March 03, 2006 11:34 pm UTC
Toronto
Jason Suen Offline OP
Serious Member
Jason Suen  Offline OP
Serious Member
Toronto
Originally posted by Ziggy Dietrich:
That may be an insurance guideline, but the police will always charge the car in the rear in a rear end collision. We have "no fault" insurance here. A big part of the reason we HAVE traffic jams is morons driving in the left. Think about it, if everyone stayed out of that lane except to pass, how would that lane EVER come to a complete stop??
So, on a highway during rush hour, with the sheer volume of cars, you propose that everyone stick on the right 1 or 2 lanes, thus making it difficult for people to merge onto the traffic as well. There is a reason for the 401 for being that wide. This stick to the right thing is nonsense during rush hour. Look at the new carpool lanes on the 404 and 403. Traffic jams are still here. Those carpool lanes forced more cars to "stick right", but did it do anything during rush hour? no.

Re: 2G Idiot @ Don Mills and Eglinton area #138811
March 03, 2006 11:47 pm UTC
March 03, 2006 11:47 pm UTC
Toronto
R
Robert Dike Offline
Serious Member
Robert Dike  Offline
Serious Member
R
Toronto
Troy, I posted the link to the insurance guidelines. But do not mistake these for the Highway Traffic Act, they are two entirely different beast. A police investigation may determine Driver A is at fault and the Insurance companies may determine it is Driver B.

Ziggy is correct that there is no FastLane or SlowLane. The right hand lane is the driving lane, cut and dried. People should keep right but they don't, hell, they even seem to be afraid of it for some reason. On the 404 (off peak hours), the right hand lane is often the driving lane and passing lane.

The problem isn't really that police don't enforce the "keep right except to pass" rule. There isn't very much enforcement on the major highways period. And when they do, it is mostly just for speeding because it is easy to make that charge, and it justifies the expenditure on their fancy radar/laser guns. While the focus is on speeding, by far the most dangerous violation is tailgating. Left lane banditry barely rates as an afterthought.

Re: 2G Idiot @ Don Mills and Eglinton area #138812
March 04, 2006 01:19 am UTC
March 04, 2006 01:19 am UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Keep changing in and out will keep you sharp and awake....and when someone comes up behind you faster, you will notice ...
And the whole reason the "stick right" rule doesn't work, is because everyone ignores it, and the police don't enforce it. In Germany on the Autobahn they have hundreds of times our traffic volumes, and although they DO have tie ups, they are generally not as bad as ours....because people follow the rules!

"bluebird" worlds fastest scooter ridden by me
"Whitebird" RIP
Re: 2G Idiot @ Don Mills and Eglinton area #138813
March 04, 2006 01:56 am UTC
March 04, 2006 01:56 am UTC
Toronto
Jason Suen Offline OP
Serious Member
Jason Suen  Offline OP
Serious Member
Toronto
Ok, from now on, even if I drive 200km/h I will stay to the right. The law is the law. Another thing.... the Autobahn has no speed limit, people are expected to drive as fast as they want (it is at least not a law). We don't live in Germany.

Re: 2G Idiot @ Don Mills and Eglinton area #138814
March 04, 2006 03:49 am UTC
March 04, 2006 03:49 am UTC
Hamilton
B
Brandi Kendall Offline
Brandi Kendall  Offline
B
Hamilton
We don't live in Germany, but they have less "tie ups"
Maybe the cops should just get off their butts and enforce some laws on the highways. A cop doing his job instead of harassing innocent people, ya think?

Re: 2G Idiot @ Don Mills and Eglinton area #138815
March 04, 2006 02:10 pm UTC
March 04, 2006 02:10 pm UTC
Nova Scotia
T
Troy Bennett Offline
Serious Member
Troy Bennett  Offline
Serious Member
T
Nova Scotia
Well here in Nova Scotia there is no law stating you have to drive in the right lane unless its posted.(keep right except to pass) Its like the speed limet. If there is no signs then the limet is automatically 80KPH.
The only places I see the Keep right except to pass here is when you reach a passing lane (usually on an up hill where trucks get slowed down). Other then that if your on a twined highway (which there really isint that many in Nova Scotia) then you can drive in either lane you choose. But if someone comes up behind you in the laft lane then its your obligation to move to the right to allow him to pass.
Laws are different in every province. We dont have no fault insurance or accidents here. Although the investigating officer of an accident can say it was 50/50. Then its basically the same as no fault!

Everythings new. Updates will be soon.
Re: 2G Idiot @ Don Mills and Eglinton area #138816
March 06, 2006 02:05 pm UTC
March 06, 2006 02:05 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
*Chuckle* Wrongo, Troy. I had a driving instructor say that EXACT same thing to me a few years back about the twinned highways. I called him on it, and I was right. There usually ARE signs (although they're so few, noone notices them) and that's what the traffic act says. In a city, where the speed limit is less than 100, it doesn't matter.

In fact, that's a cause of conflict here. Because when you come to the END of the two land and merge back to one, the car on the right has the Right-Of-Way (makes sense). In New Brunswick, the car on the LEFT has the Right-Of-Way. (:

Yeah I'm always in the right lane, Jason, no matter how fast I went. Of course, if you're going 200 with the cops after you, they might not care which lane you're in. (:

And why the 'Keep Right' rule doesn't work on the 401 is because, when a car is speeding up to merge onto the highway, passing traffic should make a spot for them by slowing down, speeding up, or moving over a lane. I do this all the time, and sometimes by slowing down you actually speed up the overall traffic flow.

But how many people are aware enough to do that? Like I keep saying, most people SHOULDN'T be driving. They have such tough restrictions on pilots, who have the whole sky to play with, and seldom ever get closer than a mile to other planes. But drivers, who whiz HEAD ON with other drivers at 200kph closing speeds in heavy surrounding traffic, can find a license in every cereal box...

Re: 2G Idiot @ Don Mills and Eglinton area #138817
March 06, 2006 05:40 pm UTC
March 06, 2006 05:40 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I think you hit the nail on the head in your last paragraph. 90% of the drivers on our roads shouldn't have a license!

"bluebird" worlds fastest scooter ridden by me
"Whitebird" RIP
Re: 2G Idiot @ Don Mills and Eglinton area #138818
March 06, 2006 09:52 pm UTC
March 06, 2006 09:52 pm UTC
Nova Scotia
T
Troy Bennett Offline
Serious Member
Troy Bennett  Offline
Serious Member
T
Nova Scotia
Well Troy, I just went to court about this, and I had to fight the fact that I was going 80 in a zone a police officer said was a 70. He agreed that I was going 80. And when I proved that there was no signs then I was free to go. Because the law states that if there are no signs posted for speed, then its automatically 80KPH unless in a school zone.
I assume thats what you were sayin I was wrong about!

Re: 2G Idiot @ Don Mills and Eglinton area #138819
March 07, 2006 07:58 pm UTC
March 07, 2006 07:58 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
Nope. You're right on that one, and I'm not surprised the cop had no idea. (:

It was about not having to keep right on a twinned highway...

Re: 2G Idiot @ Don Mills and Eglinton area #138820
March 07, 2006 09:02 pm UTC
March 07, 2006 09:02 pm UTC
Nova Scotia
T
Troy Bennett Offline
Serious Member
Troy Bennett  Offline
Serious Member
T
Nova Scotia
Yeah, its crazy what the police dont know around here.
And you dont have to keep right on a twined highway here! Unless stated or someones trying to pass.

Re: 2G Idiot @ Don Mills and Eglinton area #138821
March 08, 2006 12:36 pm UTC
March 08, 2006 12:36 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
Yep. Look it up. Like I said, the signs on the twinned highways are almost non-existant, but the rule is there.

Otherwise, what's to stop Granny from driving 60 in the left lane, pacing Grandpa driving 60.1 in the right? (:

Page 2 of 2 1 2