June 28, 2006 11:58 pm UTC
June 28, 2006 11:58 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Yeah..its a street car. I have kids 8 and 9 at home. I have grandkids near same age.But they live Victoria with first wife.

The car is not a race car and its very streetable it seems until you unleash the beast. wink

1997 TALON AWD ,fully built 2.4,FP3065.

99TAWS6 427 Twin turbo,91 TALON race car,08 Z06.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200108
July 03, 2006 12:46 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 12:46 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Well got good news my apexi gt downpipe and catback is at Ziggys and being shipped out to me shortly! Really anxious to get the stock exhuast off the car and get the new one on there.

My new COP has also shipped and should get here this week and my new kvr rotors,hawk hps pads and stainless lines should also all be on the car this coming week only wanted to paint my calipers at same time as install the new brakes.

Installation of new improved design slowboy oil pan with rtv this time should take care of my annoying little oil leaks at least the biggest ones.

Break in 500 miles should be complete this coming week as well so serious tuning can start on the car.

Goal is 20psi on pump this season.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200109
July 03, 2006 06:26 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 06:26 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Hmm bit of setback. Car got check engine light out of nowhere and died. Tried to read codes at partsource where car died and no codes were showing? WTF?

I figure it has to be my current eprom ecu or loose chip in it or something like that.
I went home and got my old 97 ecu ,set the maft to 950 injectors and tried to start it .It did fire and sounded like it wanted to run but wouldn't. Forgot to switch plug wires around.
They are different on 95 and 97 cars.
Did that and car runs..not very well but it runs.

Problem is can't scan it dsmlink only works on 95 chipped ecus I think or does it work on any ecu? Talking for scanning not programming.

I bought a 2g scanmaster but it didn't work for some reason tried it in buddies 97 talon and in mine figured it didn't work as mine had the chipped 95 ecu but it didn't work in buddies 97 stock one either.

Great so now can't scan the darn car and its throwing codes from no boost solenoid and likely random misfire etc stuff the dsmlink made so didn't throw lights.

I am tempted to just get aem but man those things are too much money or what..1700 US? Thats just crazy!

Well maybe its just a lose chip in my current ecu or something simple.
You don't hear of the 95 boards going bad very often.Not like the 1g ones.

So much for break in .The car runs but it feels super doggy .Not sure why it was running good with the other ecu except it would get this wierd problem even so often.

Only good thing is while its down can do a bunch of stuff that needs doing on it anyway.
So hopefully in a few weeks it can be back on the road again.

Sometimes I think DSM stands for dumb stupid machines.Just when you thing you have then running perfect something seems to always come up.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200110
July 03, 2006 06:46 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 06:46 pm UTC
Whistler,BC
T
Tim Hunt Offline

FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline

FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
Do you still have the boost soloniod pluged in, you can leave the vac lines unhooked but on the 2G's you still need to have the wires going to it plugged in, or it will throw a code.

2G TSI AWD Magnus 2.3L G4CS Hybrid
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200111
July 03, 2006 06:56 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 06:56 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
No not plugged in. If I plug it back in would the car run right again..
I think random misfire can also make it go into limp mode?
I have black top cas if that matters.

Can a dsmlinnk scan another year ecu even if it can't program thru it? So it can at least be used as a logger?

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200112
July 03, 2006 07:15 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 07:15 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ont
Jerry Rose Offline
Insane Member
Jerry Rose  Offline
Insane Member
Mississauga, Ont
Originally posted by Tim Hunt:
Get the DSMlink running before starting the car again, numerous people have told you that in this thread, I can't understand why you have not done this yet, I would have had in it over the winter while you were collecting parts.
Timing 5*, as per the factory service manual, Haynes, numerous post etc.
Haynes/Chilton gives instructions for how to set TPS etc.
DSMlink will lock the timing so you can set, give you your coolant temp, show your TPS settings etc so it is what you need to get up and running now.
At this point you are risking your engine rings not seating properly, and well risking another rebuild.
Like I told you over a week ago, when you start up that car for the first tme you needed to be 100% sure it was ready to go, going out with boost leaks etc just proves the fact that you were too damn impatient to do the job properly.
That FP turbo, 2.4 yada yada, was too much to resist.
You dont need your buddies wideband at this point in time, you need to step back, get DSMlink up and running, and it will tell you what is going on.
Throw away the Scanmaster DSMlink will log EVERTHING it does and more, plus show all your error codes.
You don't need a Fluidyne, you don't need to buy anything more, yo need to get you crap together do it right, and LISTEN to what people are telling you before YOU wrek all those expensive shiny parts you have been drooling over.
You do know that your rings and such seat pretty much by the first 50 mi (100km), and just sitting there idling, out running hot, running rich etc is NOT going to get your ride working as it should.
It has pretty much all been said before. Allan you dont have a clue whats going on but you continue to ask then ignore the advice given. The upgrade paths for these cars are not a mystery, all the info is there so just follow it. It is wasting your time and money along with keeping your car off the road.

Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200113
July 03, 2006 07:26 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 07:26 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Umm Gerry what the f##k was all that about?
What are you talking about?
I am running dsmlink have been for quite some time.
I have been checking things and car has generally been running good. Good oil pressure,water temp good,no check engine lights.

Turbo working good break in was going good. So what are you talking about Gerry?

But for awhile have a weird problem. The car would get a check engine light come on and then it would basically just die and when you tried to restart it wouldn't. It would turn over but not run. Or today it would run but very very poorly you couldn't rev it nothing.
Like massive boost leak but not a boost leak.

I suspected possible ecu problem but thought had problem with dsmlink cable adapter maybe. But dsmlink was not connected and no cable was either.
Car was running fine one minute and then light comes on and car runs terrible.
I was at partsource by luck so went in there guy took out code reader..no codes showing. WTF?

There was a check engine light come on when car started running bad.

I went home and got my 97 ecu. I plugged it in ,set the maft to 950s and set plug wires to 97 configuration.Car runs and started up right away but is running doggy and don't think can scan it now since don't think dsmlink scans off 97 ecu but maybe it can.Anyone try that?

I understand it only programs thru 95 eprom ecu.

I do have boost solenoid disconnected .So maybe that can make the car run poorly? Not sure if it takes out massive timing or somthing if the boost solenoid is not connected.
Can try hooking wire to it.

So again not sure why you brought up that old quote.

I have taken advice ,did have dsmlink up and running from pretty much day one as soon as learned how to use it. And have had not much problem with the car except that random check engine light car dies and won't start for usually awhile and then runs fine again problem.And can't get a decent code to come out to tell me why its doing that.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200114
July 03, 2006 08:01 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 08:01 pm UTC
Whistler,BC
T
Tim Hunt Offline

FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline

FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
When you get an error code fix the problem. When DSMlink throws back an issue with the boost control solonoid, fix that issue, did you think by putting the 97 ECU in there the issue would go away.
I understand peoples frustration with your posts, either they are I have an issue with this, what else should I buy to fix the problem, or when someone is looking at purcahsing a part, you give advice even though you have the part sitting in your garage, or have used the part for 200km as you break in the motor.
I am upgrading the front brakes to 2001 Mustang Cobra calipers and rotors (13" x 1.10").

I am looking for recomendations of pads that will:
-work fine on the street for 3~4,000 kms a year
-survive a hard race day or 2 a year on a road coarse
-don't dust too heavily
-don't squeak too much
-preferably don't eat rotors
I have hawk hps all around to install so can't give a report just yet. I got my kvr crossdrilled cad plated rotors in yesterday.
I know crossdrilled can crack in autocross use but no intention of autocrossing my 97. Just street driving and very occasional quartermile run.

I am hoping stock size rotors with decent pads will do the job for me. My FP3065 is already overpowering those stock brakes pretty badly.
If you don't know don't post please.
Posts as above are really a "look at me post" really we don't care.
We all know your mod's, your essay of a signature lists them all..
When the car throws an error DSMlink stores it in the DTC box.
Read the DSMlink manual.
No it doesn't matter that yo have the magical "black top CAS"
In the DSMlink boxes set it to ignore random misfire, but the DSMlink manual would have already told you to do that if you were using a 6 bolt swap in a 2G, yes you have a G4CS, it doesn't matter its a 6 bolt....

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200115
July 03, 2006 08:15 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 08:15 pm UTC
GTA
Tim Grechin Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Tim Grechin  Offline
GTA
If I only had a dollar for everytime he's written the 4 magical numbers in sequence:

tongue

BTW - Your problem is random misfire. Read about it and fix it.

11.254@132.14MPH - Tractionally impaired
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200116
July 03, 2006 08:22 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 08:22 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Maybe am not being clear here and understand what you are saying on the other posts. Sometimes do get a bit carried away with detail but sometimes they are relevent.Will try to stay more relevent and on topic in the other posts.

Subject at hand.
I had dsmlink in the car for past few weeks. Car has been running not too bad. Didn't do any hardcore tuning to fuel and spark just did little things like turning on fans all the time,
setting idle and timing all that stuff.

But every once in awhile car dies while driving. Light comes on but when you scan you get no codes.
Its done this maybe four or five times since had car running.

A few times car restarted after various time periods. Didn't have to tow it home yet. And it ran pretty good after these incidents. It almost seemed flooded though you could smell gas.

Today it ran after starting but very rough. Sounding like a tractor. Thought it could be boost leak had a few already. But everything appeared tight and on.
Had partsource guy scan code for me. I don't have my laptop with me. He got no code.
Nada..zip..nothing but car was barely running no way would get it home like that.

So went home got ride and came back and installed 97 ecu ,set maft to 950s and set wires to 97 again. Car started ran so so.When you step on it it feels like a boost leak. But pretty sure it isn't one. Right after put in 97 ecu it set code for boost solenoid.It is unplugged.

So was wondering if unplugged boost solenoid affects the way the car runs or if its just a check engine light?

Now I plan on putting my dsmlink ecu back in car but first want to know why keep getting a random check engine light it seems and having the car die. It might be the ecu,the chip..will do some looking at it.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200117
July 03, 2006 08:49 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 08:49 pm UTC
Whistler,BC
T
Tim Hunt Offline

FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline

FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
Check the DTC box, if it threw a code with the DSMlink ECU in the car it would be stored.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200118
July 03, 2006 09:47 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 09:47 pm UTC
Loc: Loc:
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Originally posted by Allan Brounstein:
Hmm bit of setback. Car got check engine light out of nowhere and died. Tried to read codes at partsource where car died and no codes were showing? WTF?

I figure it has to be my current eprom ecu or loose chip in it or something like that.
I went home and got my old 97 ecu ,set the maft to 950 injectors and tried to start it .It did fire and sounded like it wanted to run but wouldn't. Forgot to switch plug wires around.
They are different on 95 and 97 cars.
Did that and car runs..not very well but it runs.

Problem is can't scan it dsmlink only works on 95 chipped ecus I think or does it work on any ecu? Talking for scanning not programming.

I bought a...
OK stop right there.
Am I missing something? Or did you not try DSMLink on the 95 ECU to check codes?
Please tell me it's the former!

AEM EMS? Please.... Do Stop Modding.

1993 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
13.8 @ 106 :::: 14.1 @ 117
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200119
July 03, 2006 10:24 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 10:24 pm UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
:rolleyes: You had a code so you unplugged DSMLink. :rolleyes:

You realize you can't mod these cars by throwing money at it, it does take a bit of tuning. You refuse to learn the link, so how on earth can you manage a stand alone?

I could have sworn I've posted more then once in this thread how to deal with random misfire. I bet I've even posted a picture where to look.

Plug the damn solenoid back in and for crying out loud, put DSMLink back in so you aren't guessing. Then learn how to use the thing.

1997 Eagle Talon TSi - JDM 6 bolt = SOLD!
2008 Mistubishi Lancer GTS
2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200120
July 03, 2006 10:46 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 10:46 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Whoa guys guys guys.

I had dsmlink in the car for past several weeks.
I have used dsmlink and know my way around it very well. Read the manual lots of times and played with most areas of it. Just not fuel and spark tuning. Can't really tune fuel and spark without going WOT and with no wideband.

I used it to turn on both fans, time the car,set the idle,etc.etc. Didn't mess with fuel or spark from base chip as wasn't going wot yet do to 500 mile break in mostly for clutches benefit.

Not sure here but you guys are misreading things.

One more time.
My car has been running fine last while during break in. It was decently fast and all was well with the world. I know how to scan the car ,check for trouble codes all that with dsmlink.

But had a weird problem since got car running over the 300 miles it has been running.
Every so often the check engine light comes on and the car dies. You can be going 30mph and it dies dead.

You try to pull codes nothing ,zip ,nada..no codes.

It did this this morning during normal break in cruising.
Driving along fine then all of a sudden check engine light and then car starts not wanting to run. Restart and it did run barely but would not hold idle or rev up.
Checked for obvious blown hoses had them come off before and after the maf already. But none last few days since tightened hell out of them.

But car won't run. Don't have laptop and so had them check codes at partsource as car died in their parking lot basically. They scan the car..no codes!!
So at this point was pissed off went home and threw in my old 97 ecu and set maft to 950 for my injectors and put plug wires back to 97 from 95 settings.
Car started right up ran ok ,idle was whacked or course with the stage 3 crowers car ran great with link but not so great without it.
But noticed lack of power on way home you can drive it but feels like boost leak. Maybe it is
will check more carefully but mabye its just the car being pig rich or something. Can't scan it as dsmlink supposedly only scans on the 95 ecu with eprom.

And my 2g scanmaster don't work sending it back. It never worked.

So next step is to take apart 95 ecu and see if anything obvious..chip not seated right..bent pin ,bad soldering on socket which I never did got dsmlink used.

If ecu is bad than replace ,250 US for pro socketed ecu. Not bad.

I was not that serious about the aem ems.I dont' want to spend that kind of cash when dsmlink will work for me. And it was working for me guys.

I have tuned cars before. My fourth gen cars. Not a total rookie when it comes to tuning.

So does that clear things up. I didn't want to take out dsmlink and the 95ecu but it seems to have intermittent serious problem. I can't have my car dying at random can I ? It never died with 97 ecu and stock engine so pretty sure its the 95 ecu. Bad socketing is my guess. 2g ecus are much more reliable than the crappy exploding cap 1g ecus. Already have enough problems with them in the past.

So once again I know how to use the link.
The partsource guy scanned the car when the light stayed on after put in 97 ecu.
That code was for boost solenoid. I took it off and also took out egr solenoid ,purge solenoid all pollution junk.

But dsmlnk lets you do that of course.

So will report back when check out the 95 board.Betting problems and mickey mousing was happening in there.

A guy tends to overreact when your car breaks down or acts up !

Not that dont' think the aem ems would be a great system and confident I could figure it out.

And guys I do take your advice a lot just not all the time. I am not a sheep I have a mind of my own. Like I said a few times .I am a stubborn old goat. You have to keep that in mind.

Me and Ziggy are few of the old guys on the forum. Maybe its time to get out of dsms but I like the darn things..at least when they work!

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200121
July 03, 2006 10:57 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 10:57 pm UTC
Whistler,BC
T
Tim Hunt Offline

FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline

FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
Ziggy Listens
If you thnk your DSMlink ecu is screwed send it to the guys at ECM tuning (dsmlink), you can contact them through the DSMLink forums.
They can diagnose, repair and socket your ECU.

Can't really tune fuel and spark without going WOT and with no wideband
Then you didn't read the DSMlink manual fuel is adjusted at cruise and idle.
And you don't need a WB to tune, DSM'ers have been doing it for year's, tune for ZERO knock.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200122
July 03, 2006 11:10 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 11:10 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
I meant the serious stuff is at wot.The fun stuff making the car fast.

And yes zero knock can work but would feel better having it backed up with wideband.

Still nice to know your actual airfuel ratios.

I found a place that sells socketed ecus that have dealt with before.

Dsmlink stocks nothing it could take awhile to get my ecu repaired may still send it but might be able to fix it locally by good tech not hack.
Having two would not be that bad in case of some problem always nice to have spare.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200123
July 03, 2006 11:32 pm UTC
Oakville, ON
Nigel Smith Offline
Insane Member
Nigel Smith  Offline
Insane Member
Oakville, ON
Allan, you seriously expect people to read your 20 paragraph essay everytime you post?

Sorry I have nothing to add, I would like to contribute helpful advice, but without coles notes, it's just not possible.

edit.. I use the word "paragraph" loosely, very loosely.

Past
1992 Tsi AWD
1992 Tsi 14.30@100 Stock w/ MAF-T
1992 Tsi AWD 13.03@105 1.71 60'
1991 Tsi AWD
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200124
Whistler,BC
T
Tim Hunt Offline

FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline

FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
I wouldn't consider the developers of DSMlink "Hacks".
You don't need a "spare" ECU, you don't need to buy anything.
They are hands down the best for DSM ECU repair, expecially with a DSMLink application.
If you are sure that the ECU is your issue, and at this point it doesn't seem like you do then send them your ECU to get the chip checked, the ECU socketed/checked and be done with it.

What you need to do is get rid of a bunch of your mod's to simplify your tuning, rather than adding other issues.

You know Shep has a shorter mod list than you.

So at this point was pissed off went home and threw in my old 97 ecu and set maft to 950 for my injectors and put plug wires back to 97 from 95 settings.
This is a classic example of how you have been dealing with the car, get pissed off, rip something out, or in most cases buy something more.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200125
July 03, 2006 11:34 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 11:34 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ont
Jerry Rose Offline
Insane Member
Jerry Rose  Offline
Insane Member
Mississauga, Ont
Previously by Allan:

Working on your car all the time can get to be big drag and I am still getting to the point of maybe selling most of my cars and just get a new vette on warranty and having some more time to spend with family and friends.
Please do. All the problems from day one have nothing to do with the parts, the car or DSM's and everything to do with the mechanic.

Given that I cant post any responses without being an asshole anymore then I will give up while I am ahead.

Good luck Allan hope you get it done one day.

Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200126
July 03, 2006 11:39 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 11:39 pm UTC
Oakville, ON
Nigel Smith Offline
Insane Member
Nigel Smith  Offline
Insane Member
Oakville, ON
You would PIMP a new c6 zo6 man!!!

Past
1992 Tsi AWD
1992 Tsi 14.30@100 Stock w/ MAF-T
1992 Tsi AWD 13.03@105 1.71 60'
1991 Tsi AWD
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200127
July 03, 2006 11:48 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 11:48 pm UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
Allan, you don't know your way around DSMLink if you thinkg you're ready to tune WOT already. Have you even touched your trims yet?

Confirm if you've unchecked the random misfire DTC yet or not. You keep dancing around the random misfire issue. I don't give a crap if you have a black top cas or not, you are decscribing classing 1Gina2G random misfire symptoms. Turn the DTC off already.

2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200128
July 03, 2006 11:50 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 11:50 pm UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
Originally posted by Nigel Smith:
You would PIMP a new c6 zo6 man!!!
I have to admit, I'd be tempted to slap a set of Borla SS headers and a catback on one if I had the cash to spend.

2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200129
July 03, 2006 11:59 pm UTC
July 03, 2006 11:59 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Wow some of you guys are being jerk offs again.

All the problems are the mechanic..Yeah right
Gerry!

My defective new oem mits therm. My likely defective 95 ecu. Crappy leaking new topline oil pan gasket. Car was running great lately until random dying thing started again.

And Nigel..you don't have to read my posts at all. I read as fast as I type. If you can't keep up don't bother reading the posts. Simple.

And yeah I have some mods so what? They all have a purpose and its easier to put them in sig than always have to ask people what mods they have.

I am not trying to make anyone jealous .I simply have what I have in the car. Have good job can afford to buy things for my cars they are my hobby.

And while throwing money at things don't always work sometimes its necessary. Never said dsmlink guys are hacks. I said guy that did my ecu was likely a hack. It was used dsmlink. Lesson learned I guess.

Just turnaround time might be long with shipping it to dsmlink in the states. And always a pain sending stuff over the board with paperwork,shipping,brokerage..all that stuff.

This board was great for awhile now seems you guys are getting all weird on me again.

The big boards are not like this. You post and get suggestions ,sometimes good advice,sometimes not.
But for the most part people don't give a rats ass about paragraphs, the odd spelling or punctuation mistake ,etc.
Nor do they care how many mods a person has or get jealous or strange over things some of you guys seem to.
Lots of guys have big mods lists on the big boards,dsmtuners.com and dsmtalk.com.

This is a forum a place to share ideas.

And I don't feel a lot of you guys know that much more than me. I have been into these cars for several years now and have read and posted on the boards mostly the big boards for a long time.But never said know everything either.A person can always learn more.

I appreciate ideas and advice but only a fool takes any and all advice without carefully weighing it.

So no problem you can reply to my posts or not. Up to you and vice versa.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200130
July 04, 2006 12:23 am UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
I think my base chip had them all unchecked in already. Never saw a 300 code with dsmlnk ecu in there and yes did look at the boxes in the code section.

And yes have looked at my fuel trims but not tweaked them they were not that far out at base settings.

And one more time dont' have the 95 ecu in the car now. Have the 97 until figure out why the 95 ecu seems to shut the car off at random times and not want to restart or not run right also at random times.

The 95 ecu and dsmlink won't be going back in the car until get the ecu checked/fixed /replaced.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200131
Whistler,BC
T
Tim Hunt Offline

FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline

FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
Allan when you are saying you are "scanning" for codes, what exactly are you doing, are you using the DSMlink, or are you plugging in your "scanmaster"

Allan, leys try this for a while.
1>We don't care about your Mod's, you are not allowed to mention a part unless it's the actual issue (ie your aluminum rad is leaking)
2>You show a little bit of patience with the car, and when something goes wrong you go about fixing the issue rather than a "band aid" solution (this would be either buying a new part to replace a part yo have a "hunch" isn't working, or ripping out something to replace it with something else ie ripping out your ECU to replace it with the '97)
3>Get rid of your signature, list your mod's in your profile, it goes along with your "look at me attitude", really we don't care, really people are just looking at you as someone with more money than brains. Really we don’t care.
4>When someone gives you advice, listen.
If you have an issue with your car follow this path.....
Step 1
1.Try and isolate the issue, don't guess figure it out.
2.Search, all sites you have access to.
3.Search with Google.
4.Write out your question, but don't hit the post button yet.
5.Read your post, shorten it by 1/2, make sure it is well worded, capitals, punctuation, brief and to the point.
6.Hit the reply button.
7.Collect advice and proceed to Step 2.
Step 2.
When working on the car promise to do thing's properly, and only drive the car if it is ready to go, if you think you have boost leaks, check, and if so repair.
Don't half-ass thing's, you trying to start the car with half the wires and sensors not hooked up was a classic example of this.
Heed the advice given to you, if you aren't going to listen to the advice, don't ask, people are taking time out of their days to try and help you, and you don't seem to listen to the advice given to you.

If you haven’t noticed you have developed a rather large collection of people who are quite fed up with your actions and personality you present in your posts, this is reducing the amount of knowledgeable help you are receiving.
Your loosing out in the end, and it's not just on this board, you have just been removed from another board, and well the opinions here are shared in other places.
Maybe it’s time for a reality check.

Don't forget I asked a question at the top of this post.
Hopefully you can get a few people to help you out and get your car running, you have people who wan't to see you succeed, Sure people are drooling for a part out, but they also want to see the car up and running as well.
And really the new Zo6's are ugly, I hate the headlights.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200132
July 04, 2006 12:28 am UTC
July 04, 2006 12:28 am UTC
Whistler,BC
T
Tim Hunt Offline

FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline

FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
And if you think that it's just on this board take a look at this post,

"I was curious how long this would take. I see him on dsmtalk rambling on in posts about his own untested setup and contributing nothing."

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200133
July 04, 2006 03:01 am UTC
July 04, 2006 03:01 am UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
I too would like to see you succeed, but you barely explain your problems yet still expect people to solve it for you.

The car just shuts off? Okay, that's great but what does it do just before that? Does it miss? Stumble? Lights go dim? Drop to three cylinders?

Just ripping out the ECU and blaming it on faulty socketing is a complete stab in the dark. How do you know this is the problem? Did you do a bunch of continuity tests? Did you visually inspect the board? Both sides? Do you have a log of this happening? If so why don't you post a link to the log? Some of us will gladly take a look.

Where is this DSMLink from? Is it legit? Did you do a search onthe link forums? Did you do a search here?

2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200134
July 04, 2006 03:28 am UTC
July 04, 2006 03:28 am UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Check engine light comes on then car starts running rough then dies. Normally it don't want to restart right away but sometimes will after awhile , you can usually smell gas assume its flooding.

You scan it and get no codes.

How can you log a totally random event?

If it was something else other than the ecu you would think it would spit out codes for it.

It never did this with 97 ecu and 7 bolt.

Why would I pay 100 bucks to flatbed my car home when had the 97 ecu still to try first. It started up instantly with 97 ecu. Think that proves something right there. It didn't start minute before with 95ecu. Defence rests!

I haven't inspected the 95 ecu yet. Will next day or so.

And Tim getting kicked off Team Nabr is not unusual or a big deal. They are bunch of brokeback mountain boys on there anyway.

And if get kicked off here for writing long posts whatever.

90% of the posts in this forum are not important or even about problems on the car. So not sure why you get so uptight about jumping in to a post with similar problems and sometimes adding a bit too much detail.

If you are worried about bandwidth better take a look at 90% of the forum stuff.

And if I am allowed to post so long a sig going to post it. If some guys think that is vanity or something and get jealous well tough luck.
My sig is for information believe what you want.

I dont need to impress a bunch of dsm guys. Most are teenagers anyway. But fortunately there are quite a few decent guys on the forums that don't get so worked up over nothing.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200135
July 04, 2006 03:50 am UTC
July 04, 2006 03:50 am UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
You scan it and get no codes.
Of course you got no codes, you unplugged the ECU with the code in it.

How can you log a totally random event?
By pushing the capture button and waiting for it to happen.

It never did this with 97 ecu and 7 bolt.
That's because you hadn't messed with it yet. To much all at once.... Makes it hard to even figure out where to start trouble shooting.

Why would I pay 100 bucks to flatbed my car home when had the 97 ecu still to try first. It started up instantly with 97 ecu. Think that proves something right there. It didn't start minute before with 95ecu. Defence rests!
It proves you just reset your ECU and clearing things like random misfire. Defence is fired.

I haven't inspected the 95 ecu yet. Will next day or so.
Do you know what you are looking for? You didn't want to start your laptop a couple of weeks ago.

And Tim getting kicked off Team Nabr is not unusual or a big deal. They are bunch of brokeback mountain boys on there anyway.
That's right, all DSMers are a bunch of fags.... damnit, there goes the soap again. Will you pick it up for me?

And if get kicked off here for writing long posts whatever.
10% content, 90% hot air...

90% of the posts in this forum are not important or even about problems on the car. So not sure why you get so uptight about jumping in to a post with similar problems and sometimes adding a bit too much detail.
Direct result of not contributing properly to a thread...

And if I am allowed to post so long a sig going to post it. If some guys think that is vanity or something and get jealous well tough luck.
My sig is for information believe what you want.
The formatting bugs the crap out of us.... please fix it.

I dont need to impress a bunch of dsm guys. Most are teenagers anyway. But fortunately there are quite a few decent guys on the forums that don't get so worked up over nothing.
I'm no teenager, and I've tried to help you but you follow this messed up approach of trouble shooting. For example, if I was diagnosed with lung cancer I wouldn't change my brand of smokes thinking that would cure me.

And trust me, I'm not impressed by your list, but I'll be very impressed if you get this thing running and keep it on the road more then it's in the garage being worked on. You've had this car for a year, has it ever been on the road for more then a week? You want this to be your daily?

2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200136
July 04, 2006 06:41 pm UTC
July 04, 2006 06:41 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Put your 95 ECU back in and set everything up in the DSMLINK. After that, log your car until it dies. End of discussion, check that out first before you post.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200137
July 04, 2006 08:48 pm UTC
July 04, 2006 08:48 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
You guys have some real stupid advice sometimes! How can I log the car when it has the problem? The problem was happening totally at random when driving the car. Some rides it was fine no problems and maybe 4 times out of twenty short rides it did the funky chicken. And as said for the 100th time, the light does come on before this event happens but it don't throw any codes.

I took the 95 ecu out of the car, car was running on my 97 ecu. I opened it and checked for anything obvious or burnt ,the socket job looks ok.
It has zif socket and it did seem the lever wasn't down all the way so maybe that was all it would take. I made sure lever is down and chip is in there.

Connected it back up in car, changed firing order on coilpack again and set maft to 450s basically zero since the chip is set for 950s.

Car started up great ,several times so hoping the chip not being in all the way was problem.

Of course car runs a lot better with dsmlink,no random misfire problems ,codes from boost and egr solenoids ,etc.

I am going to keep my 97 ecu in the car with tools so if need be can swap it back in if get stranded again.

If get a repeat of the problem will take out the 95 and get it thoroughly tested. Possibly may order another replacement chip from dsmlink to have just in case.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200138
July 04, 2006 09:10 pm UTC
July 04, 2006 09:10 pm UTC
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Originally posted by Allan Brounstein:
You guys have some real stupid advice sometimes! How can I log the car when it has the problem? The problem was happening totally at random when driving the car.
So you leave the logger plugged in and logging, and you drive until it happens.
What's so stupid about that? spy

1993 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
13.8 @ 106 :::: 14.1 @ 117
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200139
July 04, 2006 09:37 pm UTC
July 04, 2006 09:37 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Ok not great yet at this loggin stuff on dsmlink.
So you are saying it will log and record with no time limit on the log. I am not used to that from my other cars. The logs were not infinite but fixed length and quite short.

And really if it don't spit out any codes when this happens how is loggin some basic parameters going to help?
Log what exactly? What parameters?

As said the car fired up instantly when swapped in the 97 ecu.It never had a problem like this with the 97 ecu and the 7 bolt.

It fired up instantly when put in the 95 ecu after making sure that lever in the socket was pushed down all the way, it wasn't when I checked it.

And if the dsmlink can do infinite logs or logs for like half an hour or more than I apologise for the stupid advice comment.
And actually buddy was copiloting with the laptop when it did the very thing we are talking about. We tried to pull codes with zero luck.

Car finally restarted and ran on its own after the usual acting like it was flooding itself or at least you could smell gas quite strongly.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200140
July 04, 2006 10:58 pm UTC
July 04, 2006 10:58 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The dsmlink can go a lot longer than 30 minutes. It all depends on your hardrive space. You can go for hours if you wish.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200141
July 04, 2006 11:12 pm UTC
July 04, 2006 11:12 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Oh ,that is a long time. I am used to much shorter logging in my other cars.

But again can't see any advantage to logging it if no codes are thrown anyway.

I am crossing my fingers that the dsm chip was not in the socket tight since the lever was not down all the way.

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200142
July 04, 2006 11:13 pm UTC
July 04, 2006 11:13 pm UTC
Regina, Sk
C
Chris Clark Offline
Insane Member
Chris Clark  Offline
Insane Member
C
Regina, Sk
The whole point of logging it, is to see what is going wrong with the engine when the problem does occour. confused

1990 TSi AWD - Parked since I bought it (Jan24/03)
Had it out one day, and busted the trans.
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200143
July 04, 2006 11:22 pm UTC
July 04, 2006 11:22 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
So log what parameters then?
And why don't it throw any codes?

I think it was just that chip in the ecu not being in there tight. Intermittent problem from that.

Thats my theory and I am sticking to it!

Just like my new mits therm being defective. It was unlikely but it still was true.

But that 97 ecu is going to be in the back of the car for awhile till am 100% sure have fixed the problem.

Hey Chris maybe you want to ride shotgun and monitor things for me. I owe you a ride and still some cash. And yeah should have used rtv on that damn oil pan! I bet it would leak less with no gasket! That topline gasket is crap!

Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200144
July 05, 2006 02:40 am UTC
July 05, 2006 02:40 am UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
I kept my 97 ECU in my car for 6 months before I was comfortable removing it.... I kept it under the passenger seat.

2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200145
July 05, 2006 05:32 pm UTC
July 05, 2006 05:32 pm UTC
Toronto, Ontario
J
Jakub Kowalczyk Offline
Serious Member
Jakub Kowalczyk  Offline
Serious Member
J
Toronto, Ontario
I thought there was no gasket on the oil pan to begin with, at least on 1gs?!
Allan, are you trying to get the code through the laptop logging software that came with dsmlink?

GOT SURGE?
Re: 2.4 finally in her new home.... #200146
July 05, 2006 05:53 pm UTC
July 05, 2006 05:53 pm UTC
Kelowna,BC
Allan Brown Offline OP
Insane Member
Allan Brown  Offline OP
Insane Member
Kelowna,BC
Jakub..there is no gasket on oil pan on 1gs from mits. They use rtv. I got a topline gasket set off Ziggy and it had an oil pan gasket. I put it on the oil pan with no rtv and torqued to spec.

It acts like I don't even have a gasket on there. Its leaking everywhere on that pan to block area! Not too impressed hope the rest of my engine don't leak from using topline, at this point have to say topline gaskets are junk!

So will yank off pan and do it with rtv ultra gray or mits or toyota or something rtv but rtv only no gasket this time around.

And yes was trying to pull codes thru the dsmlink laptop and also from partsource scanner.
I have a 2g scanmaster but it dont' work it was doa from minute I got it. Have to send it in for repair,replacement.

I drove the car this morning since put the 95 ecu back in and made sure the chip is seated and lever is pushed down all the way.

So far the car is back to running like a raped ape and no codes or check engine lights.
I have not tuned anything yet just use dsmlink for stuff like setting the idle,turning on the fans all the time,etc. I have it turning off checks like random misfire,no boost solenoid,egr solenoid,map,etc.

As said won't start tuning hardcore till got 500 miles on the car have about 300 miles on it now.

So hoping chip not seated all the way was my problem. But keeping the 97 ecu in the car just in case problem comes back.

Installing new COP tonite be nice to get rid of wires and coilpack will clean things up nicely.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6