cylinder be pulling in exhaust during the intake stroke introducing more unmetered air. Could this be possible???

Is it possible that the fuel pump is getting lazy and causing lower pressure in the fuel rail? I gonna see if I can get a pressure guage cheap and hook it up.

The car runs like a champ so I cant figure where the lean condition could be coming from if it is indeed a lean condition.

Thanx for the replies so far.

[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: Len Randall ]

'92 Talon TSi AWD.