May 04, 2008 12:14 am UTC
May 04, 2008 12:14 am UTC
Saint John New Brunswick
Scotty Mac Offline OP
Serious Member
Scotty Mac  Offline OP
Serious Member
Saint John New Brunswick
Been chasing a few bugs lately, just trying to make sure everything is running right. What value should I be getting on my logger for coolant temp? I am getting a little over 100 which seems a little high(think it converts to over 210 farenheit). I recently got rid of all boost leaks, bypassed the FPS, new throttle shaft seals, fixed ISC, set timing and base idle etc. The problem is the timing at idle when warm is hovering at -2 degrees when it is supposed to be around +8 is it not? I checked all other sources I could think of such as the idle switch on the throttle body. It seems if I let the car sit and cool down a few degrees and then start it up the timing will sit at 8 degrees like it should, but as soon as it runs for a sec the timing goes way down. This is leading me to believe that my temp sensor is on it's way out possibly.

My cooling system is in top shape, gauge always reads a little on the cool side of "straight up" and has no overheating issues no matter the ambient outside temp or driving style. Seems to me the logger temp that the ecu is seeing is a bit higher than it should be.

'92 Laser AWD Turbo

It won't give up, It wants me dead
God damn this noise inside my head
Re: Coolant temp as seen by ECU [Re: Scotty Mac] #264502
May 04, 2008 12:38 am UTC
May 04, 2008 12:38 am UTC
Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Steve Kinnaird Offline

Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Steve Kinnaird  Offline

Beamsville, Ont, Canada
That coolant temp is a little high. I'm normally around 196* with it "peaking" at 203 or so when the car sits for a bit.

There are seperate sending units for the dash gauge, and the ECU.

Having said that, I've found the gauge isn't very linear. You probably wouldn't "see" much of a difference between 200 and 210 or so on it.

High coolant temps, will cause your timing to get retarded.

Are your fans coming on at idle?

Now, I'll have all kinds of time to talk about DSMs, because I won't be busy fixing mine!
Re: Coolant temp as seen by ECU [Re: Steve Kinnaird] #264506
May 04, 2008 01:28 am UTC
May 04, 2008 01:28 am UTC
Saint John New Brunswick
Scotty Mac Offline OP
Serious Member
Scotty Mac  Offline OP
Serious Member
Saint John New Brunswick
Yeah, fan kicks on for about 30 secs and then off while idling, with a few minutes between stopping and starting again which tells me the coolant is at the right temp and it is not rising quickly or staying high. I know the gauge and ecu use different sensors, which is why I was comparing my gauge to the logger data. It did seem to me that it used to be a bit lower on the logger with the same needle position (and when you have overheated as many motors as I have you tend to notice the slightest fraction of a mm of movement in the gauge lol). I'm running the MMCD logging software, is there a way to change it from Celsius to Farenheit? I thought there was but can't find it.

I'm also getting a ton of knock, like 43 counts at anything above 4 psi(even at quarter throttle, just enough to create boost). O2 is showing way rich(.95 or more). This is an unrelated problem but one that I have been battling with. I am trying to eliminate any causes of REAL knock before I chalk it up to phantom or dead/overactive knock sensor.

Thanks for the input Steve, I have been searching for hours and could not find anything where normal logger temps were posted. Btw, do you have any good links for ECU .bins? The ones on the BC DSM site aren't working and I wanted to grab one with the 2g MAS code with all the features I currently have(Stutterbox, NLTS, extended maps, PK removal etc). I don't have a 2g mas yet but want to find the code for when thre time comes. Or do you have the MAF compensation values for a 2g maf? I am using Tunerpro/Ostrich combo.

'92 Laser AWD Turbo

Re: Coolant temp as seen by ECU [Re: Scotty Mac] #264511
May 04, 2008 02:05 am UTC
May 04, 2008 02:05 am UTC
Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Steve Kinnaird Offline

Steve Kinnaird  Offline

Beamsville, Ont, Canada
http://www.hwnd.org/

Should help you LOTS with the 2G MAF compensation (and other things..) Note that the 2g MAF comp isn't JUST the MAF compensation curve. There's a multiplier, and a map scaler that both need to be changed as well.

Sounds like you've got some issues. (unfortunately).

Remember, the fans aren't controlled by the ECU. They are simply on/off based on a thermo switch in the rad itself.

SOMEWHERE in MMCD I'm pretty sure there is an option to change from metric to english (or imperial) units. This should get you your coolant temps in *F.

Now, I'll have all kinds of time to talk about DSMs, because I won't be busy fixing mine!
Re: Coolant temp as seen by ECU [Re: Steve Kinnaird] #264513
May 04, 2008 02:39 am UTC
May 04, 2008 02:39 am UTC
Saint John New Brunswick
Scotty Mac Offline OP
Serious Member
Scotty Mac  Offline OP
Serious Member
Saint John New Brunswick
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird

Remember, the fans aren't controlled by the ECU. They are simply on/off based on a thermo switch in the rad itself.

Yes, this is why I said what I said, since the fans are operating normally and the gauge is normal(2 seperate temp inputs each working properly) then maybe the ECU temp sensor(single third sensor) is faulty.

Thanks for the info, gonna change some things tomorrow. Also have a post on the DSM-ECU board regarding relation of coolant temp vs timing. Maybe someone has the actual correlation and a possible upper limit where the ecu starts to pull mad timing at idle due to high coolant temps.

*edit*

I have seen that site before, and I could use a hex editor... but Tunerpro has a nice little table with Maf compensation and scalars etc.. so I don't need all that code, just the values.

Last edited by Scotty Mac; May 04, 2008 02:42 am UTC.

'92 Laser AWD Turbo

Re: Coolant temp as seen by ECU [Re: Scotty Mac] #264529
May 04, 2008 12:56 pm UTC
May 04, 2008 12:56 pm UTC
Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Steve Kinnaird Offline

Steve Kinnaird  Offline

Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Saw your post on the DSM-ECU list (I replied there as well..)

I'll have to dig a little deeper, but I was SURE timing was pulled on high coolant temps. (Although, retarded ignition timing generally causes coolant temp to rise, so I could be way off here, I suppose.)

What version of MMCD are you using to log?

I've found some of the versions offset the timing by 10*. What you MAY be seeing is actually, 18* while the car is warming up, dropping down to 8 as it reaches op. temp.

Re: Coolant temp as seen by ECU [Re: Steve Kinnaird] #264566
May 04, 2008 08:44 pm UTC
May 04, 2008 08:44 pm UTC
Saint John New Brunswick
Scotty Mac Offline OP
Serious Member
Scotty Mac  Offline OP
Serious Member
Saint John New Brunswick
Well you were right, I am running MMCD 1.8, and it had an option under preferences for stealth/dsm. Everything looks good now. Also found the metric/standard button. Car is running 203-206 farenheit normally. Would have never figured out the timing problem, thanks for the help!

'92 Laser AWD Turbo