June 07, 2000 05:56 pm UTC
June 07, 2000 05:56 pm UTC
Canada
T
Trevor Kuebler Offline OP
Trevor Kuebler  Offline OP
T
Canada
I was reading over the 2gnt.dsm.org site, and I came across what I thought would be some interesting mods. One was to bore out the TB. On a secondary note (And a bit of a stupid question), but would a Turbo DSM have a larger TB than a non-turbo? Any other "little" projects that can be done cheaply?

Thanks

------------------
Trevor
90 Laser RS 1.8L
90 Talon 2.0L NT
"I almost beat the bicyclist!!"

Re: Hidden Power? #203263
June 07, 2000 06:41 pm UTC
June 07, 2000 06:41 pm UTC
Trenton, On, Canada.
Ghislain Goudreau Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Ghislain Goudreau  Offline
Trenton, On, Canada.
Hey Man.

I don't think T model TB are bigger than the larger TB on the NT models. Look at the post I have in the NT section. 1G 2.0L NT TB differences.

Boring the TB could remove a little restriction. I read in SSC that boring a TB more than 5% could have a negative effect on the volumetric effeciency of the engine. You could even go with 5% overbore and yeald more HP but it "could" hurt bottom end HP...

Plese feed us the info if you got any. I'd be interested if it wouldn't be harmfull.

I'm not sure if this one could be done cheaply but; I just send an e-mail to Todd Day asking him to mod my ECU. I just bought one and it has an EPROM. Guess that the timing curve and injector pulse width could be modifyed.

I'll see what he has to say.

Ghislain.

Rouge!!!
Re: Hidden Power? #203264
June 07, 2000 08:28 pm UTC
June 07, 2000 08:28 pm UTC
Welland, Ontario
P
Paul Kolbuc Offline
Paul Kolbuc  Offline
P
Welland, Ontario
Trevor, I think the reason the 2g Nt site talks about boring out the TB is because when the 2G came out, they shrunk the TB, intake ports?, and made a couple other things smaller.. The 1g's already have a large TB relative to their 2g cousins.

Don't some people just swap their 2g TB for a 1g TB? ...i know they do it with the head.

The only thing intake-related on the nt.dsm.org(for 1g's) site is the air-can mod, and a Wepon-R Intake, which replace the big rubber hose.

One thing I was planning on trying is getting some insulation that you wrap around your heating ducts...it is insulation on one side..silver foil on the other...and wrap that around the rubber intake hose. Silver side out. That should help to keep the air going through the hose cooler. After driving for a bit, you'll notice that the rubber intake hose can get hot...just heating the air going through it...should be worth a couple ponies..and probably a $5 mod.

Re: Hidden Power? #203265
June 07, 2000 10:44 pm UTC
June 07, 2000 10:44 pm UTC
Farnham, Québec, Canada
P
Patrick Sansoucy Offline
Patrick Sansoucy  Offline
P
Farnham, Québec, Canada
Hey fellows !

Boring the TB is great, the AT (on the 2G) have a bigger TB than the MT to give it more torque ... It won't give you a sh#$load of hp, maybe 3, but you will increase throttle response a lot ! Road and Race Eng. does a great job at this. It's like changing the stock intake pipe, you remove restriction, wich is good ! The more air goes in, the better it gets ...

------------------
Dr. Claw (aka Dr. |\|o)
Project 97 2G NT
All show ... No go !!

Dr. Claw (aka Dr. |\|o)
Project 97 2G NT
All show ... No go !!
Re: Hidden Power? #203266
June 08, 2000 02:39 pm UTC
June 08, 2000 02:39 pm UTC
Canada
T
Trevor Kuebler Offline OP
Trevor Kuebler  Offline OP
T
Canada
Could someone answer a kinda stupid question? How does the PVC pipe give an increase in power over the stock rubber hosing? That hose seems to be rather large already, so how would putting on a PVC tube (Or stainless steel) help?

Thanks

------------------
Trevor
90 Laser RS 1.8L
90 Talon 2.0L NT
"I almost beat the bicyclist!!"

Re: Hidden Power? #203267
June 08, 2000 04:58 pm UTC
June 08, 2000 04:58 pm UTC
Farnham, Québec, Canada
P
Patrick Sansoucy Offline
Patrick Sansoucy  Offline
P
Farnham, Québec, Canada
Well, first of all, the rubber hose has lot's of curves into it, having something les curvy will increase air speed ... Then the interior will be smoother, with will do the same as above. If you look at an intake, you will only see one curve in it (with the less angle possible), and the interior will be very smooth ... As for cold air intakes, the same priciple applys except it will be placed somewhere where it can suck colder air or can have the ram air effect ...

------------------
Dr. Claw (aka Dr. |\|o)
Project 97 2G NT
All show ... No go !!

Dr. Claw (aka Dr. |\|o)
Project 97 2G NT
All show ... No go !!
Re: Hidden Power? #203268
June 08, 2000 08:19 pm UTC
June 08, 2000 08:19 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Boring the TB is a good NT mod, there are several companies that sell Overbored TBs and offer that service. I know Gude/Bullfrog has a racing package that is well priced and includes serveral performance goodies. I think they ask just over 1000US and you get. Bored TB, Header, Cams, Adjustable Cam gears and something else I think. forget. They have a similar package for Turbo's.

Re: Hidden Power? #203269
June 09, 2000 03:00 am UTC
June 09, 2000 03:00 am UTC
Trenton, On, Canada.
Ghislain Goudreau Offline
Ghislain Goudreau  Offline
Trenton, On, Canada.
Hey Man.

Do you know by how much(MM) they bore the TB???

Do you know anybody that has done this mod on their ride???

Keep us in touch Man. I'd be up for it but I want hard cold fact before I dig in the TB.

Ghislain.

Rouge!!!