S
Sean Costall Offline OP
Serious Member
Sean Costall  Offline OP
Serious Member
S
Calgary, AB, Canada
Hi guys,

I've got a bit of a puzzler here. My starter had been acting flaky for about a year now. Mostly, it would grind when I started the car. Sounded pretty bad.

I was just living with the problem, but it recently began to crank slowly, in addition to grinding. It once refused to crank at all for a short time. So, I had it replaced last week. The car starts well, but it still has the grinding noise, which I expected to be gone.

The mechanics who did the work are usually pretty good. They suspect the flywheel is damaged on my car, with maybe one or two bad spots that are causing the starter to spin against it. I hope that's not true - I've already put a new top end on the engine, and don't want to have to pull the transmission out to replace the flywheel. I'm hoping it's just a bad starter.

Is there anything else it could be? If anyone has any information or opinions on this problem, please let me know.

Thanks,

------------------
S.
1000 AAQ: 1000q.dsm.org
ECU Primer: members.home.net/costall/ECUprimer/index.html

S.
I know everything.
1000q.dsm.org
Re: Starter grind #185266
July 17, 2000 11:25 pm UTC
July 17, 2000 11:25 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Halifax, NS
The easiest way to check would be to unattach the starter, remove the plugs, and then turn the crank while looking through the hole to see how the gears on the flywheel look.

Re: Starter grind #185267
July 24, 2000 01:51 am UTC
July 24, 2000 01:51 am UTC
Burlington, ON, CA
Rob Greer Offline
Serious Member
Rob Greer  Offline
Serious Member
Burlington, ON, CA
Hi Sean,
It's not too difficult to check the teeth on the flywheel. Jack up the front of the car, remove the inspection cover that goes over the gap between the tranny and engine block and take a look. Turn the engine over with the bolt in the end of the crank to be able the see all of the flywheel. You may find patches of teeth that were machined away by the old starter. If that's the problem the machined teeth will be nice and shiny on their sides.
Other possibilities: The new starter is not seated properly in it's hole or the bolts are loose.
Good Luck.

------------------
rcgreer@tap.net
92 Laser RS AWD

New and improved - sporting 18% more
Re: Starter grind #185268
July 24, 2000 03:12 am UTC
July 24, 2000 03:12 am UTC
Toronto, Ontario
M
Michael Hamilton Offline
Michael Hamilton  Offline
M
Toronto, Ontario
There are a few different versions of starters for the same year of car. Manual and automatic's had different starters and the 1.8 automatic had a different starter.

The wrong starter causes grinding (I found this out when I did my transmission conversion)