July 04, 2011 01:31 pm UTC
July 04, 2011 01:31 pm UTC
Sudbury
Blayne Byrne Offline OP
Serious Member
Blayne Byrne  Offline OP
Serious Member
Sudbury
It was pointed out to me that my brake lights weren't working yesterday. Fuse was burnt, changed it and it blew. Checked all the bulbs and they were fine. Took off the ground for both sides and ensured good contact, still nothing. So I unplugged both side harnesses from the lights to elimenate the problem being farther than that and it still blew.

I am not a wiring or electronics guru....I hate it be honest. Any ideas of some places to look. This weekend I put in a stereo, could I have disturbed some wires running the power cable? The lights worked after the install for a while, just quit last night.

Any tips or areas to look would help!

Thanks

Last edited by Blayne Byrne; July 04, 2011 01:38 pm UTC.

The 4G63 motor code is street shorthand for dominance. It's automotive Darwinism
Re: No brake lights on 2G [Re: Blayne Byrne] #356636
July 04, 2011 02:39 pm UTC
July 04, 2011 02:39 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
When the fuese is blown, is the light to the stereo out also? Looks like you might have drawn power from the light switch area and created a short there somewhere. Maybe some wires not well insulated/wrapped?

"bluebird" worlds fastest scooter ridden by me
"Whitebird" RIP
Re: No brake lights on 2G [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #356685
July 05, 2011 02:11 am UTC
July 05, 2011 02:11 am UTC
Sudbury
Blayne Byrne Offline OP
Serious Member
Blayne Byrne  Offline OP
Serious Member
Sudbury
Ziggy my CD player works fine. The deck was put in months ago with no issues. Soldered all wires and used shrink tube. The stereo I talked about was just the subs and an amp. I ran the power wire along the passenger side kick panel where the wires are run from the factory. There is a short somewhere for sure. I have the factory electrical manual, so I am going to look to see if ANYTHING else gets power from that fuse. If not, I will have to trace the wired from the lights all the way to the front. Thats all I can think of. Thanks for the tip Ziggy, it was daytime when it happened, so I will check the deck to make sure there are lights. I was running an ipod so never really payed attention to the deck. I will keep you posted

The 4G63 motor code is street shorthand for dominance. It's automotive Darwinism
Re: No brake lights on 2G [Re: Blayne Byrne] #356848
July 07, 2011 10:43 pm UTC
July 07, 2011 10:43 pm UTC
Sudbury
Blayne Byrne Offline OP
Serious Member
Blayne Byrne  Offline OP
Serious Member
Sudbury
So I took another look at the lights today. Looked in the manual and it showed that the front side markers run from the same fuse, but that wasn't the problem. I never checked the third barake light tho. Checked it out and pulled the plastic sover off the bottom of the hatch to expose the wires and wiper motor area.....well there it was. Last time I put that cover on I accidentally clipped one of the clips right on the wires. 4 wires were shorting out. So, I am glad it was a simple fix.

Thanks for the help Ziggy!!!

Re: No brake lights on 2G [Re: Blayne Byrne] #356850
July 07, 2011 11:09 pm UTC
July 07, 2011 11:09 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Glad you got it figured out...a short can be AWFULLY hard to find.

"bluebird" worlds fastest scooter ridden by me
"Whitebird" RIP