My second outing in the Talon for 2011... and it was August! ponder

After fixing my cracked exhaust manifold and melted oil dip stick, I was ready for action.

The venue for this event was in a rather small & tight parking lot in Truro. That meant a small & tight course, which does not favor my car. It's also somewhat bumpy with lots of big dips. So I wasn't expecting a stellar performance.

[Linked Image]

This time I tried out my new laptop mount and captured ECMLink logs of each run. Plus I had my Dell pocket PC with MaxQData running for GPS-based data acquisition. And I had my new Drift HD170 action camera setup. A total geekfest. lol!

I mounted the big Goodyear race tires and set the pressures the same as at the previous lapping day. I had also raised the ride height of the car about 1cm as the tires had been rubbing pretty hard on the fender arches at the track.

First run was somewhat conservative, getting a feel for the grip... there wasn't much of it. Lots of boost lag too. The course was so tight that I couldn't get into the boost anywhere. Felt slow, and it was. Came in about 4 seconds off FTD.

Second run was a bit better. This time I focused on getting on the throttle as early as possible (basically at corner entry) in an effort to build some corner exit boost, and also tried to improve my lines so I could hold that throttle down. Dropped 2 seconds off my previous time.

[Linked Image]

Third & fourth runs were about the same but no improvement. My second run ended up being my fastest of the day. This put me 4/5 in my class and 8/23 overall. Pretty dismal, but my driving was rusty and the course didn't suit my car. Oh well, at least the car was finally out racing instead of stuck at home on jack stands. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After the event I read a magazine tire test article where they tested the Goodyear tire against the Hoosier A6 and a max-performance street tire (Hankook RS3). I was disappoint to learn that the Goodyear was a full second slower than the Hoosier and a mere 0.5 second faster than the street tire!

Considering that they were testing the softer autox compound Goodyear, that would mean my harder road race compound is even slower... Likely on-par with the street tire, or even slower. Ugh. Oh well, at least I got them for 1/2 price (promotional offer). smile

I also learned from the article that the Goodyears like much higher than conventional air pressures, to the tune of +15psi more. So evidently I had been running mine much too low. Next event I try adding more pressure to see if they grip any better.

Scott McIntyre
1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 Mitsu EVO X MR