J
Jeff Mitchell Offline

Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Jeff Mitchell  Offline

J
Mississauga, Ontario
Originally posted by Amin Ahmadi:
For example it has better performance in snow.
Huh? confused

Re: FWDvsAWD #143259
March 17, 2003 12:46 am UTC
March 17, 2003 12:46 am UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
a front engine FWD car vs. Front engine RWD has more traction in snow. Hopefully nobody wants to question this one!

Re: FWDvsAWD #143260
March 17, 2003 01:12 am UTC
March 17, 2003 01:12 am UTC
Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Steve Kinnaird Offline

Steve Kinnaird  Offline

Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Sure.. but I believe the title of the thread is FWD vs AWD.. not FWD vs RWD..

Now, I'll have all kinds of time to talk about DSMs, because I won't be busy fixing mine!
Re: FWDvsAWD #143261
March 17, 2003 02:34 am UTC
March 17, 2003 02:34 am UTC
London, ON
Dennis Wong Offline

Serious Member
Dennis Wong  Offline

Serious Member
London, ON
There is no question, FWD just plain sucks. With all the fancy gadgetry on new cars these days such as traction control and stability management, I'd take a RWD car with snows as long as it has limited slip, over a FWD car with snows w/o limited slip any day. Lets see, with FWD, start to accelerate, weight transfers away from the drive wheels, and you sit there spinning one wheel with absolutely no traction. On the 300+ days when there is snow on the roads, you are stuck with a front driving POS. Why is it that we're seeing a lot of new cars coming in RWD platforms? Whenever I tell anyone about how much I love AWD, I always get the same response. "Do we get enough snow here that you actually need AWD?". Why was Quattro banned from racing at one point? Is it because they race in the snow?

DSMless...but you'll never get rid of me!
Re: FWDvsAWD #143262
March 17, 2003 02:38 am UTC
March 17, 2003 02:38 am UTC
Toronto
Ronnie Fung Offline
Serious Member
Ronnie Fung  Offline
Serious Member
Toronto
FWD is ghetto. It always has been. Would I take a FWD DSM over a AWD DSM? Yes.

I'm talking from a 1G point of view here, a poor student one at that. Say I have $7500 to play with for the year as a car budget Inclusing price of car.

I buy an AWD DSM in good shape, I spend most of the money on the car itself. I do all maintenance and such if it has not been done. Add on prevenentative maintenance and I have little left for mods. Maybe enoguh for a MBC, K and N, and maybe a Catback. How fast am I after that? Not very fast if you ask me. How often do I get to drive to the cars limits? Not very often. How often do I drive in snow? How often do I launch it? MY point is, how often do I really need or want AWD?

Now...I buy a FWD, much cheaper, have much more money for mods left over. Good set of rubber, some carefully selected suspension pieces, loads more money for mods to rip it up on the highway. How often do I need to save gas? How often do I launch? How much cehaper is it to maintain a FWD? How much I rip it up on the highway merging or having thrills. My minimal mods on a FWD would kill a more moderatly modded AWD DSM. On the highway, on a roll, in a true 1/4 mile race too, provided I can drive the car properly.

This is personal. If I am poor, I will take a FWD to boot around town over an AWD to boot around. If I am building an all out performance machine with more money involved, I will build an AWD (provided I can only choose between FWD and AWD. It's simple.

AWD to go fast equals more money than a FWD to go fast. As for handling, I still maintain that with with minimal mods, I can and do corner harder in a FWD DSM than an AWD DSM. That's just me though. If I had more mods, maybe it would be different. I can not throttle steer with a DSM without enough mods, (I can't do it in a FWD either) but I find myslef wanting to in an AWD, but it just doens't have enough. I drive the cars completely differnt, maybe I just need to learn how to drive an AWD in the corners, because I would kill my AWD in any onramp. (unless it's snowing or raining)

Bear in mind, I am only comparing DSM's here. Not other manufacturers or models. FWD and AWD DSM's.

RWD is a true sports car.

-1986 Bastardized Mazda RX7
-2000 CBR 929RR (Street)
-2003 CBR 600RR (Track)
-2000 Chevrolet Xtreme
Re: FWDvsAWD #143263
March 17, 2003 02:43 am UTC
March 17, 2003 02:43 am UTC
Mississauga, ON
R
Rafal Kraskiewicz Offline
Serious Member
Rafal Kraskiewicz  Offline
Serious Member
R
Mississauga, ON
Well, to throw another wrench in, some prefer RWD in the snow. Because your drive wheels are indepedant of your steering wheels, the RWD gives you more control (not traction) in the white stuff.

What happens when the drive wheels lose grip in a FWD? You lose the ability to steer as well.. and (usually) you understeer and plow into the curb. Not so with RWD, you can even use the throttle to help you turn.

So basically, it all comes down to preference and ability.

'97 Cherokee
'92 Talon TSi AWD
Re: FWDvsAWD #143264
March 17, 2003 03:30 am UTC
March 17, 2003 03:30 am UTC
Thornhill
J
Jeff Feldsher Offline
Jeff Feldsher  Offline
J
Thornhill
Yeah definitely from a value standpoint FWD simply dominates. Sure if we all had thousands of dollars to blow we would be getting our cars of choice.

But given the choices some of us do have, we purchase what makes the most sense for what we want, and what we can afford.

90 TSi FWD
BPU+
Re: FWDvsAWD #143265
March 17, 2003 04:11 am UTC
March 17, 2003 04:11 am UTC
London, ON
Dennis Wong Offline

Serious Member
Dennis Wong  Offline

Serious Member
London, ON
I can and do corner harder in a FWD DSM than an AWD DSM
Now this I don't understand. In a hard corner, most of the weight is on the front outside tire. When you get on the throttle, some of the weight will be transferred to the rear, and your inside front tire will start spinning, and if you are hard on the throttle, most of the torque will be transferred to that tire. With AWD, it doesn't really matter. That's why you can get back on the throttle early with AWD cars. Once again, FWD becomes useless. Can you tell by now that I really despise FWD? wink

DSMless...but you'll never get rid of me!
Re: FWDvsAWD #143266
March 17, 2003 04:53 am UTC
March 17, 2003 04:53 am UTC
Toronto
Ronnie Fung Offline
Serious Member
Ronnie Fung  Offline
Serious Member
Toronto
Originally posted by Dennis Wong:
I can and do corner harder in a FWD DSM than an AWD DSM
Now this I don't understand. In a hard corner, most of the weight is on the front outside tire. When you get on the throttle, some of the weight will be transferred to the rear, and your inside front tire will start spinning, and if you are hard on the throttle, most of the torque will be transferred to that tire. With AWD, it doesn't really matter. That's why you can get back on the throttle early with AWD cars. Once again, FWD becomes useless. Can you tell by now that I really despise FWD? wink
It's called lift throttle. freak It ends up plowing the whole time, lift throttle technique does not work. Trail braking is sketchy, I ahve never had enough power for a CONTROLLED power oversteer in a DSM on dry ground.

-2000 CBR 929RR (Street)
-2003 CBR 600RR (Track)
-2000 Chevrolet Xtreme
Re: FWDvsAWD #143267
March 17, 2003 06:10 am UTC
March 17, 2003 06:10 am UTC
Mississauga, Ont
Jerry Rose Offline
Insane Member
Jerry Rose  Offline
Insane Member
Mississauga, Ont
Quotes from Tommy and Bobby Archer on racing AWD
Talons
"And the entry into a corner is quicker than I believe everybody that we're racing against," Bobby continues. "And where there's a series of tight S corners, a series of rights and lefts, we're quicker in there. It's because of the AWD the car responds quicker. There's corner 8-9 at Mosport, and we can literally drive through that where other people were either on or off the gas. You can really catch people there.

"Tommy and I started racing low-powered cars, and we've always had to be more aggressive in the corners. It [the all-wheel-drive Talon] allows us to be even more aggressive, especially in an endur-ance race. With the Talon, you just drive the car into the off-limits zone and drive through it with all the confidence in the world."……adds Tommy, "because of the capabilities of holding the road, tends to let you go farther into the corner even without you knowing that you're doing it. That was the one thing I noticed right away.

Also, like at Lime Rock, a front-wheel-drive car would go up the hill and probably change lanes without turning the steering wheel, because you're going through a bump-steer mode. The car goes all the way to the top of the suspen-sion and back down. With this car [AWD], you just keep your foot to the floor."

The added stability of all-wheel-drive also has a payoff in safety, which means life and limb, and the side benefit of keeping the car in the running when otherwise it might be out for good. "At Nelson Ledges, in the rain, we were using basically slick tires, and one of the guys slid off into the grass. Usually in a race car if you drive off into the wet grass ... well, you pick up speed! But he pulled it right out."

Tommy got a little closer to the action talking about his own experience, he says, "You slide off even in wet weather, and you can accelerate back to the track. Whereas in most cars you just try make it back to the track, with this car you accelerate back to the track."

"On the race track the Talon drives like a like a front wheel drive car - a superior front wheel drive car. You use the throttle a lot, very similiar to a front wheel driver" (this is due to the 50/50 torque split in case you werent sure tongue a fact my race instructor at Shannonville clued me in on ....the Audi Quattros ran a 30/70 rear split for more of RWD characteristics)

With an even torque split, all else being equal the front end does most of the work during corner-ing, since it usually carries most of the weight entering a turn. (Deceleration shifts the weight forward, which is necessary for big contact patches on the steered wheels.) If the car is designed with more torque going to the rear, then even under severe deceleration the lightly loaded rear drive wheels will still be doing their share. In fact, it is hoped that they're capable of doing more than their share; that way, by proper application of the gas pedal, the driver can induce throttle steer at will.

For example, normally entering a right-handed corner you would try to do your braking before you got to the corner, then tend to get on the throttle and get the car set up right. You continue to depress the gas pedal, and if it doesn't want to turn, you can usually let off a little bit and induce it.

Of course, there are things the all-wheel-drive car can do that a front-drive car can't. Bobby con-tinues, "Perfect case in point comparing it with a front-wheel-drive car: You go into a corner too deep and the inexperienced driver backs out of the throttle big time. Well, [with front-wheel-drive ] the front end stops and the back end keeps going, and you spin around. This car does not have that ten-dency. You let out of the throttle and it tends to steer in the direction that it was going. We have not spun one out yet, and we've run a whole bunch of racetracks and, I think, about eight different drivers."

Tommy Archer says, "In a rear-wheel-drive car, when you take off and accelerate hard, the back end will slide. [With a] front-wheel-drive car, you normally get torque steer. With all-wheel-drive it basically makes it so you can drive the car with one hand. The car is simply smooth. My first impression of it was at Sears Point Raceway, which is one of the hardest tracks in the country, and I drove all the way from Turn 11 to Turn 4 with one hand on the wheel, the other hand talking on the radio.

Pic of Archer brothers showing a saleen mustang how its done

Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
Re: FWDvsAWD #143268
March 17, 2003 04:09 pm UTC
March 17, 2003 04:09 pm UTC
Niagara Falls Ontario
Vince Amato Offline
Vince Amato  Offline
Niagara Falls Ontario
Originally posted by Jeremy Chin:
[QB]and Vince...go ahead and continue to live in that little cave you call a "DSM". Sooner or later you will see the light.
Are you forgetting where you are Jeremy? This is a DSM board so 99.9% of the people here own and drive DSM's. This is the house of the DSM, you are in our house! If you consider it to be a cave you can go find some place else to post your drivel. Like I said, I think you would fit in real well with the Honda crowd,especialy with that "I am the best driver on this board attitude.". :rolleyes:

Maybe I am not the driver for a 12 year old car you call a DSM that does nothing well other than going fast in a straight line, good snow traction and gas drinker.
Again, get a honda if you dislike the DSM so much and want fuel economy.

91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 13.2 @ 105mph SOLD

http://1000q.dsm.org/
Re: FWDvsAWD #143269
March 17, 2003 05:11 pm UTC
March 17, 2003 05:11 pm UTC
Toronto
Ronnie Fung Offline
Serious Member
Ronnie Fung  Offline
Serious Member
Toronto
Originally posted by Jerry Rose:
Quotes from Tommy and Bobby Archer on racing AWD
Talons
[QUOTE]"And the entry into a corner is quicker than I believe everybody that we're racing against," Bobby continues. "And where there's a series of tight S corners, a series of rights and lefts, we're quicker in there. It's because of the AWD the car responds quicker. There's corner 8-9 at Mosport, and we can literally drive through that where other people were either on or off the gas. You can really catch people there.

If I get another AWD DSM, maybe I should try that instead? Drive it like a FF? It just doens't feel right to me though. Maybe I need to work on the set up for it. confused

-2000 CBR 929RR (Street)
-2003 CBR 600RR (Track)
-2000 Chevrolet Xtreme
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3