June 05, 2000 09:26 pm UTC
June 05, 2000 09:26 pm UTC
Ottawa, Ontario
Scotty Williams Offline OP
Serious Member
Scotty Williams  Offline OP
Serious Member
Ottawa, Ontario
How the heck are you suppose to turn the crankshaft sproket counter clockwise (to remove the sproket to get the T-Belt off) WITHOUT turning the timing belt counterclockwise? The haynes manual says put a screwdriver between the driveline and flywheel sprokets (which I have no idea where they are) and the VFAQ says use a "special tool". Can I put a screwdriver b/w the two camshafts and remove the crankshaft bolt or is that bad?

Thanks!
Scotty.

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Re: How the heck . . . #185205
June 08, 2000 02:38 pm UTC
June 08, 2000 02:38 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
On the car? Put it in 1st gear and get someone to stand on the brakes with the clutch disengaged... (: I wouldn't risk using the camshaft wheels to brace it.

Re: How the heck . . . #185206
June 08, 2000 03:16 pm UTC
June 08, 2000 03:16 pm UTC
Trenton, On, Canada.
Ghislain Goudreau Offline
Ghislain Goudreau  Offline
Trenton, On, Canada.
The best result I had was to go to a garage and losen the bolt using an impact. You then retorque the blot and drive the car home. It's alot easyer to remove it after, but it's not always practical specially if you already have half of the engine apart...

An other way would be if you remove the valve cover you will see a place on the camshaft were you can put a wrench. I also used a clean peice of 2"x4" so the wrench would not damage anything. That works good to remove the cam sprokets .

I don't know if it would work to remove the cranck sproket bolt. You would have to do this before you remove the tensionner. I'd give this a try but be carefull. Have a look good at it first.

Good luck Dude.

Ghislain.

Rouge!!!
Re: How the heck . . . #185207
June 09, 2000 06:43 am UTC
June 09, 2000 06:43 am UTC
Waterloo, ON
M
Matt Pratola Offline
Serious Member
Matt Pratola  Offline
Serious Member
M
Waterloo, ON
This is documented in the VFAQ, at least it was the last 2 times i did it :> You use a breaker bar with a socket on the crank bolt and tirp the starter really quick, like half a second, not even. But go through the VFAQ and make sure you understand how to do it, and the risks of doing it. I didn't have any problems, but YMMV :>

Matt
92tsiAWD

95tsiAWD - the mean funky green machine
RIP: 92tsiAWD 6/4 - taken out by hood opening @ 90kph
Re: How the heck . . . #185208
June 09, 2000 11:17 am UTC
June 09, 2000 11:17 am UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I used my lug wrench (T type)on center bolt which a friend holds firmly in place. Then use a breaker bar with socket on bolts connecting the camshaft pulley wheel and undo that way. It is a tight fit with two sets of hands in the wheel well, but it works and you do not have to get an impact wrench or take off the valve cover.

I also tried to remove by putting the car in 1st gear and have heard of the starter trick, but these did not work for me.

Good Luck