Chris Clark Offline OP
Insane Member
Chris Clark  Offline OP
Insane Member
C
Regina, Sk
http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGB5XQM5NGE.html

Somebody telling like it is hehe shuffle

1990 TSi AWD - Parked since I bought it (Jan24/03)
Had it out one day, and busted the trans.
Re: For the TML fans #208687
December 01, 2005 01:26 am UTC
December 01, 2005 01:26 am UTC
Cornwall
Robert Glover Offline
Serious Member
Robert Glover  Offline
Serious Member
Cornwall
Definitly telling it how it is.

Everytime a Leaf fan hassles me, i just say "1993" bird

I wish i had the money to build my motor
Re: For the TML fans #208688
December 01, 2005 01:36 am UTC
December 01, 2005 01:36 am UTC
GTA
Tim Grechin Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Tim Grechin  Offline
GTA
1993 was the last year I actually cheered for the Leafs. The Sundin era brought in a whole lot of boos coming fro me. Where's that picture of the skeleton waiting on the lawn for the cup?

11.254@132.14MPH - Tractionally impaired
Re: For the TML fans #208689
December 01, 2005 02:13 am UTC
December 01, 2005 02:13 am UTC
Cornwall, Ontario
Chris Bilmer Offline
Serious Member
Chris Bilmer  Offline
Serious Member
Cornwall, Ontario
Quite the article! I'll admit that I don't HATE them, but I sure as hell don't chear for them. I'll pick ANY canadian team over most yank teams but those leafs haven't done anything worthy of my dime at all in my nearly 25 years on this planet.

I truly don't understand why so many people love that team. They're not even very good!

'97 TSi AWD--12.22 @ 113.2, 0-60 in 3.6s <-- Spinning like mad!
'95--RIP--12.95 @ 104.32
Re: For the TML fans #208690
December 01, 2005 02:27 am UTC
December 01, 2005 02:27 am UTC
Cornwall
Robert Glover Offline
Serious Member
Robert Glover  Offline
Serious Member
Cornwall
Originally posted by Chris Bilmer:

I truly don't understand why so many people love that team. They're not even very good!
Because the Ontario media hypes them up to be the best thing since sliced bread... Everytime i listen to TSN i wanna vomit... Leafs this, Leafs that..

They couldn't even beat a weakened Montreal team without help from the refs, TWICE this season. Not to mention getting smoked by the Sens 8-0. Its not so much i hate the team, i hate the "center of hockey" bull****.

Re: For the TML fans #208691
December 01, 2005 02:50 pm UTC
Toronto, Ontario
Fai Lee Offline
Insane Member
Fai Lee  Offline
Insane Member
Toronto, Ontario
Originally posted by Tim Grech:
Where's that picture of the skeleton waiting on the lawn for the cup?
I have that. I'm sure I will have to repost it this year.

**The Rims & Tires guy**

Maxim Wheels
Re: For the TML fans #208692
Peterborough
kale mumford Offline
Serious Member
kale mumford  Offline
Serious Member
Peterborough
Stanley Cup wins or not, Leafs ARE the most valuable hockey team in the league. In the Toronto Star a couple weeks ago it had an article that listed the most valuable franchises in sports according to Forbes(dont know if anyone else read this) Yankees were #1 in baseball with $730 million, Manchester United in soccer with i think $1.5 billion the Washington Redskins worth $1.1 Billion..and the Leafs in hockey, worth over $325 million (below is the article)

Originally posted by Toronto Star

Leafs most valuable team in hockey.

Maple Leafs No. 1 - in value
Team worth $325 million, Forbes says
Peddie disputes figures: `Not even close'
Nov. 11, 2005. 05:20 AM
KEN CAMPBELL
SPORTS REPORTER

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment president Richard Peddie had a predictable reaction to a Forbes magazine story that has the Maple Leafs awash in money, both in terms of revenues and franchise value.

"Don't we wish," Peddie said. "It's not even close, not close at all."

In its Nov. 28 issue, Forbes reports that the Leafs are the most valuable team in the NHL at $325 million (all figures U.S., unless otherwise indicated), that their operating income has been $85 million over the past five years and that the 86 per cent increase in the value of the franchise over that time is tops in the league.

Peddie was quick to denounce both the income and franchise-value numbers, saying Forbes doesn't have access to MLSE's or any other organization's financial numbers. Peddie said the $85 million operating income was a number he didn't recognize. He said the actual operating profit is much less once you account for taxes and the fact that MLSE pays $27 million (Cdn.) per year on its debt.

"When you whittle it all down, the profit is not comparable to the Fortune 500 companies out there at all," he said. "This is a thin-profit business â?? it really is thin. If I were running a big Fortune 500 company, they would be giving me a lot of trouble for how low our bottom line is."

Forbes acknowledged that it doesn't have access to the Leafs' financial reports, but said it conducts numerous interviews with sports bankers and verifies its figures based on recent transactions, such as the sales of the New Jersey Devils, Vancouver Canucks and Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. Michael Ozanian, who co-wrote the piece, said Forbes' numbers are sound, particularly for franchise value.

"I had a banker tell me he could find a buyer and sell the Maple Leafs tomorrow for $300 million, so I think $325 million is very reasonable," Ozanian said. "We do know that last year, with a lockout looming, the Devils sold for $125 million. The guy (Jeffrey Vanderbeek) paid that knowing he likely wasn't going to have hockey for a year. Just ask somebody, `What's a better deal, $325 (million) for the Maple Leafs, including the revenue they get from the building, or $125 million for the Devils?'"

Peddie said it's irrelevant to discuss the value of the Leafs without rolling it into the value of the Air Canada Centre and the Raptors because the organization's strength is in how all the components fit together.

"The interesting question is, what is Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment worth? â?? and I don't know," Peddie said. "We're not for sale right now."

Peddie did acknowledge that the $39 million salary cap has been a boon to all NHL teams, including the Leafs. Not only do they save about $30 million in player salaries, but fixed costs make a company far more attractive to potential buyers.

"I think the new collective bargaining agreement was very good for enterprise value," Peddie said. "We saw that in the NBA."

But it's not simply market forces and a salary cap that have made the Leafs so successful, the New York-based Ozanian said.

"For a couple of years, people have been pointing out that (the Leafs) are really doing a good job up there," he said. "It's one of the top hockey markets in North America and they've usually been going a couple of rounds in the playoffs. They don't have a crazy payroll. They've got a lot of good things going up there."

Ozanian predicted the viability of at least two NHL franchises will become a relevant topic very soon.

"The two places where I think there will not be teams in two years are Carolina and Atlanta," Ozanian said, "and I still need more convincing in Florida and Nashville."
Lets just say that this isnt true, that they arnt the most valuable...THEY ARE AN ORIGINAL 6 TEAM, been there since the begining. That has to stand for something.
The fact that they havn't won a cup since 67 AND STILL sell out the ACC all the time has to stand for something too. Nobody supports their team more then the leafs do...so if that makes us ignorant or arrogant or whatever the original article said...then i guess we are.

Y'all can say they suck all you want, but Toronto will always have a huge fan base, win or lose...i know ill die a leaf fan... BLUE AND WHITE TO THE BONE! (cmon Leaf fans, back me up on this, dont leave me fighting this alone laugh )

Re: For the TML fans #208693
December 01, 2005 03:38 pm UTC
December 01, 2005 03:38 pm UTC
Cornwall
Robert Glover Offline
Serious Member
Robert Glover  Offline
Serious Member
Cornwall
Originally posted by kalen munford:
Nobody supports their team more then the leafs do...so if that makes us ignorant or arrogant or whatever the original article said...then i guess we are.
I'm sorry but thats bullcrap.

Original 6 team, yeah they deserve some respect for that. Its a historical team that has had much success in the past, but to compare the Leafs to the Yankee's in a sense of previous glory and success is an answer of bliss ignorance.

I was born into a Pro-Habs mentality and i'm going to die in that mentality. But i guess that makes me an "ignorant-frog" as so many Leafs fans around here like to put it.

No disrespect meant to Leafs fans, i just hate your media with a passion.

However with everything being said, one thing i like about the Leafs is they a 50% of the biggest rivalry in hockey being Toronto vs Montreal. Every game is usually ver action packed and exciting to watch, and the outcome can make even the best of friends wanna beat the snot out of each other.

Re: For the TML fans #208694
December 01, 2005 04:36 pm UTC
December 01, 2005 04:36 pm UTC
Peterborough
kale mumford Offline
Serious Member
kale mumford  Offline
Serious Member
Peterborough
Originally posted by Robert Glover:
I'm sorry but thats bullcrap.

to compare the Leafs to the Yankee's in a sense of previous glory and success is an answer of bliss ignorance.[/QB][/QUOTE]

I never once copared the Leafs to the Yankees....i said the Yankees were the most valuable baseball team and the leafs for hockey...never compared them other then that.

Re: For the TML fans #208695
December 01, 2005 04:43 pm UTC
December 01, 2005 04:43 pm UTC
London/Nomad
Nathan Welch Offline

Insane Member
Nathan Welch  Offline

Insane Member
London/Nomad
HHAHHAHA. Man you guys would not be same around my grandma! She is leafs through and through. Seriously guys, the team just has hype and nastalgia. They also have good marketing which focuses on said nostalgia, because THEY can't win the cup!! tongue Just like it gentlemen, cause your team has a chance at the cup!!

-nate

Re: For the TML fans #208696
December 01, 2005 05:14 pm UTC
December 01, 2005 05:14 pm UTC
Oakville/Mississauga, Ontario
Darryl Richardson Offline
Serious Member
Darryl Richardson  Offline
Serious Member
Oakville/Mississauga, Ontario
Call me arrogant or ignorant or whatever you want, but I love the Leafs. I have always been a Leafs fan I will always be a Leafs fan. My grandparents were Leafs fans, my parents are Leafs fans and my kids will be Leafs fans. Its only a matter of time before they win the Cup again.

Its not about how much they win or lose. Its about the fact that they are a dynasty. They were the best original six team. Perhaps it is appropriate that the last time they won the Cup was the first year of the expansiion. You have to give them credit, they play the game well. I would say that 90% of the time Leafs hockey is exciting. Anyone here ever watch an American team play another American team? Some of them seem like they are playing in slow motion its ridiculous.

I am not saying they are the best team, all I am saying is that they are my favourite team.

1995 Pontiac Bonneville
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - Written off
1993 Eagle Talon TSI - Sold
Drive like you f***, hard fast and occasionally sideways
Re: For the TML fans #208697
December 01, 2005 05:40 pm UTC
December 01, 2005 05:40 pm UTC
Toronto, Ontario
Fai Lee Offline
Insane Member
Fai Lee  Offline
Insane Member
Toronto, Ontario
Originally posted by Darryl Richardson:
Anyone here ever watch an American team play another American team?
Never. But I watched almost every Leafs games, or at least listen to 640 if I'm driving laugh I'm a leafs fan, always. tu

**The Rims & Tires guy**

Maxim Wheels
Re: For the TML fans #208698
December 01, 2005 09:31 pm UTC
December 01, 2005 09:31 pm UTC
Cornwall
Robert Glover Offline
Serious Member
Robert Glover  Offline
Serious Member
Cornwall
Originally posted by Darryl Richardson:
. They were the best original six team.
My 24 Stanley Cups to your 13 Cups tell a different story! naughty

hehe just kidding, everyone is entitled to their opinion... Plus i know i wont win my arguement on here when more then half of this community is from Leaf Nation.. shuffle

Re: For the TML fans #208699
December 02, 2005 12:28 am UTC
December 02, 2005 12:28 am UTC
Regina, Sk
C
Chris Clark Offline OP
Insane Member
Chris Clark  Offline OP
Insane Member
C
Regina, Sk
Originally posted by Robert Glover:
Plus i know i wont win my arguement on here when more then half of this community is from Leaf Nation.. shuffle
I knew this post would stir the pot hehe. You should see all the Leafs fans out here, it makes me sick. It would be nice for once to see CBC show Ottawa play instead of To every saturday, at least out here. The Leafs are ****ing boring to watch, Ottawa is the hottest team right now. I havent watched one early game on HNIC, just the late games with the western teams.

I compare the Leafs fans to the Roughriders fans out here, every year its Grey Cup!!!!! Then we go 9-9, but next year, Grey Cup!!!! :rolleyes:

1990 TSi AWD - Parked since I bought it (Jan24/03)
Had it out one day, and busted the trans.
Re: For the TML fans #208700
December 04, 2005 12:06 am UTC
December 04, 2005 12:06 am UTC
Toronto, Ontario,Canada
T
Thomas Toth Offline
Insane Member
Thomas Toth  Offline
Insane Member
T
Toronto, Ontario,Canada
HHmmm...so, Leaf fans in Toronto are ignorant/arrogant? Interesting! Just because one city loves and supports their hockey team . Nice !

I guess Canadians in general are ignorant and arrogant? Because when i watch leafs on tv play in say Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver etc etc i see and hear Leaf fans/chants durring the game. At times you can hear GO LEAFS GO chants over the home teams chants. Is it Groupies from Toronto following the team and filling half the areans on the road? Clearly not! It is fans living in Montreal, Vancouver , Ottawa etc who are attending these games and cheering for the Leafs.
Do they get the crazy media coverage in those cities about the Leafs ? Probably not and yet they still love the Leafs.

I dunno, must be the blue and white colours..clearly its the ****!

I guess it's true, Leafs are CANADA'S TEAM, and the rest are jealous or something. There, something more ignorant smack talk for you Leafs haters.

Re: For the TML fans #208701
December 04, 2005 12:15 am UTC
December 04, 2005 12:15 am UTC
GTA
Tim Grechin Offline
Tim Grechin  Offline
GTA
All this talk and chanting "Go Leafs Go" and still no cup. It's gonna be another disappointment again for the boys in blue.

Re: For the TML fans #208702
December 04, 2005 01:31 am UTC
December 04, 2005 01:31 am UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
Call me arrogant, call me ignorant, it's still fun to enjoy a good game.

Hell I cheer any Canadian team. I'll even cheer Ottawa, but it's always the Leafs first.

Overall I think the Leafs have done well this year despite some of the contract mistakes they've made.

Just because nobody gives a crap about the Thrashers in Atlanta doesn't mean they have to piss on Leaf Nation. They've got the Falcons and the Braves. What have we got? Argos and Raptors or worse yet, the Jays?? tongue

Until they lose and I cheer another Canadian team, GO LEAFS GO!

1997 Eagle Talon TSi - JDM 6 bolt = SOLD!
2008 Mistubishi Lancer GTS
2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: For the TML fans #208703
December 04, 2005 01:33 am UTC
December 04, 2005 01:33 am UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
All this talk and chanting "Go Leafs Go" and still no cup. It's gonna be another disappointment again for the boys in blue.
Well, at least they aren't paying for the man made of glass, Forsberg. We've got Antropuff for that :rolleyes:

1997 Eagle Talon TSi - JDM 6 bolt = SOLD!
2008 Mistubishi Lancer GTS
2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: For the TML fans #208704
December 04, 2005 10:29 pm UTC
December 04, 2005 10:29 pm UTC
Toronto, Ontario,Canada
T
Thomas Toth Offline
Insane Member
Thomas Toth  Offline
Insane Member
T
Toronto, Ontario,Canada
Bla bla bla *turboblockstillneededplease* bla bla bla heheeh laugh laugh

Re: For the TML fans #208705
December 04, 2005 11:32 pm UTC
December 04, 2005 11:32 pm UTC
GTA
Tim Grechin Offline
Tim Grechin  Offline
GTA
Sorry Thomas, I'm such a dickhead. I swear this week. I'm picking up rims by Metalix so yeah, it'll be there soon. Trust me I want it gone as much as you want it. It takes up way too much space in my garage. Expect the bastard thing one night this week. I'll attempt for Monday or Tuesday depending on the guy who I'm getting the rims from.

Re: For the TML fans #208706
December 05, 2005 05:35 am UTC
December 05, 2005 05:35 am UTC
Toronto, Ontario,Canada
T
Thomas Toth Offline
Insane Member
Thomas Toth  Offline
Insane Member
T
Toronto, Ontario,Canada
Werd smile

Re: For the TML fans #208707
December 05, 2005 02:42 pm UTC
December 05, 2005 02:42 pm UTC
Peterborough
kale mumford Offline
Serious Member
kale mumford  Offline
Serious Member
Peterborough
GO LEAFS GO!! What a way to have my 100th post, supporting the boys in Blue and White... laugh

Re: For the TML fans #208708
December 07, 2005 06:22 pm UTC
December 07, 2005 06:22 pm UTC
Scarborough
J
Josh Smith Offline
Josh Smith  Offline
J
Scarborough
Absoluteley the Leafs are one of the most vauleble teams in the league, they don't have to win the Stanley cup, they fill the arena regardless...and the owners know this.