Insurance Question #209047
December 23, 2005 04:06 pm UTC
December 23, 2005 04:06 pm UTC
Cobourg
Jeph Milley Offline OP
Jeph Milley  Offline OP
Cobourg
Hey Guys.

I'll be picking up a new car here in the next month or so. Problem is I'm 21, and a student who works part-time. Part-time+****ty Job=Bad Pay Cheques. So I talked to my mother and we agreed that Id put her 93 Sidekick in my name, and she'd put my 2000+ car(not sure what I'm getting yet) in her name. The only thing I'm concerned about is, if im driving my vehicle in her name, and I get in an accident, will my insurance go up cause I was driving, or will her's go up cause it was her vehicle, or will they not cover it at all because I wasnt listed as a driver? Same goes I guess if she were to get in an accident in her vehicle in my name. I'm trying to avoid listing myself as a secondary to lower the price, but if they won't cover it, I'll have no choice. Thanks

Jeff

2002 RSX Type S- Not stock....

1993 Eagle Talon-RIP
Re: Insurance Question #209048
December 23, 2005 05:27 pm UTC
December 23, 2005 05:27 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
You would PROBABLY get away with a switch like that, as long as there is nothing more than a MINOR accident. If you are ever in a MAJOR accident, though, the insurance companies LOVE to find a way to get out of paying. In the case of a MAJOR accident, they will do a thorough investigation, and all it takes is a neighbour or someone you work with to tell them "ya, he drives a red so and so to work every day"....and they can deny you coverage for lying on the application! I understand the desire to save a buck, and I HATE the insurance companies, but if you are going to do something like that, you might as well drive without insurance...my .02 worth...

"bluebird" worlds fastest scooter ridden by me
"Whitebird" RIP
Re: Insurance Question #209049
December 23, 2005 06:07 pm UTC
December 23, 2005 06:07 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
Nothing good will come of this...

Don't do it. If you're not listed as a driver on the car at all, and live in the same household, there's no coverage. At least get each other listed on the cars. As long as it's one car per primary driver, your rates shouldn't change that much, if at all.

And just as a tease, y'all. I FINALLY got my break at a REAL job. $45k/yr as a sysadmin. So I'm looking at buying a used BMW 540i or M5, but thinking "I can't afford the insurance."

Get a quote from RBC Insurance, $1,000 a year for the 540, $1050 for the M5. "Wait a second, that doesn't sound right." So I punch in a 2005 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti. Insurance? $1200/yr...

Ah, the sweet payoff of being 33 with a perfect record. *Laugh*

Re: Insurance Question #209050
December 23, 2005 06:43 pm UTC
December 23, 2005 06:43 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ontario
J
Jeff Mitchell Offline

Jeff Mitchell  Offline

J
Mississauga, Ontario
What do you know, Troy is back! Glad to see you're still alive and doing well! smile Sorry to say you're no longer the top poster. Rob is closing in on 6000 posts!

On the insurance issue, I agree with what's been said. I had family friends that did something similar. The daughter got into a bad accident, the insurance company investigated (talked to people at her work I think?) and found out she was driving the car everyday. They denied the claim. The father was threatened with insurance fraud charges if they tried to dispute it.

Sure, you might get away with it and you might save some money, but is it worth the risk?

Re: Insurance Question #209051
December 23, 2005 06:53 pm UTC
December 23, 2005 06:53 pm UTC
Cobourg
Jeph Milley Offline OP
Jeph Milley  Offline OP
Cobourg
Thanks for the replies everyone...I think what I'll end up doing is listing us both as secondarys on the other vehicle..that way at least I'm still covered. Oh, and we dont live in the same household

1993 Eagle Talon-RIP
Re: Insurance Question #209052
December 23, 2005 07:58 pm UTC
December 23, 2005 07:58 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Whether you live in the same household or not...if you are listed as "occasional driver", and in their investigation they find out you drive it REGULARLY, they CAN deny you coverage! Basically, what it boils down to, is that you CANNOT LIE on your insurance application in order to save money and then expect to have coverage you are not paying for!

If you are listed as PRIMARY driver of your vehicle, and don't live in the same household, then you don't need to be listed as occasional on her car. She CAN lend her car to any properly licensed driver, and since you have PRIMARY coverage yourself, there is no need to pay any extra on her policy!

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: Insurance Question #209053
December 26, 2005 02:11 am UTC
December 26, 2005 02:11 am UTC
Cobourg
Jeph Milley Offline OP
Jeph Milley  Offline OP
Cobourg
I looked around and found Insurance on a few cars I'm looking at for dirt cheap...so now I dont have to worry about putting it in my mom's name cause I can actually afford the insurance

2001 Jetta VR6-Full Coverage-138/month
2001 Eclipse-Full Coverage-170/month
2002 RSX Type S- Full Coverage-180/month

I'm 21 with a clean record, G license for a year and a half...got G1 when I was 16....other places I was looking at were between 300 and 500 a month for these same cars. Check out belairdirect.com.....cheapest insurance I've ever found.

1993 Eagle Talon-RIP
Re: Insurance Question #209054
December 26, 2005 07:19 am UTC
December 26, 2005 07:19 am UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Cool! I think turning 21 is a big step in getting cheaper insurance.

Usually, the cheapest insurance can be had going through the banks. I think belairdirect is connected to TD/Canada Trust isn't it? You might want to also check out RBC insurance through Royal Bank, and I think CIBC also is connected to an insurance company...they should also be reasonable..

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: Insurance Question #209055
December 30, 2005 06:40 pm UTC
December 30, 2005 06:40 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
6000 posts, eh? *Dusts off keyboard* (:

When I was younger I found that the big companies, like RBC, AllState, etc. were horrendously expensive. The prices on newer cars were high, and they wouldn't touch a car that was over 10 years old. Now that I'm older and have more of a record, it's turned right around.

Ziggy knows what he's talking about on this. Unless you're a great driver and cautious enough that the chances of getting into an accident are slim, get your own insurance. Besides, the longer you have your own the quicker your insurance costs will drop.

And you can't list two 'secondary' drivers on a vehicle. You have to have at least one primary, and one vehicle per each driver.