April 04, 2004 01:18 pm UTC
April 04, 2004 01:18 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
I like the looks of the magnus intake manifold but not sure like how it relocates the tb lower and you have to relocate battery and coilpacks.Not a huge deal but wondering if the BJ intake is more plug and play or the venom.Relocating the coilpack is no biggie but havening to change the tb pipe is a bit more annoying.Anyone running the bg or venom or other type of intake manifold.?

1997 TALON AWD ,fully built 2.4,FP3065.

99TAWS6 427 Twin turbo,91 TALON race car,08 Z06.

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195574
April 04, 2004 03:30 pm UTC
April 04, 2004 03:30 pm UTC
Newmarket, Ontario
S
Seann Pegg Offline
Serious Member
Seann Pegg  Offline
Serious Member
S
Newmarket, Ontario
Dude stick with the Magnus manifold. If your worried about "plug and play" features with an intake manifold than "you're not ready!!"

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195575
April 04, 2004 03:52 pm UTC
April 04, 2004 03:52 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Sean..I am easily ready..working on this engine is simple for the most part.As said its nothing to put coilpack somewhere and nothing to go to store with magnus to buy fittings for brakes,afpr,etc. Simple as pie and its nothing to install and intake on the car.Also simple as pie.
Only thing is sure its not a huge deal to modify upper tb pipe and get narrower battery or move the bat to trunk either but just wondering if the bg or venom or other ones just bolt on and keep the battery and tb same?
I have my car ripped apart right now anyway for the 50trim as was planning on taking off the old intake to change gaskets so really not much more of a big deal to swap out intakes.I can have the car down for a few weeks even a month if need be have other vehicles to drive.
Anyone on this board have a magnus or other aftermarket intake on their cars?

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195576
April 04, 2004 05:18 pm UTC
April 04, 2004 05:18 pm UTC
Unionville
Wes Swanson Offline
Wes Swanson  Offline
Unionville
Allan ... I'm running a Venom intake manifold right now .... and believe me, Marco said it was a real bitch to install ... It's a great manifold but I'm going to have to go with Seann on this one ... both the Venom and the Magnus will not be "plug and play" affairs and if it were me, I would go with the magnus manifold ...

best of luck with whichever road you choose and let us know how that 50trim pulls ...

cheers

95 Talon
Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195577
April 04, 2004 06:35 pm UTC
April 04, 2004 06:35 pm UTC
Regina, Sk
C
Chris Clark Offline
Insane Member
Chris Clark  Offline
Insane Member
C
Regina, Sk
I still dont know why you need a SM Intake confused

And like Sean said if your worried about plug and play its not for you.

1990 TSi AWD - Parked since I bought it (Jan24/03)
Had it out one day, and busted the trans.
Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195578
April 04, 2004 08:23 pm UTC
April 04, 2004 08:23 pm UTC
Newmarket, Ontario
S
Seann Pegg Offline
Serious Member
Seann Pegg  Offline
Serious Member
S
Newmarket, Ontario
Dude don't take to much of what I say to heart...I'm a mouthy smart ass. Truth be told majority of these manifolds are not a direct swap. You have to do a little customizing here and there.

I'm working on a FAQ for our manifolds on the Magnus site as we speek and I have also spoken with Marco about offering a more "user friendly" kit with them to include new custom upper pipes to make the swap much easier however even as a package deal it will still increase the costs of the manifold.

As far as the design I will not get into it with other manufacturers products as I would like to be professional however I will say our manifold was not developed overnight. It has been through a lot of testing and has been utilized and performed well in a variety of different applications from drag cars to mild street machines.

If you need anymore help or info feel free to call me at Magnus or email me at
caker@magnusmotorsports.com

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195579
April 04, 2004 08:52 pm UTC
April 04, 2004 08:52 pm UTC
Regina, Sk
C
Chris Clark Offline
Insane Member
Chris Clark  Offline
Insane Member
C
Regina, Sk
Its a no brainer to go with a Magnus. Whats a little custom modding, its not a big deal. You dont need one before you are running 11's

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195580
April 05, 2004 07:11 am UTC
April 05, 2004 07:11 am UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Chris you are starting to preach a little there guy.. wink

An intake manifold swap even a magnus is not a big daunting scary job.Try changing spark plugs on my lt1 camaro vert or doing other work to a car where half the engine is under the cowl like my ls1,try changing valve springs with the heads on the car. eek

So far the talon is very simple and straight forward.I was reading other forums and a lot of people seem to like the venom intake I think it was.The magnus lookes sweet ,is decent price and is Canadian.I am still leaning to it.

And who said I only want to go 11s. laugh Current plans were the 50 trim and fuel and clutch mods which I have and then big fmic still deciding which one or if should just get core and do the piping myself.And then some cams.This was the plan for this year.And next year the plan was intake and some spray.Already have a bottle from my ls1 kit.I just might be able to move up my timetable and do all that stuff this year if really want to.Seems revenue canada likes me again and has approved my refund.

Now I can't help it if the talon is my work car too and I also can deduct my new turbo,intercooler ,cams and intake.After all the old stuff is well...old!! laugh

Anyway the only hard parts of the intake install seem to be changing the intercooler piping to the tb which is now lower and getting thinner bat or putting it in trunk or something for clearance.That don't seem too bad.
And Dre the guy getting like 500rwhp on a 50 trim has a magnus and said he picked up like from 380rwhp to 420rwhp just with the intake not sure if he had the green or agp at the time.
Sounds like a good gain to me.

And you can come by to visit me in next few days and can give you some cash for those parts.
And of course if you feel like helping out a bit thats fine too. laugh

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195581
April 06, 2004 02:44 am UTC
April 06, 2004 02:44 am UTC
SASKATOON
Tyler Hodgson Offline
Tyler Hodgson  Offline
SASKATOON
I've done all that work too Al. And I still consider installing the intake on the car a difficult task because of the customizing needed.

If you are thinking Venom is better, why don't you do some more searching and find out why most people have to get the welds redone after they crack and leak. Just because you can read something about some guy made a big power jump over just an intake swap. Keep dreaming, it's not all true and some gains were made after spending 5 hours on the dyno tuning with a standalone. You don't even know what the car will feel like after the 50 trim.

Don't preach about what you don't know or haven't done. You are the misinformation virii.

92 Talon TSI AWD
That's right, that's a banana.
Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195582
April 06, 2004 03:11 am UTC
April 06, 2004 03:11 am UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Now Tyler..theres that attitude again. :rolleyes: So far since I bought my car I have heard the doom and gloom mostly on this board about how hard it is to work on or how I will blow it up .How you should walk before you run etc.

Its mostly all crap.The car is easy to work on so far and me and buddy have already easily done the fuel filter ,new pump,injectors,and bunch of little stuff and it hasn't been hard to work on at all.Its actually been very simple.Cam changes look very easy.Lifter changes are easy.
We already know plug changes and wires are super easy.I haven't seen anything overly complicated on this engine yet.
And the engine has safeties.It has a knock sensor and while it might even work a bit too well in the 1gs especially it does usually prevent you from blowing your engine up.And only a moron would run super high boost on pump gas and still with a stock 1g blowoff not crushed you know the car isn't likely to put out more than about 17psi.Another safety margin.Especially if you have fuel upgrades.

I realize some mods may not give as much as some people say although most seem very well backed up with dyno numbers and yes dyno numbers can be messed with ,photoshopped whatever.Anyway intake manifold isn't hugely expensive and the factory setup is messy to me and ugly.

And yeah don't know yet how my 50 trim will feel but can tell you one thing.It won't scare me or be fast enough for me by itself.I have a high tolerance for speed in cars.I have had 10 second cars and many fast bikes including a turboed yamaha.

Anyone will just keep proceeding on my selected mod path,pretty confident the car will be fast as heck when I am done.And hey if not well I think a small block chevy just might fit in the talon engine bay. eek

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195583
April 06, 2004 03:54 am UTC
April 06, 2004 03:54 am UTC
Newmarket, Ontario
S
Seann Pegg Offline
Serious Member
Seann Pegg  Offline
Serious Member
S
Newmarket, Ontario
Your deffinately on the right path man but watch your steps.
Cam install is easy enough...degreeing them is a little more difficult though. Make sure you do it properly. As far as battery just go thinner. It is much easier than relocating and not very expensive.
If your planning on 11's or 550whp I'd look into beefing up your block a little bit man especially if you wanna fire some juice into the mix. I'd also look into going full standalone with bigger injectors down the road to support those numbers. Tuning is the most important part of doing a car and unfortunately it is often the most overlooked, done cheaply or half assed.
Either way good luck with the manifold.

Caker

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195584
April 06, 2004 06:06 am UTC
April 06, 2004 06:06 am UTC
SASKATOON
Tyler Hodgson Offline
Tyler Hodgson  Offline
SASKATOON
Think whatever you want dude, you've done **** all on these Talon's so far.

Fact is, I am employed at Saskatoon Mitsubishi, fact is, I've worked on and have built MANY cars. Go ahead, tell me I am wrong. Especially when you 'convince' others to do the work for you.

You will eventually find out in the long run from your mistakes. Oh snap, there goes a tranny, oh, snap, there goes a piston on a high mileage motor. Oh snap, there goes another clutch. I hope you have deep pockets to learn from your mistakes and believing what you read on the internet.

92 Talon TSI AWD
That's right, that's a banana.
Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195585
April 06, 2004 07:02 am UTC
April 06, 2004 07:02 am UTC
toronto
julio rodriguez Offline
julio rodriguez  Offline
toronto
While doing my intake manifold switch to the magnus by the way ,the most difficult part was reaching under the manifold to get at those stubborn bolts.

I think a diy kind of guy is great as I am also that type of indavidual . Yes sometimes you can screw things up , but anything that can teach a person a valuable lesson is worth doing.

I believe Allan will reach the low eleven sec times if not close to 10's as i am following a somewhat similare path to acheiving my gaols. Unfortunately im fast becoming poor. Unless a person with no mechanical expearience try's doing a cam swap then it's ok. Good luck Allan and hope to see what you'r car can do in person this year. demon

Gymkhana is big in Japan and considerd a cult favourite by street racers, we have it too, but we just call it Auto Cross/Time Attack, are you game? p.s METALEX MOTOR WORKS ROCKS
Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195586
April 06, 2004 03:36 pm UTC
April 06, 2004 03:36 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Ok a few things need to be said.Tyler not sure whats up with your attitude guy? You said you worked at Saskatoon Mits but never said your position there.You are in parts correct? Are you a journeyman mechanic? In fact how old are you? :rolleyes:

Anyway still don't see the big deal.These mits engines are simple things and its not rocket science to be able to work on them.I know many mechanics,some are smart and some are dumb as posts.And not saying you are the latter as haven't seen you work on anything.

I am sure you have lots of dsm experience.But opinions are like a##@%##@.All I said is so far the car is easy enough to work on and while I might appreciate maybe getting some help to do certain things on car its more I don't necessarily like crawling under there in the garage without an overhead then that I find it hard to do.And never said I knew it all from reading my Haynes manual.Can always pick up tips and tricks from other guys and boards.

You have worked on lots of dsms..great.I have worked on small block chevies and motorcycles and v6s and all sorts of engines.I have done motor swaps and lots of modifications,superchargers and nitrous and most times did it myself.

Will the dsm go snap here and there probably?So what ,you mod cars things will break.You fix them up with better stronger parts if you can afford to.I understand cars have some weaknesses,every car does,clutch,tranny,non forged pistons..
I don't expect to run 10s first day maybe ever.
Don't really care..low 12s will likely be good enough an 11 would be great.

And just curious since you live in Saskatoon and have the track up there obviously and I don't have a track in my city what is your fastest time with your car with what mods.Or are you running some super secret mods on your car currently and actually is your car currently on the street and running.

Will be more than happy as plan on coming up to Saskatoon to run your car on track or wherever against mine.Win or lose don't matter just for
something to do.

You really should take this stuff less seriously.
This is a hobby to me and most people not life and death.So what if blow an engine or trans?
Big deal,fix it up and give it again.If you can't afford to play with cars then a guy shouldn't.But lets not pretend these cars are super complicated or hard to work on or take some master mechanic.

Anyway didn't mean to make this a personal thing with Tyler and me but it was my post and don't think I need any lectures any more from people that don't know me or what I am capable of in regards to working on my cars.

And Julio you or anybody else are more than welcome if you are passing thru Regina,Sask to come by and visit me and my cars.
In addition to the talon have a 99 tran am with approx 450 engine hp ,a 96 z28 vert and a 80 trans am getting big block chevy and 6.71 blower.
I just like cars and faster cars are better laugh

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195587
April 06, 2004 04:53 pm UTC
April 06, 2004 04:53 pm UTC
toronto
julio rodriguez Offline
julio rodriguez  Offline
toronto
alien Shure I will take you up on you'r invite but would rather see it at the shoot out this year if you are planning on going. Hey I personally think that some ppl have a better grasp of mechanics then others but when it comes to opinions everybody is intiteld to their own. This is a board where indaviduals help eachother out , with that said if any body wannts to help me out by buying some of my parts let me know. smile
'back on topic" i personally wouldnt buy any other sheetmetal intake manifold from anywhere else but magnus. Reason being I have witnessed first hand the detailed steps to building one . It out performs any other , and is a bargain for the price it's at , simply because of the pain staking hand made peice of out most quality.

So magnus all the way , and when I save enough then I'll get the dogbox. wink

Gymkhana is big in Japan and considerd a cult favourite by street racers, we have it too, but we just call it Auto Cross/Time Attack, are you game? p.s METALEX MOTOR WORKS ROCKS
Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195588
April 06, 2004 10:44 pm UTC
April 06, 2004 10:44 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Umm no plans to go to shootout in ontario.Pretty hard to get away in summer for me although sounds like fun for sure.

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195589
April 07, 2004 03:32 am UTC
April 07, 2004 03:32 am UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
Originally posted by Allan Brounstein:
Umm no plans to go to shootout in ontario.Pretty hard to get away in summer for me although sounds like fun for sure.
I don't blame ya man. That's not a car I'd drive that far, especially to race. Even as a trailer queen, it's not a drive I'd ever do.

1997 Eagle Talon TSi - JDM 6 bolt = SOLD!
2008 Mistubishi Lancer GTS
2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195590
April 07, 2004 01:00 pm UTC
April 07, 2004 01:00 pm UTC
toronto
julio rodriguez Offline
julio rodriguez  Offline
toronto
So you guy's arent willing to go to the dsm shoot out in the states this year?? I think it's something you could reflect on , and it's worth it just by meeting and grasping some knowledge these americans could give. Besides theirs some guys I want to beat from dsmtuners demon
going down with the crew from magnus.

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195591
April 08, 2004 02:40 am UTC
April 08, 2004 02:40 am UTC
Regina, Sk
C
Chris Clark Offline
Insane Member
Chris Clark  Offline
Insane Member
C
Regina, Sk
http://nabr.jayntguru.com/shootout/

Wow a SM Intake really isnt worth the money

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195592
April 08, 2004 04:32 am UTC
April 08, 2004 04:32 am UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Well it seems from reading this stuff that some of the aftermarkets spool faster..and they said they all pretty much outflowed the stock top end so can't see why you think they are't worth it Chris?? Its true they aren't cheap but hey what is for most cars.

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195593
April 08, 2004 04:47 am UTC
April 08, 2004 04:47 am UTC
Toronto
Rob Cauduro Offline
Rob Cauduro  Offline
Toronto
For $550 US being the average going rate for one of these things, I would have to aggree, the money could be spent much more wisely on other mods to see greater HP improvements. Or at least some serious dyno time to dial everything in perfectly would be worth the money more to me anyways. Just my opinion though, not trying to stop you from doing waht you want to do in any way here Allan. these intakes are definatly out there for a reason but only a small handfull of people are probably getting the full potential from them with setups most of us will never have.

My reasons for getting a SM intake with my current setup would be:

A: got money to burn
B: need more bling
C: nothing else left to mod lol

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195594
April 08, 2004 05:48 am UTC
April 08, 2004 05:48 am UTC
Regina, Sk
C
Chris Clark Offline
Insane Member
Chris Clark  Offline
Insane Member
C
Regina, Sk
This is the test we have all been waiting for, it was done on saturady, by some of the biggest names in the DSM scene. I see the numbers and the stocker out flows the SM ones from 4500 to 6600 rmp, right in the prime rev range.

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195595
April 08, 2004 06:31 am UTC
April 08, 2004 06:31 am UTC
Loc: Loc:
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Loc: Loc:
Originally posted by Chris Clark:
This is the test we have all been waiting for, it was done on saturady, by some of the biggest names in the DSM scene. I see the numbers and the stocker out flows the SM ones from 4500 to 6600 rmp, right in the prime rev range.
Yes... BUT it all depends on what you want to do with the car:

The objective of this test was not to see which manifold made the most power, but rather to provide information that can be used to make an informed decision on manifold selection. A road racer will want a manifold with characteristics that are different from a drag racer. Peak horsepower and torque numbers do not tell the whole story. The air flow characteristics of the manifolds is really what we wanted to see.
If Allan's goal is to increase airflow between 4500 and 6500 rpm then I agree it's a waste.

However, if Allan's goal is to eventually do something with the car that could require one of these - well, all the power to him! tu

1993 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
13.8 @ 106 :::: 14.1 @ 117
Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195596
April 08, 2004 11:50 am UTC
April 08, 2004 11:50 am UTC
toronto
julio rodriguez Offline
julio rodriguez  Offline
toronto
It all depends on what type of turbo and application the car has. Their are so many varients that it is hard to decide, but think about it the more mods you have the more the characteristics change.

In my opinion their was pressure placed on not showing torque and horspower # because it would directly shift the consumer's buying patterns. If it was about power magnus's sm intake would have won , in airflow it came in second , so basically we just want an all around great performing sm intake. To me 550 is more reasonable then the 3500 it would cost me to up the internals . Just by changing the bolt-ons our cars could be amazing if not scary,this is my approach to building my car. Different ppl again different opinions , but you cant say a sm intake is not a worth while upgrade.

Re: BG and Venom and other intake manifold questions?? #195597
April 08, 2004 03:04 pm UTC
April 08, 2004 03:04 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
The test didn't test go to like 8000 rpm and that is range I would spin the car too with proper valve springs ,titanium retainers ,cams and forged pistons and rods,arp bolts,etc.
Heck I think the engine might last up to occasional 8000 rpm runs or even 8500 on stock bottom.Anyone done this with cams yet.??

I agree the sheet metal wasnt first on my mods list.

Plan for the car was first get fuel mods.Have those.Then get bigger turbo.Have that.Then get good clutch.Have that.
Then front mount intercooler..still deciding on that one.Then probably cams.Then maybe following year the smi and maybe 75 shot but likely a new bottom end before the spray.And somewhere in there of course get safc ,maft and or engine management system.

Its just that I am looking at the stock intake and keep thinking that magnus is sure pretty. smile
And faster spool is a good thing as is top end power.I think midrange would be fine with some
cams.And pretty sure the new 50 trim will be plenty scary fast with an fmic and some cams.
But 550 US isn't crazy expensive and 50trim it sounds like can use all help it can get in spooling department.Have lighter flywheel too and hear cams speed up spool but letting engine rev quicker and the engine already revs quick in my talon..fact going to get shift light shortly.