April 19, 2000 04:43 am UTC
Edmonton, Alberta
D
Darin Chalifoux Offline OP
Darin Chalifoux  Offline OP
D
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey All!

I jsut got my hands on an Old Style AFC, and am having some nasty probs with it.

I set it up exactly as the manual said to do it... only thing that was a teeny bit unclear was the MAF hookup wiring... I put the yellow wire closest to the ECU and the white wire furthest away.

I also followed the DIP switch settings and set the airflow meter to "0" like it stated.

The damn thing wouldn't idle for anyhting, and immediately it kicked a faulty MAF error code.

SO I did some research ont the main digest, and one guy that I mailed told me that her heard that you had to reverse the dip switches. So I treid that out. Now I can get the car to idle, but it stumbles badly and kicks codes as soon as you step on the gas...I can get it to idle by leaving it at zero on the 800 rpm scale. Richen it up, and it stalls, and lean it out, it kicks the knock LED on and kicks a faulty MAF code again...

I realise this may just be tuning, etc, but I'm still wondering if those damn dip switches are in the right orientation. Could anyone possibly help me out on this?

Also, another thing that would be greatly helpful is some basic guidelines as to where I should start with the settings.

BTW I have 550's installed as well...

Damn, this is driving me nuts.

------------------
Darin Chalifoux
92 Laser AWD
"Fat guys can drive, too!"
Edmonton

http://www.cadvision.com/whitecd/CADSM/darin.html

1992 Talon AWD Auto
1993 Dodge Colt
1997 Ram 1500 4x4 360cid
Re: Old Style AFC? #168933
April 20, 2000 04:12 am UTC
April 20, 2000 04:12 am UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Darin,

I also just installed an old style AFC. Are you 1G or 2G DSM?

I was worried that I did it wrong as well, but lucky for me things seem to be working fine.

Yellow (AF Output) IS closet to the ECU and White (AF Input) is furthest.

I am only running the stock injectors so my settings will not be the same as yours, but... I was told that the idle would probably be the only thing that I should lean out. The rest are richer by approx 6 % to 8 %. I am not sure if this is optimal, but my AF gauge is fine and I get no error codes.

Check your connections again. I got the "CE" light too when I first started the car, but after rechecking the connections and tightening them, the CE problem went away.

Email me if you want to ask for other info.

Joe

Re: Old Style AFC? #168934
April 20, 2000 07:32 pm UTC
April 20, 2000 07:32 pm UTC
Edmonton, Alberta
D
Darin Chalifoux Offline OP
Darin Chalifoux  Offline OP
D
Edmonton, Alberta
My cars a 92 AWD.

Did you do the switches exaclty like the manual? so...

DOWN DOWN UP UP UP DOWN UP DOWN?

I'm now wondering if my hacked MAF might have anyhting to do with it.

Piss me off... :-)

------------------
Darin Chalifoux
92 Laser AWD
"Fat guys can drive, too!"
Edmonton

http://www.cadvision.com/whitecd/CADSM/darin.html

1992 Talon AWD Auto
1993 Dodge Colt
1997 Ram 1500 4x4 360cid
Re: Old Style AFC? #168935
April 21, 2000 04:22 am UTC
April 21, 2000 04:22 am UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes the manual and your explanation above is exactly how I have it set.

I doubt it is the hacked MAS since my MAS is completely gutted. After I installed the AFC I started the car with the trap door and had no error codes and the idle was fine. I did not take it for a test spin though.

I then removed the trap door and still no error codes although I noticed that I could see the difference more easily when adjusting the 800 rpm knob (i.e idle would be affected when reving the car as I adjusted the knob).

Again, check your connections. Sorry if this sounds dumb, but it took me a while to figure out the damn diagram was supposed to be a picture of the back of the ECU instead of a picture of the front part of the connectors. So for my car, the ground wire ws not black, but green with a black stripe; the power was red and I believe the RPM wire was black. I forget the color of the AF wire.