December 22, 2003 12:28 am UTC
December 22, 2003 12:28 am UTC
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Dan Patrasescu Offline OP
Dan Patrasescu  Offline OP
D
Windsor, ON, Canada
My 14b is very oil thirsty these days. I can basically coat my back bumper in oil deposits coming out of the tail pipe that's how bad it is. So I disconnected the wastegate to ease the forces on the turbo and the oil consumption lessened considerably. This lasted for a couple of weeks and now it's back to making smoke clouds even at the slightest acceleration(wastegate still disconnected) So I go one step further and disconnect the oil supply line. Basically I used a non-turbo plug on the oil supply hole on the head and left the turbo's line open at the connection to the head. I go for a drive and there's a little less smoke but there's a huge oil mess under the hood, apparently from the oil supply line spiting out oil!! Should this happen? Doesn't that line supply oil? So I'm wondering if abnormal crankase pressure could have something to do with this? Could the oil travel up through the oil return from the pan into the turbo and out the oil supply? Could it also be the cause of my turbo failure?

Eventually what I did to get rid of all the smoke was bypass the turbo's intake path and hooked up my MAF directly to the TB. Just like NA!!
pic http://www.geocities.com/eclipse_gsx_dan/DCP_0001.JPG
(if you're wondering what the vice grips are for, they're holding 2 pennies on each side of the oil supply's line's banjo fitting to prevent a huge mess)

'90 Talon AWD 5spd w/boltons & plugins 11.0@133 - crushed but never forgotten

Re: What killed my turbo? #194335
December 22, 2003 12:36 am UTC
December 22, 2003 12:36 am UTC
Toronto
Rob Cauduro Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Rob Cauduro  Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Toronto
If the seals in the turbo are bad, this could very well happen. Whether its the compressor seal or exhaust housing oil seal, pressure might get throught the turbo into the crank case via the return oil line. This might help exlain the smoke and mess.

Re: What killed my turbo? #194336
December 22, 2003 03:00 am UTC
December 22, 2003 03:00 am UTC
Regina, Sk
C
Chris Clark Offline
Insane Member
Chris Clark  Offline
Insane Member
C
Regina, Sk
Get rid of the breather line from the valve cover to the intake tube. It will help abit.

1990 TSi AWD - Parked since I bought it (Jan24/03)
Had it out one day, and busted the trans.
Re: What killed my turbo? #194337
December 22, 2003 06:16 am UTC
December 22, 2003 06:16 am UTC
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Dan Patrasescu Offline OP
Dan Patrasescu  Offline OP
D
Windsor, ON, Canada
I just don't want my EvoIII 16g to fail on me prematurely for the same reason that the 14b did. I always warm up the car fully in the morning (summer or winter) and turbo time it so this was a real surprise for me how bad the turbo smoked all of a sudden. One day it was fine, the next TONS of smoke.

'90 Talon AWD 5spd w/boltons & plugins 11.0@133 - crushed but never forgotten