November 20, 2005 07:50 pm UTC
November 20, 2005 07:50 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I
Ihton Frederick Offline OP
Ihton Frederick  Offline OP
I
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I have a 93 FWD 2.0 Non-turbo Laser RS with auto tranny.
Problem wit my tranny is this, works fine in reverse, put it in drive and there is a slight delay before the gears engage. Put your foot down and the car drives like a real turd... no power what-so-ever! The engine is fine and I even checked my cat for blockage so I pretty sure it is a problem with the tranny. Has anyone had or solved this problem?

The car has an F4A22 and I got a KM175 to replace with. On one of the site pages it shows that these trannys are used on this model. I see some differences. Everything else appears to be similar except the following:
1. The sensor in the end clutch (F4A22) is in a different location on the KM175.
2. The gear selector switch is different.
3. On the front of the trannys (facing the radiator), on the FA there is a 2 wire connector, on the KM there is a 3 wire grommett with a triangular shaped connector.
4. I removed the end clutch cover to see if I can swap them. Upon inspection of the clutch assembly and cover, I noticed the shaft and bearings are larger on the KM.

My Question is: It does'nt seem that I can use the KM as a replacement for the FA. How can I make the KM work? Or can I?

Thanx.

None
Re: Compatability #153606
November 20, 2005 07:54 pm UTC
November 20, 2005 07:54 pm UTC
Waterloo, ON
T
Tim Brown Offline
Tim Brown  Offline
T
Waterloo, ON
Ask John at IPT Transmissions he is god when it comes to stuff like this. www.ipttrans.com

Re: Compatability #153607
November 22, 2005 05:40 am UTC
November 22, 2005 05:40 am UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
are the connectors the same?

do you have the TCU for the target tranmission?!

Re: Compatability #153608
November 23, 2005 12:32 pm UTC
November 23, 2005 12:32 pm UTC
Trenton, On, Canada.
Ghislain Goudreau Offline

Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Ghislain Goudreau  Offline

Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Trenton, On, Canada.
Hello.

From what you are describing the Tranny stays in 3rd Gear; "Limp Mode".

Check to make sure that all of the Connectors are pluged properly. I once crossed two of the 4 Pins Connectors. Needless to say it did not work.

Another posibility would be that you need to use the KM TCU. I'm not sure at all about this one but again it "might be" the cause.

Ghislain.

Rouge!!!
Re: Compatability #153609
December 03, 2005 02:21 pm UTC
December 03, 2005 02:21 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I
Ihton Frederick Offline OP
Ihton Frederick  Offline OP
I
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Update: I took the FA out sent it to my tranny guy. He pulled it apart and said he didnt see anything that would cause those symptoms. He did not check my solonoids. I will do that when I put the tranny back into the car.

hey Tim
I sent your guy an email... he never replied.

hey Amin
some of the connectors are different and also the KM has more wires than the FA. The only TCU I have is the one that came with the car for the FA. So I cant use the KM.

hey Ghislain
I will look into the wire being crossed. I never thought of that.
I had my scan tool connected while driving it and it seemed to be shifting gears. However, my tranny guy was saying eventhough the scan tool shows the gears being changed... may only be a request and not the actual gears changing.

Thank you guys for your suggestions/experience/knowledge/great help!

None