December 19, 2014 12:35 am UTC
December 19, 2014 12:35 am UTC
Kitchener Ontario
Stephen Richardson Offline OP
Insane Member
Stephen Richardson  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kitchener Ontario
I am considering get tattoo's of my daughters names. Just not sure if I should do it on forearms bicepts or ass cheeks. Any input on which hurts more would great.

Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436283
December 19, 2014 02:13 am UTC
December 19, 2014 02:13 am UTC
Canada
Terry S Offline
Insane Member
Terry S  Offline
Insane Member
Canada
Love tats.... Get them on your chest, either left or right side..

Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436292
December 19, 2014 04:41 am UTC
December 19, 2014 04:41 am UTC
Ontario, Canada
S
Salomon Ponte Offline
Insane Member
Salomon Ponte  Offline
Insane Member
S
Ontario, Canada
Ass cheeks....cause they're a pain in your ass? Haha...ass cheeks probably hurt least - very fatty and no bone anywhere near the surface, and we sit on/use our asses for a lot of stuff so the surface is pretty numb relative to most parts of our body. That's what I'd assume anyways.

Chest will be (very) painful, especially upper chest (towards collar bone). Arms would be somewhere in-between.

'92 Talon TSi AWD - 5 Speed/E16G/12.385s @ 115.13mph
Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436301
December 19, 2014 05:42 pm UTC
December 19, 2014 05:42 pm UTC
Cambridge, ON
Kyle Dolson Offline
Serious Member
Kyle Dolson  Offline
Serious Member
Cambridge, ON
I think chest would be best spot for something like that. Inside of arm hurts and yea, that part of your chest will feel great too!

I know a shitload of people that tattoo at shops of course. If you haven't found somewhere to go, I can give you a few suggestions poppa bear!

PHP: 1
Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436302
December 19, 2014 05:44 pm UTC
December 19, 2014 05:44 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Toss the suggestions up on here, I am sure there are others that might like that.

"Old Blue" 91 Talon TSi AWD
"Super Enthusiast" 91 Talon TSi AWD
Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436306
December 19, 2014 07:05 pm UTC
December 19, 2014 07:05 pm UTC
Kitchener Ontario
Insane Member
Insane Member
Kitchener Ontario
I am really leaning toward forearm.

Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436309
December 19, 2014 08:09 pm UTC
December 19, 2014 08:09 pm UTC
NiagaraFalls, ON
Paul Bratina Offline
Insane Member
Paul Bratina  Offline
Insane Member
NiagaraFalls, ON
People get tattoos for all kinds of different reasons. Some get them for decoration (usually primarily intended to be seen by others), some get them to mark significant events in their lives (primarily intended for themselves) or, in some cases, primarily intended to be seen by others. Where you choose to get a tattoo depends largely on its purpose.

I have two small tattoos that mark significant events in my life and are primarily intended to be viewed by me only. They're on my chest and in mirror image so that I can read them in the mirror (like I said, they're for me).

I'm guessing that in your case you want to proudly display your daughters' names for all to see? I'm not sure, only you can answer that. But their intended purpose should lead you to their location.

By the way, I wouldn't choose a location based on how much or how little it would hurt. You can endure a few minutes of discomfort. I'm fairly certain it won't be as bad as the childbirth your daughters' mother had to endure, right?

Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436329
December 19, 2014 11:19 pm UTC
December 19, 2014 11:19 pm UTC
Kitchener Ontario
Insane Member
Insane Member
Kitchener Ontario
Thanks Paul. I have been wanting to do it since they were born. So Yes it is to proudly display their names for others to see.

I am pretty sure I am going with the forearms.

Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436359
December 20, 2014 08:42 am UTC
December 20, 2014 08:42 am UTC
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Brandon Clement Offline
Brandon Clement  Offline
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
I figure I should chime in on this thread, as I have some experience with tattoos.

1) It doesn't matter where you get it, the sh!t hurts regardless, anyone who tells you their tattoo didn't hurt is a liar. The level of pain and type of pain do change depending on the spot. Inner forearms are more of a pinching sharp pain, Outer forearms are more of a blunt pain. I do not find getting my outer forearms tattooed very bad, but inner and close to the wrist is very sharp, feels almost like it's a cutting, not much of a fan haha.

2) Ass cheeks are actually very painful to get tattooed. Your butt is covered almost your entire life, it is not exposed to the elements very much at all, and thus it hasn't built up a tolerance or "callus" for pain. I've tattooed 4 or 5 butt cheeks in the last couple years, and none of them were fun for the client, haha. Another example is the stomach, the stomach is a soft spot, lots of muscle or fat there, but hurts like a mother fracker when getting tattooed. I've seen some pretty tough guys make some real bad faces and have to take a lot of breaks during a 2 or 3 hour session.

3) Never choose a spot on your body based on the pain, the pain is really not so bad unless you get it in some of the bad places. I've got my forearms, biceps, elbows, palm, shoulders, neck, feet, legs, thighs, chest, penis, hands, fingers, etc, all tattooed, they were all uncomfortable but all worth it and I didn't die (although, while getting my palm tattooed, I definitely wanted to haha). Depending on the type of tattoo you want to get, different parts of the body work better when it comes to flow of a tattoo, how it looks.

4) If you get it on your wrist, please do not get it upside (facing you). Listen to your artist about placement, if they are a quality tattoo artist / shop, they will want what is best for their client. Much like me, I always want to make sure that the tattoo looks the best for my client, position, composition / flow, as well as style. Most important part is to listen and negotiate with your artist about a position, we do this as a living, and the good ones know the best spot, with some leeway of course.

5) Another first time tattoo client tip is to make sure you EAT before you get your tattoo done. Don't go in on an empty stomach or you will regret it. Nerves can get the best of you before your tattoo, (I still get nervous and I've got a decent amount of work done) and with that you wont be hungry, but trust me, your body is going to need that sugar. Even a quick banger can drain you if you're nervous. Your nerves will cause your body to become flooded with adrenaline when getting tattooed, once you realize how easy it is, and calm down, that adrenaline leaves and drains you completely. You can feel quite light headed or sick because of this. So eat something like a donut, drink a can of pop, or a cup of orange juice. It really helps a lot. If it's a long session, get that meal in your stomach, your body needs it to endure hours of pain.

For instance, I will not tattoo anyones neck, throat, face, hands, fingers, etc (visible tattoos) unless they have a career that they have security as well as it wont cause issues. For people who get tattooed on the forearm, I always give 2 finger spaces from the wrist for placement. That way, when you're wearing a dress shirt / long sleeve shirt for work, if your sleeve pulls up a bit, it wont show.

In the end, there is nothing else like getting a tattoo. It will be an awesome experience and don't get worked up, just enjoy it! smile

Anyways, if you have any questions about tattoos, tattoo shops, placement, etc etc, I can answer them for you no problem, can either respond in this thread or to pm.

Last edited by Brandon Clement; December 20, 2014 08:55 am UTC.

No more Jetta!
Tattoo Artist at Lost Anchor
Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436400
December 22, 2014 04:57 am UTC
December 22, 2014 04:57 am UTC
Peterborough, ON
Mark Bondy Offline
Serious Member
Mark Bondy  Offline
Serious Member
Peterborough, ON
Originally Posted by Stephen Richardson
I am considering get tattoo's of my daughters names. Just not sure if I should do it on forearms bicepts or ass cheeks. Any input on which hurts more would great.

Your daughters name on your butt would just be weird, in my opinion. I would go with biceps out of the choices you gave.

Contrary to what the poster above said, in my experience, tattoos do not hurt. I have a few on my arms, neck, hand/fingers... old-school stuff from long ago. Having said that, tattoo REMOVAL hurts like a mofo - I've had a few laser treatments for my neck/hands. If I could offer any advice it would be to think clearly about exactly what you want before you get it so as to avoid the regret and cost/pain of removal.

I find many of the statements made by the person above to be very strange - good tattoo artists do not try to direct the course of your life choices... they're artists, not social workers.

Sometimes I use words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436414
December 22, 2014 08:31 pm UTC
December 22, 2014 08:31 pm UTC
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Brandon Clement Offline
Brandon Clement  Offline
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Whatever you do, don't listen to Mark Bondy. Unless you have nerve damage over your entire body, you will feel pain from being tattooed. The type / level of pain will change depending on location. However, it wont kill you, and it's definitely worth it.

Research a quality artist / shop, they will tell you the same stuff I have. Maybe if Mark did, he wouldn't be going through laser now, and I'm guessing removing shitty 90s biker shop tattoos.

No, we aren't social workers, but we are often time artists and therapists. However, this is our job. I wouldn't go to a doctor and tell him how to do his job, we spend our entire career learning new and better ways to tattoo. From pigments, to techniques, to flow, to composition.

No more Jetta!
Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436415
December 22, 2014 10:05 pm UTC
December 22, 2014 10:05 pm UTC
Cambridge, ON
Kyle Dolson Offline
Serious Member
Kyle Dolson  Offline
Serious Member
Cambridge, ON
So there you have it Stephen... All the advice you need!

As for places.... I have gotten piercings and my mom a tattoo at a shop on king st. Near university in Waterloo called Tora. It's actually right off of king st. by the mr. Sub. Great place, very professional and usually a waiting list.

I've got a friend named Jeremy zetler who works out of perfect image tattoo in Waterloo. He's an amazing artist and has had a love for it since he was like 13.

My last suggestion is a place here in cambridge. It's on king street in Preston called lucky souls. A guy named Paul tattooed me. I got black lettering and I'll say 11 years later and my tattoo doesn't look faded or blurry.

PHP: 1
Re: Tattoo's [Re: Brandon Clement] #436416
December 22, 2014 11:17 pm UTC
December 22, 2014 11:17 pm UTC
Etobicoke
Deep Mann Offline
Serious Member
Deep Mann  Offline
Serious Member
Etobicoke
Originally Posted by Brandon Clement

Maybe if Mark did, he wouldn't be going through laser now, and I'm guessing removing shitty 90s biker shop tattoos.

rotflmao

1998 Tsi Awd 10.6@134

Re: Tattoo's [Re: Brandon Clement] #436450
December 23, 2014 09:48 pm UTC
December 23, 2014 09:48 pm UTC
Peterborough, ON
Mark Bondy Offline
Serious Member
Mark Bondy  Offline
Serious Member
Peterborough, ON
Whatever you do, don't listen to Mark Bondy. Unless you have nerve damage over your entire body, you will feel pain from being tattooed. The type / level of pain will change depending on location. However, it wont kill you, and it's definitely worth it.

Research a quality artist / shop, they will tell you the same stuff I have. Maybe if Mark did, he wouldn't be going through laser now, and I'm guessing removing shitty 90s biker shop tattoos.

No, we aren't social workers, but we are often time artists and therapists. However, this is our job. I wouldn't go to a doctor and tell him how to do his job, we spend our entire career learning new and better ways to tattoo. From pigments, to techniques, to flow, to composition.

Yeah, don't listen to me; my experience is different than yours and therefore, my opinion can't possibly have value.

The quality of my tattoos are fine, it's the content that's the problem. Nothing that I want to discuss on an open forum.

Anyway, it's obvious you're not just an amateur tattoo artist from the tone of your type, so how about a link to your portfolio? Maybe you can hook up Stephen, Club DSM special, yeah? Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he's gonna want it on his a$$ though, which I'm guessing would be your preferred location wink

Sometimes I use words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436459
December 24, 2014 01:38 am UTC
December 24, 2014 01:38 am UTC
Kitchener Ontario
Insane Member
Insane Member
Kitchener Ontario
I am listening to all opinions. I dont plan on getting them on my asscheeks that was actually a joke. I dont plan on getting them on my chest. I want them displayed. Not on my face or neck. I have no worries about getting a career. Already 20 years into it. And believe me they aint going to fire me over a tattoo on my forearm. I will never be worried having them remove my daughters will always be my daughters.

I know my cousin had some great work done by Jamie @Tora tattoo. Probably just going to go there.

Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436463
December 24, 2014 04:28 am UTC
December 24, 2014 04:28 am UTC
Ottawa, ON
Mike Eng Offline
Mike Eng  Offline
Ottawa, ON
Inside forearm ftw. You'll see them often and think of them just as often. smile

Oh and don't be that guy who gets it's done in Chinese.

Far too many wannabes wink

Last edited by Mike Eng; December 24, 2014 04:31 am UTC.

'99 GSX GT35R
'03 CBR 600RR
Re: Tattoo's [Re: Mark Bondy] #436464
December 24, 2014 04:31 am UTC
December 24, 2014 04:31 am UTC
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Brandon Clement Offline
Brandon Clement  Offline
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Mark Bondy

Yeah, don't listen to me; my experience is different than yours and therefore, my opinion can't possibly have value.

The quality of my tattoos are fine, it's the content that's the problem. Nothing that I want to discuss on an open forum.

Anyway, it's obvious you're not just an amateur tattoo artist from the tone of your type, so how about a link to your portfolio? Maybe you can hook up Stephen, Club DSM special, yeah? Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he's gonna want it on his a$$ though, which I'm guessing would be your preferred location wink

I am glad you're getting laser done, thank god for technology. When I was young and dumb, I got some pretty shitty tattoos as well, it happens to most people. However, saying they don't hurt is just dumb haha. I will give you a real good discount on an armpit or palm tattoo if you can take it without wincing at all, we can even have the board make bets.

If he didn't live so far away, I would gladly give him a DSM discount, however, it wouldn't make any sense, there are plenty of fantastic artists out his way, I'm sure he will have no issue finding one.

The ass message was because someone said it wouldn't hurt because it's a meaty area, I was just tossing them some information because I've tattooed both girls and guys on the ass, and neither of them had fun.

Last edited by Brandon Clement; December 24, 2014 04:42 am UTC.

No more Jetta!
Re: Tattoo's [Re: Stephen Richardson] #436465
December 24, 2014 04:35 am UTC
December 24, 2014 04:35 am UTC
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Brandon Clement Offline
Brandon Clement  Offline
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Stephen Richardson
I am listening to all opinions. I dont plan on getting them on my asscheeks that was actually a joke. I dont plan on getting them on my chest. I want them displayed. Not on my face or neck. I have no worries about getting a career. Already 20 years into it. And believe me they aint going to fire me over a tattoo on my forearm. I will never be worried having them remove my daughters will always be my daughters.

I know my cousin had some great work done by Jamie @Tora tattoo. Probably just going to go there.

Yes, the ass was a joke, my response was to anyone who posted in this thread, just some information for the misconceptions haha. If you've seen some quality work from there, and it healed up good, then that sounds like a fantastic idea. From what I checked out, he does some good work.

No more Jetta!
Re: Tattoo's [Re: Mike Eng] #436466
December 24, 2014 04:48 am UTC
December 24, 2014 04:48 am UTC
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Brandon Clement Offline
Brandon Clement  Offline
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Mike Eng
Inside forearm ftw. You'll see them often and think of them just as often. smile

Oh and don't be that guy who gets it's done in Chinese.

Far too many wannabes wink

Your daughters love chicken soup? haha

No more Jetta!