August 11, 2014 05:35 pm UTC
August 11, 2014 05:35 pm UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Offline OP
Insane Member
Mike Lane  Offline OP
Insane Member
Windsor
Hey all. A little update. I have finally purchased some much needed essentials after working my ass off all spring and summer. I just added a nice shop vac, an awesome auto darkening lincoln welding helmet, and a lincoln 120v MIG to my tool stash, just need some gas to start welding. I am almost prepared to buy a Rotisserie to boost progress along, as I have found a guy that can build me a high quality unit locally in brantford. This will allow me to feel safer around the car than it seems right now wieghing so little on 4 safety stands. I can then use it as a dolly to trailer the shell around for sandblasting and paintwork, ect. And while at home no doubt its going to be the best tool ever while I am working at rust repair, ect.

Anyways, I am trying to come up with some ideas on the best option to bolt the arms to the chassis. I ve seen muscle cars with them bolted to the sides of the frame or where the bumper would go. Since our crash beam bolts on from underneath, that would be another option using factory crash beam bolt holes. Anyone else have any other ideas on bolting a 2g chassis to a rotisserie? I ll be in my garage taking a look tongue

98GSX Black:1st car/resto proj
97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
RIP 86 turbo ZX, 92 turbo 2000GTX
Re: Rotisserie Mounts [Re: Mike Lane] #431220
August 11, 2014 06:20 pm UTC
August 11, 2014 06:20 pm UTC
Ottawa, ON
Mike Eng Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Mike Eng  Offline
Ottawa, ON
There are two solid beams that are under the headlights at the front crash bar. I would try to utilize those both but connecting the rotisserie to them is the tricky part.

Only thing that comes to mind is welding studs on them. Then when finished, cut them off..

This is interesting.

'99 GSX GT35R
'03 CBR 600RR
Re: Rotisserie Mounts [Re: Mike Lane] #431221
August 11, 2014 06:21 pm UTC
August 11, 2014 06:21 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
I would say the crash bar idea is probably the best.
Only other suggestion would be to use the subframe mounting, but that's making the assumption that all that stuff will be off.

"Old Blue" 91 Talon TSi AWD
"Super Enthusiast" 91 Talon TSi AWD
Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Rotisserie Mounts [Re: Mike Lane] #431245
August 12, 2014 01:57 am UTC
August 12, 2014 01:57 am UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Offline OP
Insane Member
Mike Lane  Offline OP
Insane Member
Windsor
I got my ass in gear tonight and unsiezed some massive casters. I have two free sets of swivel and fixed 8" rollers to supply as an upgrade!

Then I reorganized my basement to get ready to give it the next transformation to full on workspace, and in doing so grabbed my front and rear crashbeams out of the pile of mess that is (er was?)my car. Totally forgot the 4 posts that slide into the front and rear frame rails are removable. Looking at using them as mounts if I dont dub them too weak. With another idea I need to see what clearance I have, or need to make, to bolt some tubing to the underside of the framerails.

Pictures to follow

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
Re: Rotisserie Mounts [Re: Mike Lane] #431251
August 12, 2014 02:30 am UTC
August 12, 2014 02:30 am UTC
Kitchener Ontario
Stephen Richardson Offline
Insane Member
Stephen Richardson  Offline
Insane Member
Kitchener Ontario
Your crash bar mounts will be the perfect to mount it. Not only are they probably a good centre of gravity, if the car buckles or crumples from those point it probably best to just scrap the shell you never would of been able to fix it.

Re: Rotisserie Mounts [Re: Stephen Richardson] #431259
August 12, 2014 04:44 am UTC
August 12, 2014 04:44 am UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Offline OP
Insane Member
Mike Lane  Offline OP
Insane Member
Windsor
Originally Posted by Stephen Richardson
Your crash bar mounts will be the perfect to mount it. Not only are they probably a good centre of gravity, if the car buckles or crumples from those point it probably best to just scrap the shell you never would of been able to fix it.

By your wording I am unsure if you are referring to the brackets or the frame rails? I believe that is the same train of thought I just looked into:

Crash bars:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
You can See my intercooler mounts to the face of the brackets. So I dont want to mess with the perfectly drilled face of them and mess with my fitment:
[Linked Image]
However if the top and bottom bolts are strong enough I would consider using them.
[Linked Image]

The front and rear brackets seem the best way to work on the frame totally unobstructed by rotisserie mounts. Not sure they are strong enough, not the thickest hunks of metal. The damn rear beam bolts are already siezed/rounding/snapping too.

Or else where those brackets slide into the frame is plan B. As you can recall 4 bolts hold the brackets inside the frame at each end, and I suppose rotisserie mounts could be bolted somehow to the underside of the chassis frame rails. Advantages; stronger. Disadvantages; other bits of chassis in the way, obstructs a few feet of frame rails at each end when blasting and coating.

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red