February 07, 2005 09:47 pm UTC
February 07, 2005 09:47 pm UTC
Calgary
R
Ryan Phelps Offline OP
Ryan Phelps  Offline OP
R
Calgary
Looking for some help with importing a DSM. I’ve done some research (SEARCH, VFAQ, RIV, Canada Border Serv & US Customs), and feel comfortable with the process, but still have a few questions for those who have done it.

1) How do you find out if a USA registered car has a lien on it… not just taking the word of the seller. Carfax doesn’t offer that service.

2) Where do I get the Recall Clearance letter? I’ve read conflicing thots on this.. some say the OEM, some say just a Cdn dealership. Can I even go to a Canadian dealer to get info like that on a USA registered car? I’m inclined to think it should come from Mitsu OEM, and would have to be a USA plant, not CDN? Any phone numbers for this would be greatly appreciated.

3) I don’t fully understand the manufacturer's statement of compliance label? Some say you need a letter, others say it’s on the car? How can I confirm if it’s on the car, and it’s the right info? Where is it located on the car.. driver door? I’d hate to get to the border assuming everything's fine, but customs says it’s not!

4) This is a stupid question, but what’s the difference between “US Title to the vehicle” and “the registration document”?

I think that’s it. Thanks for your help.

Re: Importing a DSM #1035
February 08, 2005 04:13 pm UTC
February 08, 2005 04:13 pm UTC
Regina
C
Chris Schwan Offline
Chris Schwan  Offline
C
Regina
Alright, I went through this this past april/May

1) I used Autocheck. It tells you if there is a lien (www.autocheck.com)

2) MITSUBISHI 800-222-0037

3) It will be on the inside of the driver's door. Almost all cars have this, I wouldn't worry too much if the car is semi-modern.

4) Cars in the states are like houses. It will have an actual Title Document, held by the bank if it's got a bank lien, that transfers with the car. The Registration is the document the DMV gives them so that they don't have to carry the title around with them, or if there's a lien and the title is being held.