Sean Demoe Offline
Serious Member
Sean Demoe  Offline
Serious Member
S
Mississauga
Originally Posted by kendall Brown
Originally Posted by Sean Demoe
Street racing is dumb when both guys are going from 0-200 on a road that has other cars around. If you are on a road like trafalger and dundas at night like Harry was and there are no other cars in sight and you are able to drive your car to half its top speed without losing control then by all means. I have had tons of races with fast cars but I shut it down before I am breaking the law to much. I have also never had a speeding ticket, because I dont constantly drive like an idiot racing at every light like these kids who are killing everyone with dumb street racing accidents.

Street racing is dumb period, so you dont break the law too much just a little, and you dont constantly drive like an idiot just a little? and YOU can decide when its safe to race on a public street ? late at night on a clear road you cannot predict what going to happen whos gonna pull out, what animal is gonna run out.
It happens and if you ever have to notify a family of an accident or clean up the aftermath of an accident that was completely avoidable you may see the zero tolerance side of things
Kendall

So I guess you have never broken a law while driving? never gone over the speed limit? thats breaking the law just a little bit to isnt it? Whats the point in even having a section for this type of thing if aprantly everyone on this board has never raced before? I was simply stating the fact that I am not going to say that I have never street raced because I have, I dont go looking for races and I never go to fast for the driving situation I am in.

You can ask anyone who has been on this board longer then you that this section had probably 80 percent more traffic then it does now. I think that is a good thing and that street racing has been cracked down on but lighten up a little there never was never comments like this made to the people that posted way more dangerous races on here before ( racing until 240 km/h and such). Lets just drop it, I believe dsmers in general are good drivers and are not the drivers who you usually see on the news but most of us wont turn down a stoplight race with a car such as a lambo.

Last edited by Sean Demoe; April 18, 2007 02:57 am UTC.
Re: Lambo [Re: Sean Demoe] #228599
April 18, 2007 12:20 pm UTC
April 18, 2007 12:20 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
Exactly. Where do you draw the line, Kendall? Some people say that modding cars is 'dumb, period'. Why do you need to go any faster than you do now? Some would say that any car capable of speeds over 80km/hr should be outlawed. And so on, and so on... Theoretically, until we all sit in computer-controlled boxes moving at 30km/hr, we won't be safe... smile

And it can be called 'stereotype', but I call it '7 times out of 10'. I used the 'Rikky Racer' analogy because MOST of these type kids have the money, the 'modz', the 'tude, and the look... But they can't drive to save their lives, and usually TAKE someone elses. Of course, I know some clean-cut guys that are the same way... (You reading this, Kris? smile )

That's why the crackdowns have to be global, unfortunately. If they could seperate the capable drivers from the bad ones, there's no way they could actually tell that on the street.

Re: Lambo [Re: Troy Jollimore] #228646
April 18, 2007 10:44 pm UTC
April 18, 2007 10:44 pm UTC
Halton
K
kendall Brown Offline
Newbie on Probation
kendall Brown  Offline
Newbie on Probation
K
Halton
Originally Posted by Troy Jollimore
Exactly. Where do you draw the line, Kendall? Some people say that modding cars is 'dumb, period'. Why do you need to go any faster than you do now? Some would say that any car capable of speeds over 80km/hr should be outlawed. And so on, and so on... Theoretically, until we all sit in computer-controlled boxes moving at 30km/hr, we won't be safe... smile

And it can be called 'stereotype', but I call it '7 times out of 10'. I used the 'Rikky Racer' analogy because MOST of these type kids have the money, the 'modz', the 'tude, and the look... But they can't drive to save their lives, and usually TAKE someone elses. Of course, I know some clean-cut guys that are the same way... (You reading this, Kris? smile )

That's why the crackdowns have to be global, unfortunately. If they could seperate the capable drivers from the bad ones, there's no way they could actually tell that on the street.

my comments were directed soley towards those who were openly admitting to street racing, i have no problem with modded cars i have one myself, and i have no problem with building a vehicle to go faster, i also said nothing about stereotypes? nor am i stereotyping as my only comments were directed to those on here who said they street race, i dont care if your racing a mini van or a riced out civic or a lambo or a dsm, you can do whatever you want to your vehicles but nobody has the right to put other peoples lives at risk by racing on public streets.

Re: Lambo [Re: kendall Brown] #228703
April 19, 2007 01:24 pm UTC
April 19, 2007 01:24 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
The Stereotype thing was a general comment aimed at an earlier reply.

But that's the thing, Kendall. Why spend the money to mod the car when you're not going to use the extra power? You're ONLY going to drive it fast on the track? Yeah, right.

I remember the lawyer for Chrysler's comment about my stock Talon,

"You bought a powerful sports car...and you race it all the time don't you? You wouldn't have a car that fast if you weren't abusing it at speeds higher than 160 all the time, would you?"

"No, sir. I do that on occasion, but usually drive around the speed limits."

"Yeah, right. Sure you do." *Rolls eyes at judge*

But you have to admit, 7 times out of 10, it fits. That's why I bought a 4 door Passat this time around. Why get a sports car if you're going to be persecuted for using it, or even having it?

Re: Lambo [Re: Troy Jollimore] #228709
April 19, 2007 01:58 pm UTC
April 19, 2007 01:58 pm UTC
Loc: Loc:
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Loc: Loc:
^^^
You make it sound like there's no fun to be had below the speed limit... I guess that's a side-effect of being out of DSMs for so long smile We'll call it "acceleration withdrawl syndrome" wink

In my opinion, there's a huge difference between "street racing" and simply driving fast or accelerating quickly.
If I read into it properly, I think Kendall was only commenting on "street racing", where you have two cars side by side whose only real concern is being ahead of the competition.

So yes, you can draw a line.
Keep the "racing" at the track, and if you're going fast on the street, you had better make safety your first concern.

Re: Lambo [Re: Rob Strelecki] #228826
April 20, 2007 12:01 am UTC
April 20, 2007 12:01 am UTC
Halton
K
kendall Brown Offline
Newbie on Probation
kendall Brown  Offline
Newbie on Probation
K
Halton
Originally Posted by Rob Strelecki
^^^
You make it sound like there's no fun to be had below the speed limit... I guess that's a side-effect of being out of DSMs for so long smile We'll call it "acceleration withdrawl syndrome" wink

In my opinion, there's a huge difference between "street racing" and simply driving fast or accelerating quickly.
If I read into it properly, I think Kendall was only commenting on "street racing", where you have two cars side by side whose only real concern is being ahead of the competition.

So yes, you can draw a line.
Keep the "racing" at the track, and if you're going fast on the street, you had better make safety your first concern.

exactly,

Re: Lambo [Re: kendall Brown] #228890
April 20, 2007 01:41 pm UTC
April 20, 2007 01:41 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
I guess that part I missed. Even when someone tried running against me, safety was ALWAYS my first concern. I have no ego to bruise. smile Like I said, I stopped after I saw the stupidity others would practice AFTER I HAD BOWED OUT. It only encourages them. frown

The trouble is that cops may be all to quick to equate 'driving fast' or 'accelerating quickly' (I think accelerating 'furiously' is an actual offense) with 'street racing'. I've seen people pulled over for accelerating too quickly before, even though it usually never went to court.

This Passat isn't bad, but it merely pulls the tires since it's not AWD. Once I get the chip in it'll be even worse, and then it'll only be as powerful as a stock DSM... frown

Re: Lambo [Re: Troy Jollimore] #233273
June 05, 2007 12:11 am UTC
June 05, 2007 12:11 am UTC
Barrie
R
Ryan Smythe Offline
Ryan Smythe  Offline
R
Barrie
As a side note the majority of people who get busted for street racing are older than me. Only because they have enough money to pay to go fast so dont blame it all on kids. I know of 4 guys older than me by 7 year at least who have all been nailed for racing. I dont race cause I have a shitty cav right now( which I'm trying to change)

Re: Lambo [Re: Ryan Smythe] #233285
June 05, 2007 01:54 am UTC
June 05, 2007 01:54 am UTC
Misissauga
D
Daniel Jones Offline
Daniel Jones  Offline
D
Misissauga
Holy baby jebus this thread is still alive?

Give it up, street racing is one of the stupidest things you can do.

And honestly if your getting your kicks below the speed limit?? than put the training wheels back on your bike and call it a day tongue

Re: Lambo [Re: Daniel Jones] #233300
June 05, 2007 11:47 am UTC
June 05, 2007 11:47 am UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
Again... Dan, I'd quit while I was ahead if I were you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2