July 15, 2006 02:45 pm UTC
July 15, 2006 02:45 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have a stock 91 TSI Turbo Talon FWD auto tranny with 230 K's. Engine still runs smooth as silk, but compression test/leak test shows rings need replacing and valve seals are probably shot. Blows...no billows is a better discription...smoke at idle periodically; mostly once things get a little hot. Turbo has only 30 K's on it.

Any ways, time for an engine overhaul but wondering if I should fork out the $2500 for a rebuild or for a JDM engine swap? I have read that JDM engines can be a tad risky or can be perfect, whereas a rebuilt engine you are dealing with what you know and are pretty much replacing all the components with new.

Speaking of which, anyone know of a good engine rebuild mechanic in Kingston/Bellevile area?

As well, I read from DSM that the engine with the auto tranny has smaller turbo, larger valves and different ECU settings to give it more low rpm torque, and since all JDM engines I can find are of the kind that went on the AWD manual tranny, is this going to be more complicated if I get one and try and stick it on my auto tranny?

Will the ECU have problems? I notice most JDMs are the Cyclone version and have the added butterfly valves which the ECU's can't handle either.

Every JDM shop I asked this question too, seems to have no answer...i.e. they are no help and with a 25% restocking fee and shipping it would be an expensive trial and error.

JDM referrals?

Unfortunately I use the car as a daily driver so I can't have it out of commission for too long or I would simply rebuild the old engine myself.

Re: JDM or Rebuild #121659
July 15, 2006 04:13 pm UTC
July 15, 2006 04:13 pm UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
you could swap a JDM engine, but reuse your own injectors to have no problem.

You will end up with a bit more powerful engine due to bigger turbo. or you could use an ECU off a manual car and use the JDM injectors that are 450.

If you are doing the work yourself which is pretty easy, JDM could save you 1K and if it is bad, you could just take it out and ask them for a new one.

I have had good experience with JDM but some have had bad experiences.

You should also use your own intake. just undo the intake and bolt it on the new engine. all good! wink

to the cost of the engine, JDM engine that is, you should add stuff like timing belt too.

Re: JDM or Rebuild #121660
July 15, 2006 06:10 pm UTC
July 15, 2006 06:10 pm UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Ryan Laliberte Offline

No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Ryan Laliberte  Offline

No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Belleville, Ontario
If you can, build another engine on the side. Ghislain Goudreau has a 6 bolt auto out of the same car. You could build another engine on the side and when you are ready, drop it in. Drive that one until it dies. That way, your car is still running and you aren't pressed to get another one in ASAP. If you can afford to buy a new one/get yours rebuilt, then you can afford to build one on the side.

You don't have to do it all at once, but slowly, you could build a solid engine with Wiseco's, Giz's engine has the 6 bolt big rods, do some head work, balance it, etc... and that engine will last you a while.

Just my thoughts;

Ryan

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth
RTMRacing - Your Canadian source for DSM Parts

"Every moment you live is pregnant with the next moment of your life" --Jim Carrey

Last Login: September 28, 2021