July 26, 2002 06:18 pm UTC
July 26, 2002 06:18 pm UTC
toronto, ontario
D
Darryl Malone Offline OP
Darryl Malone  Offline OP
D
toronto, ontario
Is there anyone in the GTA or Ottawa that does ceramic coating or something similar?
Has anyone here ever had something ceramic coated?
Approximately what does it cost to have the O2 housing and/or Turbine housing coated?

Another question on the same topic, why is it that the outside is always coated?
The way I look at it if the outside is coated the casting still heats up, probably more than without a coating. If the inside were coated it would help keep the heat from soaking into the casting. Would not look, as pretty but would keep more heat in the exhaust passage.

Any comments?

Re: ceramic coating #26073
July 27, 2002 08:25 pm UTC
July 27, 2002 08:25 pm UTC
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
I
Ian McDonald Offline
Serious Member
Ian McDonald  Offline
Serious Member
I
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Coating only the outside is useless, there is a good article about ceramic coating in this months issue of car craft mag, i'll see if i can scan it.

Ian McDonald
2002 Subaru WRX
Re: ceramic coating #26074
July 28, 2002 02:47 am UTC
July 28, 2002 02:47 am UTC
Toronto/LA
S
Steve Marton Offline
Steve Marton  Offline
S
Toronto/LA
Hmm, I would think it's not useles, if the coating has any heat insulating/reflective capabilities at all. If you keep the heat inside the metal and in the inside passage, you're as good as if you kept it in the inside passage only. But if you have a good point against that, I wanna hear it.

I don't know much about the properties of these ceramic coatings so it's only theorizing...

Black 91 TSI FWD

"DSM: Making mechanics out of normal people since 1989"
Re: ceramic coating #26075
July 29, 2002 08:26 pm UTC
July 29, 2002 08:26 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

According to Maximum Boost (the book), coating parts of the exhaust (even outside) improves the velocity of the exhaust gases, maximizing flow. As far as I remember, velocity is mostly influenced by the difference of temp between outside and inside of the pipe/exh/O2/etc. I don't have the book with me but I could elaborate on this later tonight.

Also, I guess that since your part (let's say O2 housing) is more insulated, the metal will chill down more slowly, preventing exessive stress on the part. I guess if it gets hot, then cold, then hot.. on and on, that's what make it crack (besides wall thickness for 1G exh many..)

Pierre M
91 Talon Tsi (paint job starting tomorrow !!)

Re: ceramic coating #26076
July 30, 2002 04:45 pm UTC
July 30, 2002 04:45 pm UTC
toronto, ontario
D
Darryl Malone Offline OP
Darryl Malone  Offline OP
D
toronto, ontario
After doing some more research I see that some places do coat the inside and outside.

That's a good thought Pierre that the metal cools more slowly when coated on both sides. It would take longer to heat up and longer to cool down. Makes sense to me.

I found a company that sells a ceramic type coating that you apply with a paint brush, but they couldn't tell me anything about the heat transfer properties.

Anyone know of a place in Ontario that does ceramic coating?