October 13, 2004 06:00 pm UTC
October 13, 2004 06:00 pm UTC
Redmond, Washington
Dan Sarkar Offline OP
Serious Member
Dan Sarkar  Offline OP
Serious Member
Redmond, Washington
I was wondering if lowering the car (with whatever drop that Apex springs give) promotes excess strain and stress on the related suspension components.
My car has been lowered for about 2 years now, and while it looks cool, I am worried about the condition of the driveline components. I made use of full camber correction hardware as well as upgraded shocks to compliment the springs, in an effort to "do it right".
The drive axles are obviously at a considerably different angle than they were with the stock set up, as are the upper and lower control arms.
Since this is not how the car was built from the factory, should I be concerned about eventual drive axle/suspension component failure?

My front end has been making creaky groany noises when going over bumps and when going over bumps while cornering. It's not the "clunk" that a worn CV joint makes, but rather just "creaking"
When driving other cars and going over the same terrain (like say, the lip to my driveway) I hear no abnormal sounds from any suspension components.
Could it be that my suspension bushings are just worn out causing noise when made to rotate on their pivot points?
I am debating on whether I should go through the hassle of putting my stock springs back in for fear of causing too much damage to my undercarriage, since it seems to me that the whole system is under considerable stress from being forced into different-than-stock angles . Also, lowering a daily driven commuter is kind of a bad idea, and I am kind of regretting it.

I want an RS4.
Re: lowering=premature/excess wear? #182972
October 13, 2004 07:08 pm UTC
October 13, 2004 07:08 pm UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
the driveline wouldn't see excessive wear but the frame/subframe and shock mounts do for sure.

Re: lowering=premature/excess wear? #182973
October 13, 2004 08:20 pm UTC
October 13, 2004 08:20 pm UTC
Redmond, Washington
Dan Sarkar Offline OP
Serious Member
Dan Sarkar  Offline OP
Serious Member
Redmond, Washington
hmm.
Good to know. Maybe it's time my shock mounts get replaced.

I want an RS4.
Re: lowering=premature/excess wear? #182974
October 13, 2004 08:42 pm UTC
October 13, 2004 08:42 pm UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
by shock mounts I mean the seat for them on the body. you can't really replace them.
but beside that all the rubber pieces in the suspension are subject to harsher life.

I noticed that my dropped(not lowered intentionally but had a failed air suspension) Galant had more rust than expected. But obviously that car was driven all year long and did some offroading too laugh

Re: lowering=premature/excess wear? #182975
October 13, 2004 11:47 pm UTC
October 13, 2004 11:47 pm UTC
Colborne, Ontario
Steven Usher Offline
Serious Member
Steven Usher  Offline
Serious Member
Colborne, Ontario
Haha Amin! I think maybe the offroading might have something to do with that! But as per your questions Dan (did you also post on DSMtalk and Tooners?) if it's lowered excessively, you can probably expect slightly more wear and tear on parts, but it shouldn't be too noticable (except on tires). Just make sure everything is in good condition and can handle the drop. Although you should be able to replace those shock/strut towers if you really want to, as long as mitsu still makes the parts.

As for your bumping/creaking noises, if you installed these springs and didn't cut the bumpstops on your shocks, that could explain the clunking. However, you said it's been on for two years, and if it hasnt been doing this the whole time, it could be something completely different. If I were you, I would remove the tires on all 4 corners and do a visual inspection of all your bushings and other suspension components.

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Re: lowering=premature/excess wear? #182976
October 14, 2004 01:42 pm UTC
October 14, 2004 01:42 pm UTC
Redmond, Washington
Dan Sarkar Offline OP
Serious Member
Dan Sarkar  Offline OP
Serious Member
Redmond, Washington
I didn't remove any bump stops of any kind, I just had the Apex springs installed, then I added Tokico blues, and then full camber correction hardware, followed by a very thorough alignment.
The front lower ball joints were replaced under the recall, and the upper a-arm anchor bolts are Ingalls engineering adjustable units.
I am thinking that mayber the upper shock mounts (like Amin said) or perhaps stabilizer bar joints are in need of some attention.

When driving down the road in a straight line over normal roads (no major poptholes) the car doesn't make a peep, no clunking or sloppy feedback. It's just when turning in combination with hitting a bump (like a driveway curb or parking lot speedbump) that I notice the creaking.

And yes, I did post on talk and tooners, because I like to flood the community with my Spam wink laugh

I want an RS4.