July 11, 2000 01:49 pm UTC
July 11, 2000 01:49 pm UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Okay here's my next little query of the day!

I have done a quite a few mods to my NT Laser and just recently I have found to be stalling after driving fairly hard for about 10 minutes straight (estimate). Here are the mods:

-K&N Air Filter
-K&N Breather
-Removed Air Box
-Removed Silencer (in the MAS)
-High Flow Cat
-Cat Back Exaust
-NGK Plugs and Wires
-Cleaned Throttle Body

Any Ideas [Linked Image] I am hoping I'm going to get someone who reply's "IT'S THE ________ STUPID!" Well maybe without the stupid at the end. I drive my car pretty hard on a daily bases, it's got 180,000Km on it and I put Synthetic in it every 5000Km relegiously. Any help would be a great help, seeing as I don't like pulling up to a light next to a mustang and have to start the car [Linked Image]

Thanks Again,

Mike Vince
Lots a Boom, No Vrrooom.

Re: Car Stalling #203302
July 11, 2000 02:21 pm UTC
July 11, 2000 02:21 pm UTC
Canada
T
Trevor Kuebler Offline
Trevor Kuebler  Offline
T
Canada
If you removed the air can could it be because there is now a tonne of warm air entering through the filter once the car warms up?

------------------
Trevor
90 Laser RS 1.8L
90 Talon 2.0L NT
"I almost beat the bicyclist!!"

Re: Car Stalling #203303
July 11, 2000 02:34 pm UTC
July 11, 2000 02:34 pm UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Oh yeah I forgot to add that I made a little bracket for the filter to sit on so that when the cooling fan came on, it wouldn't blow all the hot air right into the intake. I'm not too sure if this is working or not... I will be getting someone to make me a mandrel bent pipe to push the K&N right up to the pop up light area, see if that makes any difference.

Mike Vince
Lots a Boom, No Vrooom.

Re: Car Stalling #203304
July 11, 2000 08:17 pm UTC
July 11, 2000 08:17 pm UTC
Canada
T
Trevor Kuebler Offline
Trevor Kuebler  Offline
T
Canada
I've read of people making "heatshields" for their air filters so that this does not happen...

------------------
Trevor
90 Laser RS 1.8L
90 Talon 2.0L NT

Re: Car Stalling #203305
July 12, 2000 05:04 am UTC
July 12, 2000 05:04 am UTC
Campbellville, Ontario
E
Eric Svilans Offline
Eric Svilans  Offline
E
Campbellville, Ontario
Hey Mike...It's Eric. [Linked Image] When you showed me your no-aircan mod at the DSM meet I went home and attempted it. I encountered idle hesitation problems due to warm and/or turbulent air confusing the MAS. I fiddled with my BISS for awhile with mixed results... Finally, I cut my existing aircan leaving the side nearest the exhaust manifold and fans intact. No more idle hesitation and the same great sound. I also added a semi-ramair setup using the hole from where the stock resonator box pipe came through. 2" PVC pipe fits perfectly. You coming to Milley's soon? I'll show you everything there. (and anyone else who wants to see)

------------------
-Eric "No Spleen" Svilans
'90 Laser RS

Eric "No Spleen" Svilans
'90 Laser @ 141.7 dB
Re: Car Stalling #203306
July 12, 2000 05:10 am UTC
July 12, 2000 05:10 am UTC
SASKATOON
Tyler Hodgson Offline
Tyler Hodgson  Offline
SASKATOON
Here's a link to my webpage where it tells you how to make your own cheap intake system from home depot.
http://members.home.net/t.hodgson/homemadeintake.html

Tyler

92 Talon TSI AWD
That's right, that's a banana.
Re: Car Stalling #203307
July 12, 2000 02:17 pm UTC
July 12, 2000 02:17 pm UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tyler,

Thanks for the site man, I'm going out STRAIGHT after work to home depot and doing exactly what you've done, it'll save me about 250.00 to have one made be the ripoffs! It doesn't really look to hard, maybe an hours work. Once again, thanks, I'll let you know how it turned out.

Mike Vince
Lots a Boom, No Vrrooom

[This message has been edited by mikevince (edited July 13, 2000).]

Re: Car Stalling #203308
July 13, 2000 01:44 pm UTC
July 13, 2000 01:44 pm UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

So, here's the deal with the home 'DEPOT' made intake for our slow poke cars. Went to home depot with my shopping list, pickup everything for about 27.00 including tax. When I got it all back and looked at it, it appers that it won't fit because the battery is in the way (which I want to move to the back anyways). So I take out the battery, put everything together, cut the pipe (I'll have the exact length in a day or so). I had to completely remove the battery box, there was no way that it was going to fit otherwise. My main problem with this is that I broke my batter tie down strap (the bolt) when I bought the car, DOH! But it because of the fact that the intake pushes right up to it, it doesn't seem to move. Anyways, the setup looks REALLY good and is a bit louder, the one problem I'm having with it is BIG time idle surge, set the biss and then it started up and goes up and down between 1000-1500. I think it is because I haven't glued the pipe to the fitting, but they're fairly tight... Any thoughts Tyler?

Mike Vince
Lots a Boom, No Vrooom

[This message has been edited by mikevince (edited July 13, 2000).]

Re: Car Stalling #203309
July 14, 2000 01:11 am UTC
July 14, 2000 01:11 am UTC
SASKATOON
Tyler Hodgson Offline
Tyler Hodgson  Offline
SASKATOON
I think you should pull your room light fuse for more than 20 secs and this will reset your ECU. I believe I had problems until I did this as well. Have you looked at my page with the extra pictures on it??? For more detailed install pics have look.

http://members.home.net/t.hodgson/intakepics.html

The only way I could make my intake fit, like it does, was to move the battery as far back and away from the intake and trim a bit of the battery box out with a hacksaw. I really stuffed the elbow that goes onto the throttle body on as far as I could to clear it the battery box.

I have the 1.8L if you haven't noticed, it may be that you have less clearence than I do.

One thing that I have been doing is running premium gas all the time, makes a difference! I think I spoil my car, synthetic oil, puralator pure one oil filter and premium gas. Makes for one hell of a clean motor though.

Have a look at my homepage as well and my car club as well.

Tyler
http://members.home.net/t.hodgson

http://sask.dsm.org

[This message has been edited by Tyler Hodgson (edited July 13, 2000).]

92 Talon TSI AWD
Re: Car Stalling #203310
July 15, 2000 12:45 am UTC
July 15, 2000 12:45 am UTC
Campbellville, Ontario
E
Eric Svilans Offline
Eric Svilans  Offline
E
Campbellville, Ontario
That setup looks great Tyler! I was thinking of doing it too but when I looked under the hood (I have a 2.0 L) I saw that my throttle cables were in the way. (at least that's what I think they are!) Did you have a problem with this Mike? How do you get by them and still have a straight tube?

Also if you are interested... I have created a semi ram-air system for my car which uses similar home-depot materials. It collects from a 3" pipe behind and below the right foglight and then enters the car through the 2" old resonator box hole. I don't have pics but you can see it at the next DSM meet for sure.

I was thinking my existing ram-air and your intake. [Linked Image] Off to home depot!

------------------
-Eric "No Spleen" Svilans
'90 Laser RS

Eric "No Spleen" Svilans
'90 Laser @ 141.7 dB
Re: Car Stalling #203311
July 15, 2000 02:16 pm UTC
July 15, 2000 02:16 pm UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Eric, It does work but you NEED to remove the battery box. Now if you have a battery tie down still intact then no problem because the battery WILL not move once the intake is in place. I on the other hand do not have a battery tie down, but oh well if the batttery flies around, who cares... what is it going to do, reck my million dollar stereo system??? (hehe) By the way Eric, you have to see my new setup, still the same 6.5" but with a new amp and I vinyled the back and put up an amp rack and neon! If you read this today, email me with your number and I'll call you tonight to see if your going to milley's or not.

Back to the intake, it works wonderful, I took at least .5 second of my 0-100km test. Its a wee bit louder and you can hear that more air is being sucked in. It looks wicked too, I'm getting an aluminium pipe cut to take the place of the PVC eventually. I am very pleased with this mod and it only cost 27.50 inc. tax.

Don't be discuraged when you 2.0L people take it all home (like I did) everything DOES fit, just get rid of the battery box, take the battery out when doing the install, the 2.5" throttle body to the 2" rubber coupler is no problem either, I measured that the pipe should be about 12" long once the 3" to 3" coupler is on all the way and the MAF is attached to the other end.

If anyone has any questions on this mod for a 2.0L just ask. Anyhow, great job Tyler, can't believe I didn't think of this before, you saved me quite a bit of money!

See ya at the races!

Mike Vince,
Lots a Boom, Now just a bit of Vrrooom [Linked Image]

Re: Car Stalling #203312
July 16, 2000 05:25 am UTC
July 16, 2000 05:25 am UTC
Campbellville, Ontario
E
Eric Svilans Offline
Eric Svilans  Offline
E
Campbellville, Ontario
Sorry Mike, I can't come out and play tonight. I just got back from a day at the Molson Indy. [Linked Image]

------------------
Eric "No Spleen" Svilans
'90 Laser @ 141.7 dB

Eric "No Spleen" Svilans
'90 Laser @ 141.7 dB
Re: Car Stalling #203313
July 17, 2000 01:38 pm UTC
July 17, 2000 01:38 pm UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Cool don't worry about it, there wasn't many people there seeing as it was RAINING [Linked Image] What can you do! So I was helping a friend start his car because he had a dead battery, when I was done I forgot to put that little plastic cover over the positive... I drive away down the street, not 2 seconds later I go over a bump and BOOM car goes dead, no lights, no engine, NO STEREO (grin)!! Get out pop the hood, look inside and theres a nice big welt on the hood where the battery jumped up and hit it [Linked Image]

Now let this be a lesson to this install of the homedepot intake, TIE DOWN your battery [Linked Image]

Mike Vince
Lots a Boom, No Vrooom

Re: Car Stalling #203314
August 05, 2000 07:05 am UTC
August 05, 2000 07:05 am UTC
D
Dan Saddy Offline
Dan Saddy  Offline
D
Hey Tyler, im really interested in how you did that cheap intake mod to your DSM...

I have a '91 Talon ESi and Im looking for anything to give the car a lil more kick (as all of us are) and I dont have that much $$$ to spend..

Would it be possible to get a step by step summary of what you did so I could bring it somewhere (Im 18 and not mechanically inclined at all).

Also Eric how has the ram air intake mod worked for you ???. I had thoughts of asking about that but someone said it couldnt be done...

Your Feedback on this is most appreciated..

------------------
Dan Saddy
Windsor Ontario Canada
91' Red Stock Talon Esi

Re: Car Stalling #203315
August 06, 2000 06:06 am UTC
August 06, 2000 06:06 am UTC
D
Dan Saddy Offline
Dan Saddy  Offline
D
Go to http://www.ca.dsm.org/non-cgi/Forum2/HTML/001530.html .
Im tring to start a development group up for the ram-air intake mod for NT's.

Help is greatly appreciated !!!

------------------
Dan Saddy
Windsor Ontario Canada
91' Red Stock Talon Esi

Re: Car Stalling #203316
August 06, 2000 08:02 pm UTC
August 06, 2000 08:02 pm UTC
Canada
T
Trevor Kuebler Offline
Trevor Kuebler  Offline
T
Canada
Dan - I'll be trying these things on my 1.8L Laser when I get my 2.0L Talon done (Praying for end of August). The intake will be done for sure, and I'm hoping to get some sort of "ram air" system going. But I have _no_ clue how to use fiberglass to make the intake look nice, and I don't want to look like white trash.

Re: Car Stalling #203317
August 07, 2000 04:40 am UTC
August 07, 2000 04:40 am UTC
D
Dan Saddy Offline
Dan Saddy  Offline
D
Yea i know, if we wanted to look like white trash we would all be driving old ford pickup trucks...

Someone out there might be able to manufacture the fiberglass somewhere. I doubted a whole lot of Turbo drivers checked the NT page so I decided to post to see if it could help any..

Keep up the good work..

------------------
Dan Saddy
Windsor Ontario Canada
91' Red Stock Talon Esi

Re: Car Stalling #203318
August 07, 2000 05:33 am UTC
August 07, 2000 05:33 am UTC
SASKATOON
Tyler Hodgson Offline
Tyler Hodgson  Offline
SASKATOON
I think a combination of what Ghislain has done with bringing air from the fog light area is a great idea, but I still think some sort of box made to funnel air from the front only and while a connection to the tube running up from the fog light area is the best thing us NT could do. I've been thinking about this for quite a while and there is no other why to do it, plain and simple. The only thing is actually sitting down and doing it. I will be doing it some day, too bad other thing jsut keep proping up, like brakes and a head gasket for example. I'm still recovering from that from early this summer. Never do marathon work on your vehicle!

------------------
My homepage

http://members.home.net/t.hodgson

My car club

http://sask.dsm.org

92 Talon TSI AWD
Re: Car Stalling #203319
August 07, 2000 06:04 am UTC
August 07, 2000 06:04 am UTC
Canada
T
Trevor Kuebler Offline
Trevor Kuebler  Offline
T
Canada
Well, why don't you run pipe/tube from the foglights and put it directly into the existing aircan. Use rivots (Or even silicone if it'll hold) to connect the pipe/tube to your _complete_ aircan. Wouldn't this eliminate the problem of warm air getting in, and allow a tonne of cold air in while the car is in motion?

------------------
Trevor
90 Laser RS 1.8L
90 Talon 2.0L NT

Re: Car Stalling #203320
August 08, 2000 01:00 am UTC
August 08, 2000 01:00 am UTC
D
Dan Saddy Offline
Dan Saddy  Offline
D
I dont think silicone would hold.
you need something thats strong enought to hold while driving in rough conditions, has to be to handle extreme heat/cold and make very little vibration noise yet something non acidic so it wont eat through the materials...

Rivets could work but you have to find somewhere to place them so they dont interfear with anything and dont harm the exterior of the car..

------------------
Dan Saddy
Windsor Ontario Canada
91' Red Stock Talon Esi

Re: Car Stalling #203321
August 08, 2000 11:55 am UTC
August 08, 2000 11:55 am UTC
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
K
Kevin Champoux Offline
Serious Member
Kevin Champoux  Offline
Serious Member
K
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hey guys, I'm working on an idea on mine 2.0L NT when it come to the intake. I'm going to try and eliminate the air can. Keep the lid part with the MAF. I've taught of a couple of things and I going to try them tonight if the weather stays nice I'll have some pics if I get it to work.