February 01, 2005 06:29 pm UTC
February 01, 2005 06:29 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
David Robins Offline OP
Serious Member
David Robins  Offline OP
Serious Member
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
At work we got into a discussion about what companies have a right to monitor at work. We all agreed that they can read emails and IM's. Also phone calls and faxes can somewaht be monitored. But we are split on what they have a right to do in regards to regular mail.

Is a manager or the like allowed to open mail? Is there a difference on how its addressed? As in the company name care of a persons name or addressed to the person directly but using the comapnies address.

I am not looking for opinions I would like actual laws and/or acts to back it up.

Thanks

95,97 Tsi AWD- Sold
96 Tsi scrapped
97 Spyder - Sold
08 Spyder GT - Sold
10 Lancer SE - Daily Driver
Re: Laws regarding mail at workplace. #205546
February 01, 2005 08:25 pm UTC
February 01, 2005 08:25 pm UTC
London, Ontario
Jon Arnett Offline
Serious Member
Jon Arnett  Offline
Serious Member
London, Ontario
Sorry I can't help answer the mail part, but with regards to email, certain companies have employee agreements stating that all their email is private as well.

*2002 Porsche 911 Silver
*2006 BMW 325XIT Black
*2003 BMW 325i Silver
Re: Laws regarding mail at workplace. #205547
February 02, 2005 04:21 am UTC
February 02, 2005 04:21 am UTC
Toronto
Matt Polese Offline
Serious Member
Matt Polese  Offline
Serious Member
Toronto
I've been a shipping manager for 5 years, so I know my stuff. As a shipping clerk/manager, I must see to that all the persons of the company receive their mail. If a package is un-named either I have to open it, or give it to the office manager. I had to sign a confidentiality contract, which would legally allow me to open any un-addressed packages. If you have anything company related being sent to you, and would not like anyone to open it, make sure nothing is company related on the address of delivery.

It can get more complicated in other areas of legal stuff, but I had my own rules. If anything was un-addressed, but looked really important, than I would pass it off to the office manager, let them take the heat if it was important stuff that only the “president” of the company should know.

Really, it’s up to the company president and shipping manager to clear this issue and make it clear to all office/workplace employees.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - R.I.P
2004 Suzuki Verona - R.I.P
Streamline Towing Ltd - President