May 02, 2000 02:38 pm UTC
May 02, 2000 02:38 pm UTC
Formerly (Ottawa) now, Elkridg...
G
Graham McConnell Offline OP
Graham McConnell  Offline OP
G
Formerly (Ottawa) now, Elkridg...
For all you stock 2g owners out there I thought I'd post some feedback on some of the mods that I did last weekend. I know that I am not the first to post on this issue but too much feedback is better that none, right?

Last weekend I install a Road Race Engineering (RRE) Upper I/C pipe, 1g BOV, and RRE manual boost controller (I already have a K&N). The install was fairly easy and took a little over 1 hour, most of the time was spend fighting with my fender well behind my side mount intercooler. I had a little trouble getting a good seal between the upper i/c and the intercooler but once that was fixed I was on the road tweaking my boost.

The parts from RRE are 'first rate' and would recommend them to anyone. The intercooler pipe is a 2-1/4" (approx.) mandrel bent pipe that extends from the top of the intercooler to the bottome of the flex tube connect to the original i/c pipe. The fit and finish are great.

The Road Test: For those of you who haven't done this mod (or any mods for that matter) this one is must. What a difference! With the boost dialed in to 15psi the car has much more mid-range torque than before. In stock form at 2500rpm the T25 would spool up to provide a quick but gradual increase in boost pressure to max of 13psi (with the solaniod restriction removed) when fully spooled. This resulted in a decent push on the drivers back as the car accelerates. The experience now, with these new mods, is a little different. The turbo still spools up at 2500rpm but when it hits, it does so very quickly and very abruptly! The thrust provided my the turbo has changed from a 'push' into more of a 'kick'.

Now the mid-range torque is much improved. 3rd gears pulls at 3000 rpm are decent 'for a change' but the T25 is still flow limited like before. Boost levels drop of to around 11psi by redline so high-rev driving has not really changed. Those of you that like to zip around town though will be very pleased with this mod.

Ted, Stephen both of you have done this mod. Like me, do you guys get boost 16psi or 17psi spikes at 3000rpm when spooled? My boost drops and holds at 15psi within 1/2 a second thereafter. Is this normal? Bad? Anybody else have any input?

Graham
95 TSi AWD

Graham McConnell
1995 Talon TSi AWD
Re: [2G] Upper I/C pipe, 1gBOV, MBC install feedback #185092
May 02, 2000 03:21 pm UTC
May 02, 2000 03:21 pm UTC
Oakville, Ontario, Can
Edward Taplin Offline
Serious Member
Edward Taplin  Offline
Serious Member
Oakville, Ontario, Can
Hi Graham,

Yes, I would agree with what you wrote. The car seems to be much more responsive in the mid range than it was. It gives the impression of being more "On the pipe" and responsive when scooting down the Queensway at 140 or so. I particularly like mashing it the "Bronson on-ramp" Westbound!!!

BTW, Stephen sold his Talon quietly a week or two back...

------------------
If you go fast enough you can't hear anyone.
96 Black TSI AWD

10 Infiniti G37S M6
04 Silver Mazda RX-8 GT (Sold)
96 Black TSI AWD (Sold)
90 White TSI AWD (Long Gone)
Re: [2G] Upper I/C pipe, 1gBOV, MBC install feedback #185093
May 02, 2000 11:43 pm UTC
May 02, 2000 11:43 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is the first thing I did to my car (2.5 years ago) and what a difference it was. Took it to the track with only those mods done ran 14.5 all day. Not to mention it feels a lot better on the low to mid powerband rang.
And as for the RRE custom made product's there are amazing I bought there front and back strut bar braces and there lower A-arm brace what A difference in cornering that made to the car.