November 09, 2005 05:25 pm UTC
November 09, 2005 05:25 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello I am new here and have recently experienced the problem that others have had here and am hoping for some more definite resolution.

I have idle surge, originally just started out with high idle then started surging 1200-1600 RPM. It does this after the car has warmed up a bit, (when cold it just idles VERY high. I took it in to a shop specializing in Japanese cars but their diagnostic did not find anything, they cleaned the injectors and reset idle trim and ECM or something like that. It was back to normal for a few days, idling at 750, then gradually got worse, and after 2 weeks now is the same as before.

Looked at Terry's Talon troubleshooting guide, but I am no car tech and it means nothing to me. I was hoping maybe in all the experience with Talons someone here may have some advice - at least something I could provide to the tech here to try on my car, some test to really determine the problem. The tech here has suggested that furhter diagnostic could run a couple hundred $$ and if part have to be replaced hundreds more, (and still nothing is really guarantted top fix the problem). The other option is to just keep doing the reset every couple of weeks in the interm, (he said he will show me how - I seems to be more involved than simply pulling the fuse for the ECM). This is a 92 AWD original owned Talon from Manitoba, just moved here this year and was well cared for and in excellent condition prior to moving.

The other thing is I was considering getting a new car anyway and wondering how much money is worth pouring into this car now - any advice? At 185000 KM and already about $1500 put into it the past year for new timing belt and rad fan motor I'm questioning the value of pouring in more money I can't afford. And I have no skills knowledge or tools to do any work on it myself.

Any advice most appreciated, cheers !

Mike

Re: Idle surge #118168
November 09, 2005 05:45 pm UTC
November 09, 2005 05:45 pm UTC
Loc: Loc:
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Welcome!
Here are some things that could contribute to your problem:

- air leak at the throttle body
- throttle cable out of adjustment
- closed throttle position sensor out of adjustment

When too much air gets past the throttle plate while the throttle is closed, the ECU loses control and you get idle surge.

If you fix thoes and then reset the idle (via the BISS screw, see http://www.vfaq.com ), the surge should go away.

Failing this, it could be the ISC (idle speed controller).

Originally posted by Mike S Abraham:
I'm questioning the value of pouring in more money I can't afford. And I have no skills knowledge or tools to do any work on it myself.
It's a DSM.
The knowledge is here, you can get the skills.
All you are missing is the tools.
And of course you'll need some workspace, time and patience.
These cars are not for the faint of heart!

Good luck smile

1993 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
13.8 @ 106 :::: 14.1 @ 117
Re: Idle surge #118169
November 09, 2005 06:25 pm UTC
November 09, 2005 06:25 pm UTC
Edmonton, AB
AJ Vogrinetz Offline
AJ Vogrinetz  Offline
Edmonton, AB
I just recently got idle surge too, but haven't had time to find the cause due to a clutch slave cylinder failure. When i was looking at it I remember hearing a little hissing around the TB, what is the easiest way to check for leaks and what is the most common spot for them to form?

Thanks for your guys' help

AJ

Addicted to BOOST! \:D
Re: Idle surge #118170
November 09, 2005 06:33 pm UTC
November 09, 2005 06:33 pm UTC
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Throttle shaft seal leaks are common for an old throttle body, especially on a turbo car.

You can get new seals from Canadian Bearings.
Search this board for that name, and you'll find the part number.

To find leaks, do a boost leak test.
http://www.vfaq.com

1993 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
13.8 @ 106 :::: 14.1 @ 117
Re: Idle surge #118171
November 09, 2005 10:31 pm UTC
November 09, 2005 10:31 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ont
Jerry Rose Offline
Insane Member
Jerry Rose  Offline
Insane Member
Mississauga, Ont
Resetting the ecu and fuel trims is a simple as disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. For $50 every few weeks I can do that for you laugh The problem is resetting wont fix your problem and neither will this tech who is taking your cash. How much did he charge you to pull the battery and drop in a bottle of injector cleaner?

Reread Terrys idle surge faq. Check for intake leaks in hoses, holes in intercooler outlet, clean throttle body, motor vac engine flush may help for a while, learn how to set you base idle yourself from Robs link and test your ISC with a multimeter which is a must for a basic toolkit. Simple test page If you have no cash, no tools, no time to read the faqs in Robs link and no time to learn some basic diagnostic procedures then sell the car because it will cost you a fortune to have unfamiliar techs fumbling around under the hood at $80 an hour.

Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
Re: Idle surge #118172
November 09, 2005 10:54 pm UTC
November 09, 2005 10:54 pm UTC
Oakville, ON
Nigel Smith Offline
Insane Member
Nigel Smith  Offline
Insane Member
Oakville, ON
Stop spending 1500 bucks on a timing belt job first off....
In terms of the idle surge, the problem has been discuessed 100,000times, the answers are all out there. Like Rob said these cars arent for the faint of heart, but every problem imagineable has been discuessed 100+ times, all you needa do is find it.

Past
1992 Tsi AWD
1992 Tsi 14.30@100 Stock w/ MAF-T
1992 Tsi AWD 13.03@105 1.71 60'
1991 Tsi AWD
Re: Idle surge #118173
November 11, 2005 05:55 pm UTC
November 11, 2005 05:55 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for some of the valuable advice. AJ and I have the same car, perhaps if you conclusively discover the problem and solution, you could let me know, that would be great. Unfortunately my toolkit is all filled with high tech bicycle and outdoor gear specialty tools, (my hobby). I love my car since day 1 as excellent, comfortable, fun, and (relatively) reliable transportation. I totally respect all you guys that do this as your hobby, but the last thing I can devote time, money and energy to is a new hobby, so I definetely appreciate any advice possible. (The 1500$ was more than just the timing belt change - even I am not that much of a sucker - haha). The car is definitely going to be up for sale - the question was; when. Been well maintained, (by pro's not a mucker like me), and treated well in Manitoba. I love it and hate to part with it which is why I kept it so long. Perhaps there are some Talon enthusiasts in the Ottawa area who might be interested???

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Idle surge #118174
November 12, 2005 01:16 am UTC
November 12, 2005 01:16 am UTC
Woodbridge
T
Tonino Mazzotta Offline
Tonino Mazzotta  Offline
T
Woodbridge
I had this same problem a few years ago on my 1992 Talon's throttle body. All I needed was a $3.00 screw from the Dealership (MD614948), and a $20.00 rubber cap to cover that screw (MD614532). The screw is used to adjust air flow. Hope this helps.

1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD TURBO -Traded in \:\(