June 14, 2002 05:35 am UTC
June 14, 2002 05:35 am UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

So I'm dead set on getting a STAR stage 1 turbo becuase of the T3/T4. Now I've heard a wide range of stories as to how the b-bearing/e-trim turbo fares against the regular e-trim. Anyone out there have any numbers for me as to how much of a performance boost I can expect from the b-bearing? I'm planning on gettin the most from 5 psi (dun trust them dodge engines ya know...)Also, is there anyone out there distributing STAR kits in GTA? Anyone out there gotta 2g eclipse/talon with the star kit? Let me know, we'll talk.

peace

Re: Ball Bearing or E-trim #204156
June 14, 2002 01:46 pm UTC
June 14, 2002 01:46 pm UTC
Dundas
B
Brian Wylie Online content
Serious Member
Brian Wylie  Online Content
Serious Member
B
Dundas
There's nothing wrong with the 420A engine. In some cases it's better then the Mitsu engine.
More up to date, etc.
Don't get me wrong, the Mistu engine is a good engine as well, just the Mistu engine was designed with a turbo in mind, the Chrysler engine was not.

I've read that the 420A can run 10psi on stock internals, but I've been told that 8psi is a comfortable boost. Also, I'd recomend getting a stage 2 with a FMIC. Or upgrade later on down the road. This will also help performance and stop pre-detination.

Hope this helps you get a little more performance out of your car.

Re: Ball Bearing or E-trim #204157
June 14, 2002 03:24 pm UTC
June 14, 2002 03:24 pm UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yes I know and heard many good things about the 420A, but like u said, it wasn't built 4 boost. Maybe I'll dump some money down the line to build up the motor but thats not gonna happen anytime soon. The reason I wanted to keep the boost low was to keep the charge air temp low so i won't even need an intercooler, or a blow off valve. Goin for the sleeper effect. So I'm wanting to max out the efficiency of my turbo to get the power I need. I'm debating the b-bearing/e-trim vs. the regular e-trim. The b-bearing upgrade is a nearly $700 upgrade, I just want to know if anyone out there things its worth the money.

Re: Ball Bearing or E-trim #204158
June 14, 2002 03:59 pm UTC
June 14, 2002 03:59 pm UTC
Dundas
B
Serious Member
Serious Member
B
Dundas
How much of a hp and torque gain do you think this setup will give you?

Also do you know how much it will cost to do this?

I've been debating on putting a turbo on or doing it up to a really wicked N/A.

I'll ask my neighbor about the turbo for you. He's got a stealth twin turbo thats putting out about 450hp and he bought a Talon for his son which is putting out about 300hp give or take.
He knows all about the dsm cars and the turbos.

Re: Ball Bearing or E-trim #204159
June 14, 2002 04:13 pm UTC
June 14, 2002 04:13 pm UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

www.turboGS.com

Wyatt's car with a stage 1 put 180hp 150 lbs torque to the wheels with 4.7psi. I'm not exactly looking to spank v8s with this setup but the potential's there, especially with the t3/t4 turbo. And from what i hear, it will beat stock GS-T's. So later on in life... the boost WILL be turned up. Besides, I'm looking to save up for the Apexi FMIC. The STAR FMIC's a little on the small side.

As for ur car....

GET BOOOOOOOOOOOSTED wink

Re: Ball Bearing or E-trim #204160
June 14, 2002 04:16 pm UTC
June 14, 2002 04:16 pm UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Originally posted by Brian Wylie:

I'll ask my neighbor about the turbo for you. He's got a stealth twin turbo thats putting out about 450hp and he bought a Talon for his son which is putting out about 300hp give or take.
He knows all about the dsm cars and the turbos.
Thanks man... greatly appreciated laugh

Re: Ball Bearing or E-trim #204161
June 15, 2002 11:50 pm UTC
June 15, 2002 11:50 pm UTC
Dundas
B
Serious Member
Serious Member
B
Dundas
Hey Charles

I asked my friend today. He said the b-bearing turbo would be the better choice.
Reason being is the turbos life span is longer.
He said if you take care of the turbo it will last long anyways, but the bearing turbo will last longer. You won't noitice any difference in performance though.
He said they are expensive (I think you said $700)

He said if you've got the money, go for the ball bearing turbo.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Re: Ball Bearing or E-trim #204162
June 16, 2002 09:28 am UTC
June 16, 2002 09:28 am UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

No boost in performance... not gonna bother with that then. Especially since I'm not gonna be Crankin out the boost for a while. I guess if I find myself with an extra $700 burnin a hole in my pocket sometime soon :rolleyes: then I'll go with the ball bearing upgrade. We'll see... thanks for the input.