September 07, 2008 04:06 pm UTC
September 07, 2008 04:06 pm UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Online content OP
Insane Member
Mike Lane  Online Content OP
Insane Member
Windsor
So basically I have been reading alot of everyones talk of manifolds around here lately. Im wondering if getting an intake manifold will screw with anything? or is it just like doing your exhaust? If I wanted to start with everything that did not require me to tune what would i be missing with my primary list:

new clutch, Apexi N1 exhaust, magniflow cat, some sort of down pipe that fits to those 2 (port the turbo to prevent boost creep?) ETS short route 3 inch race core, BOV (tial/greddy), Exhaust manifold -no clue(darren p s evo one looks very clean, or else one that is shiny and hopefully needs no heat rap), intake manifold (jmf/FP/ idunno)

Now i figure none of that SHOULD require tuning? but im not shure what al that high flow does to turbo pressures, fuel mixtures ect...
Realize I should get guages near the top of that list(3 pod a pillar-boost and iduno-egt?oil/water temp?) which means i need to decide on a boost controller for the guage I guess(leaning tward electronic for its ballin factor lol)

Thats my primary plans for now(im shure that ll be a bunch of years in comleting) tuning necessary? bigger injectors? (but with bigger injectors i need to tune?) FP/garret/evo turbo? That requires tuning?

Sorry massive long post lol ponder

98GSX Black:1st car/resto proj
97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
RIP 86 turbo ZX, 92 turbo 2000GTX
Re: Upgrading without tuning [Re: Mike Lane] #276613
September 07, 2008 08:38 pm UTC
September 07, 2008 08:38 pm UTC
mississauga,ont
A
Aaron Gamgee Offline
Serious Member
Aaron Gamgee  Offline
Serious Member
A
mississauga,ont
If your not sure if tuning would be needed on various parts, then your obviously not ready for them...

Sorry if I sound harsh...

Usually sheet metal intake manis are for the guys that are running bigger turbos and bigger cams. Therefore reducing the restriction in the intake manifold usually above 7k rpm,

Take Reza for instance, Stock intake mani has brough him to an 11.0
He is only now considering a SMIM.

If you have stock cams your probably not making any power above 7k anyways....

Good luck buddy, and keep on the researching.

Aaron

Re: Upgrading without tuning [Re: Aaron Gamgee] #276619
September 07, 2008 09:58 pm UTC
Brampton/Toronto
Mike Palome Offline
Serious Member
Mike Palome  Offline
Serious Member
Brampton/Toronto
This is something you would do at the end. First get a big turbo ,cams, and supporting mods. Like Aaron mentioned above this is one of those mods that will free up some power up top. I would buy one if I had the spare cash because my dyno sheets take a nose dive above 6000rpms. As far as tuning goes get Dsmlink( Best bang for buck).

Last edited by Mike Palome; September 07, 2008 10:00 pm UTC.

1995 AWD talon
Re: Upgrading without tuning [Re: Aaron Gamgee] #276620
Saint John New Brunswick
Scotty Mac Offline
Serious Member
Scotty Mac  Offline
Serious Member
Saint John New Brunswick
The car uses a mass air system. As long as you aren't overrunning the maf with too much air or maxxing your injectors to supply the extra fuel then you don't desperately need tuning. Once you change injectors though, a tuning method is required. The computer needs to know how much fuel the new injectors are putting out with x amount of open time.

You have a few options:

1) SAFC: Cheapest solution(unless you already have an Eprom ecu, in which case see one of the following alternatives... which all require a socketed Eprom ECU)

2) Have someone burn a chip for you with the new injector size. If you don't have a chip burner yourself then this can be a pain to make other tuning changes.

3) DSM link: Nice easy to use interface, but expensive.

4) Ostrich emulator + Tunerpro RT: This is the best alternative so far. As long as you can learn Tunerpro, you have full control of your ecu.

5) Ostrich emulator + DSMap: Ditch your MAF and get a 3 bar gm map sensor and IAT. Install DSMap. Enjoy almost all the functionality of an AEM EMS for less than an SAFC. Harder to tune though. Need to have a good grasp on tuning with Volumetric Efficiency.

'92 Laser AWD Turbo

It won't give up, It wants me dead
God damn this noise inside my head
Re: Upgrading without tuning [Re: Scotty Mac] #276681
September 08, 2008 03:08 pm UTC
September 08, 2008 03:08 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
You don't really need to tune from where you're going. But if you don't even have a boost gauge yet (that was my first mod, after a stereo) you shouldn't be thinking about an intake manifold.

As for exhaust manifolds, a ported and matched 2G manifold with a ported exhaust housing on the turbo should be just fine for you.

Re: Upgrading without tuning [Re: Troy Jollimore] #276754
September 09, 2008 02:02 am UTC
September 09, 2008 02:02 am UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Ryan Laliberte Offline

No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Ryan Laliberte  Offline

No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Belleville, Ontario
One other problem that plagues SMIM's, is the loss of low end torque.

If you haven't upgraded the turbo, you don't need a bigger intake manifold. I would look at the staged DSM upgrades, as well as what swappable parts you can use (6 bolt, 1G Intake manifold, etc).

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth
RTMRacing - Your Canadian source for DSM Parts

"Every moment you live is pregnant with the next moment of your life" --Jim Carrey

Last Login: September 28, 2021
Re: Upgrading without tuning [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #276761
September 09, 2008 04:16 am UTC
September 09, 2008 04:16 am UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Online content OP
Insane Member
Mike Lane  Online Content OP
Insane Member
Windsor
ahh i understand now, I just didnt know what the manifolds affected, so now i understand it is later on in my plans.
it will be a while before i play with anything, but when I do my first mods will be guages, clutch,exhaust, BOV, and FMIC

98GSX Black:1st car/resto proj
97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
RIP 86 turbo ZX, 92 turbo 2000GTX
Re: Upgrading without tuning [Re: Mike Lane] #276774
September 09, 2008 12:36 pm UTC
September 09, 2008 12:36 pm UTC
Halifax Nova Scotia
kent Hennigar Offline
Serious Member
kent Hennigar  Offline
Serious Member
Halifax Nova Scotia
When I started my 2nd projeck 93 TSi FWD. I found the best way was to get all the bolt on's out of the way right away. Then I move onto the foule system and futher tuning. I just made plans to start my 3rd projecked in 2009 wiht the 92 AWD tsi I just bought

1st step

3" exhaust
boost guage
A/F Guage
Manule boost controler
FMIC + 2 1/2 " intake piping
KN air filter with shroud removed
16 G evo turbo upgrade

2nd
Wide band A/F guage
walbro 255 LPM foule pump
650 cc injecters
apexi pigy back foule system
HKS cams

I to have plans to grab one of the nice shiney and beter intake manifolds but for now I am just runing 16-17 psi keeping it safe till I get beter at tuning

Just Because you are not paranoid dose NOT mean they are not out to get YOU !