June 26, 2007 02:10 am UTC
June 26, 2007 02:10 am UTC
Barrie
R
Ryan Smythe Offline OP
Ryan Smythe  Offline OP
R
Barrie
Seeing as how I just bought a car that is considered Salvage, I had to get the carfax report myself. I was told that it had not been in an accident. Well things turned out different and I have only had it for only one week and it is completely toast. Do not trust him as he is probably gonna rip you off. I now cannot sue him or go to him for my money back as he sold me a car in his fathers name so now I'm going to sue his father for the money plus legal fees.
hope his dad has the money. And if anyone knows him and a way to contact him it would be much appreciated as I have been lied to and am now trying to avoid court but am left with no other alternative.

Last edited by Ryan Smythe; June 26, 2007 02:15 am UTC.
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ryan Smythe] #235295
June 26, 2007 02:12 am UTC
June 26, 2007 02:12 am UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Ryan Laliberte Offline
No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Ryan Laliberte  Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Belleville, Ontario
Whoa! Have you tried contacting him? Have you done anything to come to a resolution?

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth
RTMRacing - Your Canadian source for DSM Parts

"Every moment you live is pregnant with the next moment of your life" --Jim Carrey

Last Login: September 28, 2021
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #235297
June 26, 2007 02:16 am UTC
June 26, 2007 02:16 am UTC
Barrie
R
Ryan Smythe Offline OP
Ryan Smythe  Offline OP
R
Barrie
Yes I have

Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ryan Smythe] #235304
June 26, 2007 02:44 am UTC
June 26, 2007 02:44 am UTC
Aurora
miguel barros Offline
Insane Member
miguel barros  Offline
Insane Member
Aurora
In Danny's defense, he did not know that the vehicle was salvaged if indeed it was. And if that was the case shouldn't you have done your homework before purchasing the vehicle?

You were told that the vehicle was sold AS IS. That means whatever problems you encounter after you drive the car away are YOURS not his.Even if it was involved in an accident, private sellers are not obligated to say so. Dealerships are.

Which brings me to my next point. If it was salvaged, shouldn't the ownership say so? It sounds like you did NOT do your homework and jumped all over this car for whatever reason and now that you are stuck with it, you are trying to after whatever measures you can get away with. Do what you will, but don't go bad mouthing the guy. He is a good friend of mine and he's also had good dealings with a lot of people on this board and they can all vouch for him.

Last edited by miguel barros; June 26, 2007 02:46 am UTC.

97 Eclipse GS-T - Project Nightmare!!!

2009 Dodge Journey / DD,parts hauler,mobile office
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: miguel barros] #235306
June 26, 2007 02:49 am UTC
June 26, 2007 02:49 am UTC
Barrie
R
Ryan Smythe Offline OP
Ryan Smythe  Offline OP
R
Barrie
Nope sorry law is on my side here my lawyer says this is an open and shut case thanks for your input though. And Sarge is it I assume you know him so let his dad know that ill see him in court. The only thing is its an american car so the word salvage would have been on the american title. And i have proof of salvage title so it was salvaged thanks for trying to cast doubt.
But dont worry when I buy my next car Ill demand a carfax report from the owner before I purchase.

Last edited by Ryan Smythe; June 26, 2007 03:02 am UTC.
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ryan Smythe] #235311
June 26, 2007 03:13 am UTC
June 26, 2007 03:13 am UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ryan,

I hope your proof is more than just that carfax report, as I don't believe they are accurate 100% of the time....and I DO believe that when you buy "as is" you take your chances. I think your lawyer is sadly mistaken if he thinks this is "open and shut", as you would need to be able to PROVE that he KNEW of the status of the car...so unless your lawyer can do a vulcan mind meld or something, I think you are throwing good money after bad....but best of luck to both of you...

I think it would make a lot more sense to talk reasonably than all these empty threats of lawyers. Let's face it, the lawyer would cost you as much or more than you paid for the car....

"bluebird" worlds fastest scooter ridden by me
"Whitebird" RIP
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #235315
June 26, 2007 03:28 am UTC
June 26, 2007 03:28 am UTC
Barrie
R
Ryan Smythe Offline OP
Ryan Smythe  Offline OP
R
Barrie
I tried to talk reasonably he told me to take him to court. and my other proof is the car itself. THe damage isnt on the skin, its underneath. I would have had torn the car down before i bought it to see the seriousness of the issue. And as his brother is a body man I'm pretty sure he knew.

Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ryan Smythe] #235321
June 26, 2007 03:57 am UTC
June 26, 2007 03:57 am UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
"pretty sure he knew" won't stand up in court...you have to PROVE he knew....

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #235327
June 26, 2007 04:37 am UTC
June 26, 2007 04:37 am UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Ryan Laliberte Offline
Ryan Laliberte  Offline
Belleville, Ontario
Posts like this be written in notepad, saved and then re-considered after a day or 2. In the heat of the moment, slandering his name may have been the best thing to do, however if he was your boss, and your boss didn't give you that raise you wanted, cheap bastard yada yada yada, you wouldn't fire off a company wide email stating that.

Make sure you get your facts straight about everything. It's not what you know, what you think you know, what you think he knows or could have known or should have known, it's what you can PROVE.

Take him to court... sure, however you better be ready for the repercussions in things don't go your way. Defamation of his name is not going to bring you a resolution. As Manuel stated, he's a reputable member here and has had lots of good transactions on here.

As is is As is, you should have done your homework before buying the car. Personally, I wouldn't buy an "AS IS" car before having a good look at it, and if I wasn't sure, I would have brought someone who would know where to look.

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth
RTMRacing - Your Canadian source for DSM Parts

"Every moment you live is pregnant with the next moment of your life" --Jim Carrey

Last Login: September 28, 2021
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #235376
June 26, 2007 09:03 pm UTC
June 26, 2007 09:03 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ryan, is there anything besides the carfax report that says this vehicle was a US vehicle and was salvage? I don't trust those carfax reports. I have heard of people who have owned their cars for 15 years and when they run a carfax it says it was salvage 5 years ago in the US.

As I understand it, that car had about 10 previous owners, and all of them were in Ontario. I would be interested to know if anything BESIDES the carfax says this car is salvage or a US car?

I know Daniel, and I have spoken with him about this car, and I KNOW he had no knowledge of any problems with the car....

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #235395
June 26, 2007 10:36 pm UTC
June 26, 2007 10:36 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ontario
J
Jeff Mitchell Offline
Jeff Mitchell  Offline
J
Mississauga, Ontario
Originally Posted by Ziggy Dietrich
I know Daniel, and I have spoken with him about this car, and I KNOW he had no knowledge of any problems with the car....

How exactly can you know that someone else does or doesn't know something? Vulcan mind meld? smile

No offence guys, but if you're not directly involved you really ought to stay out of it. Let Daniel come and defend himself if he so chooses.

Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Jeff Mitchell] #235400
June 26, 2007 11:13 pm UTC
June 26, 2007 11:13 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Good point...and a good laugh...

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #235404
June 26, 2007 11:33 pm UTC
June 26, 2007 11:33 pm UTC
Barrie
R
Ryan Smythe Offline OP
Ryan Smythe  Offline OP
R
Barrie
So now your saying because he says he had no knowledge that the car was in an accident that suddenly clears him of all wrong doing and that if I went to sell this car and denied the fact that I knew the car was in an acident I can be held legally responsible how is that fair. He didnt provide me with a uvp which is the sellers responsiblility(legally). And because of that fact alone I took him at face value because of what you guys already thought about him. I based my buy on that and look where it got me. Also the Odo has been rolled back which was not told to me. Federal offence that one is, its considered fraud nowadays to sell a car that has had the odo rolled back and to sell the car as having that many k's.

Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ryan Smythe] #235406
June 27, 2007 12:06 am UTC
June 27, 2007 12:06 am UTC
Toronto
M
Moe Shakeri Offline
Moe Shakeri  Offline
M
Toronto
Sorry Ryan, but whatever you're saying will not stand up in court. Whether you can prove he knew or not...BTW: odometer inacurrancies can be clerical errors as well.

You are taking your chances when you purchase a used car privately...and on top of that...AS IS. I don't know whether you purchased it AS IS or Certified + E-tested, but the fact of the matter is nothing you say will stand up in court. I'm just trying to help you out...you'll waste your time and your money.

Here is what AS IS is defined by Ministry and OMVIC Standards (taken off a Used car dealership bill of Sale)

VEHICLE SOLD "AS IS":

I agree that if the appropriate space below is initialled by me, the vehicle is sold "AS IS" and is not represented as being in a road worthy condition, mechanically sound or maintained at any guaranteed level of quality. The vehicle may not be fit for use as a means of transport and may require substantial repairs at my expense.

Sometimes its better to realize your mistakes and move forward.

Hope that helps.

Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Moe Shakeri] #235417
June 27, 2007 01:16 am UTC
June 27, 2007 01:16 am UTC
Woodbridge
Daniel Almeida Offline
Serious Member
Daniel Almeida  Offline
Serious Member
Woodbridge
Thank you for clarifying what "AS IS" means Moe. Maybe Ryan will understand now.

In any case I think it's time I spoke. I would appreciate it if you stop making false accusations about me Ryan. In regards to the odometer, did I not tell you before you purchased the car that the 6 bolt JDM motor was put in by a fellow dsm board member which I bought this talon from and that the mileage was rolled back to match the motor? You were fine with it before but now that the car according to your words is "toast" all of a sudden it becomes a huge issue. And you also accuse me of not telling you the vehicle was salvaged? I'll say it again nice and slow so you can understand: I DIDN'T KNOW.

You want to take me to court then go right ahead but stop posting bullshit about me here and accuse me with your speculations. You want to waste your money on lawyers and what not go right ahead makes no difference to me.

Daniel

Last edited by Daniel Almeida; June 27, 2007 01:26 am UTC.
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Daniel Almeida] #235452
June 27, 2007 03:27 am UTC
June 27, 2007 03:27 am UTC
Barrie
R
Ryan Smythe Offline OP
Ryan Smythe  Offline OP
R
Barrie
EDIT:I'm done talking here I'll see your father in court

Last edited by Ryan Smythe; June 27, 2007 03:55 am UTC.
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ryan Smythe] #235511
June 27, 2007 04:45 pm UTC
June 27, 2007 04:45 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ryan, I will give you a piece of advice whether you want it or not. Of course, you are free to do whatever you want, but I believe I have heard 99% or better of the facts in this case, and my recommendation would be to take the money you are going to spend on legal fees and buy lottery tickets with it. You have a better chance of winning in the lottery....

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #236095
July 05, 2007 02:11 pm UTC
July 05, 2007 02:11 pm UTC
Peterborough, ON
Dan Duware Offline
Serious Member
Dan Duware  Offline
Serious Member
Peterborough, ON
With all due respect, in a civil proceeding the Complainant (in this case, Ryan) does not have to PROVE anything beyond a reasonable doubt. This isn't a criminal trial. He only has to establish a 'Cause of Action' (eg. negligence, breach of contract, etc.) against the defendant (in this case, Dan) and demonstrate that Dan should be held liable or is vicariously liable (responsible while acting on behalf of another... in this case, his father). Proof helps, but it isn't completely necessary. At the end of the day, everything depends on the judge's discretion anyways.
Ultimately, is it really worth it? I've always considered civil court to be a waste of time (aside from compensation for injuries requiring medical care). Even if you do win, Ryan, there's no guarantee you'll ever recieve your money.

Dan D. (fellow DSMer, Crim. Justice major, and noob on probation)

Real men drive standard.
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Dan Duware] #236176
July 06, 2007 04:24 am UTC
July 06, 2007 04:24 am UTC
Toronto
M
Moe Shakeri Offline
Moe Shakeri  Offline
M
Toronto
Proving "beyond" a reasonable doubt or not....he's got no case (although I understand you're just trying to guide him). And if he thinks he does....he better be prepared to wait about 2 yrs before his case is heard.

Last edited by Moe Shakeri; July 06, 2007 04:24 am UTC.
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Moe Shakeri] #236189
July 06, 2007 12:31 pm UTC
July 06, 2007 12:31 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
You are correct that he does not need to prove "beyond reasonable doubt", but he DOES need to prove...and I forget the legal wording...but he needs to PROVE a STRONG likelihood..
And the burden of that proof is still on the plaintiff, not the defendant. Proof is STILL necessary.

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #236195
July 06, 2007 01:47 pm UTC
July 06, 2007 01:47 pm UTC
Peterborough, ON
Dan Duware Offline
Serious Member
Dan Duware  Offline
Serious Member
Peterborough, ON
Ziggy, you are correct. He's got to have SOMETHING to prove that his case is not completely fabricated, it just doesn't have to be a smoking gun is all I was saying.
I don't profess to know what the law states pertaining to vehicle transfers, and I don't particularly care. I would assume if there was a contract and it was breached, end of story. Without a contract, no case (unless the 'lemon' law applies in this province... but even that has specific criteria that must be met).
Anyhow, that's my $.02...
I've never been on a site before where they have this sort of thing (good guy/bad guy). It's a great idea and been an interesting read. I've even seen some guys on here that I know!

Real men drive standard.
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Dan Duware] #236276
July 07, 2007 05:01 am UTC
July 07, 2007 05:01 am UTC
Mississauga, Ontario
N
Nicholas Ricci Offline
Nicholas Ricci  Offline
N
Mississauga, Ontario
When shooting the sh!t with Daniel back in Summer 06. He did not mention at any point that the car was a salvage or that even he fixed it up from a wreck.

I'm not putting up my back for him or anything. But he seemed throughout our conversations to be straight up and honest.

Seems like this is a serious shitwind.

N

*New with some general experience* Take advice at your own risk!
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Nicholas Ricci] #236285
July 07, 2007 12:56 pm UTC
July 07, 2007 12:56 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
IF that car was salvage, it was in the first year of it's life (late 1990's) in Michigan. Since then, it has had 9 or 10 owners, all in Ontario, and the car is not branded as rebuilt in Ontario...how should he have known? And I am guessing none of the other 9 or 10 Ontario owners knew either, and they all drove it without issues. Funny that almost overnight, it is "toast"...

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #236296
July 07, 2007 02:50 pm UTC
July 07, 2007 02:50 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ontario
N
Nicholas Ricci Offline
Nicholas Ricci  Offline
N
Mississauga, Ontario
Originally Posted by Ziggy Dietrich
=Funny that almost overnight, it is "toast"...

Hmmm....True... Your Girlfriend didn't drive it did she?

N

*New with some general experience* Take advice at your own risk!
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Nicholas Ricci] #236306
July 07, 2007 03:50 pm UTC
July 07, 2007 03:50 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Or did the mechanic have it fall off his hoist??

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #236529
July 11, 2007 02:07 am UTC
July 11, 2007 02:07 am UTC
Barrie
R
Ryan Smythe Offline OP
Ryan Smythe  Offline OP
R
Barrie
The mechanic didnt have it fall off his hoist.

Re: BG Dan Almeida [Re: Ryan Smythe] #236530
July 11, 2007 02:24 am UTC
July 11, 2007 02:24 am UTC
Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Steve Kinnaird Offline

Steve Kinnaird  Offline

Beamsville, Ont, Canada
While this IS some interesting conversation, Dan A. hasn't posted anything in 2 weeks. Ryan hasn't really updated anything about the transaction, so I'm going to close the thread.

If Ryan, or Dan wish me to re-open it, please, let me know.

Now, I'll have all kinds of time to talk about DSMs, because I won't be busy fixing mine!