February 12, 2005 04:08 am UTC
February 12, 2005 04:08 am UTC
Onurmomstitties
Mike Jackson Offline OP
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Mike Jackson  Offline OP
Onurmomstitties
I was looking at getting a snowboard. I was thinking about a 163 K2 Access with Flow bindings. Anyone familiar with the board wasnt to give some inputs?

1998 AWD 12.1@122 421whp -SOLD
Duck Dodgers = EPIC FAILZ!
Re: K2 Access #205601
February 12, 2005 06:54 am UTC
February 12, 2005 06:54 am UTC
K-W Region
Nate Fullerton Offline
Serious Member
Nate Fullerton  Offline
Serious Member
K-W Region
Mike, My roomate just bought that same combo and he loves it. Hes a big guy at 6'6 and has nothing but good things to say. He is new to the sport, but my other roomate(who is an avid snowboarder) is so jealous they haven't talked since he got it...lol...
I'm a skiier but the board and bindings look top notch.
PM me if you want their msn addresses to ask any questions..
Hope this helps

1997 Eagle Talon TSi Awd SOLD
1997 Jeep TJ Sahara 35"s, winch, stuff like that.
Re: K2 Access #205602
February 13, 2005 10:45 pm UTC
February 13, 2005 10:45 pm UTC
Whistler,BC
T
Tim Hunt Offline
FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline
FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
The Access is a great beginner board for someone who is just learning the sport
Snowboarding having a quick learning curve riders who ride even more than a few times a winter tend to outprogress an intro board quite quickly.

With the Dual progressive sidecut it is designed more as a freestyle board (reacts the same ridden forward and switch)
The core is fairly basic and won't feel really fast (not alot of snap or rebound)

The Flow bindings are grat for smaller east coast riding where you are in/out of them fairly often, but can have issues if you are using a fairly wide boot (DC's, 32's etc)

If you are dead set on a K2 board look at possibly the Nemisis a Mid wide board (fits bigger feet-above a size 11
Has riser tech (more edge grip-more leverage, as well as clearance to eliminate toe/heel drag-very important on harder east coast conditions.

Other companies to look at for a board are Rossignol and Atomic, both companies that are new to the snowboard scene but have millions of dollars of R&D behind them from thier ski background.
Atomic went as far as to put one of its boards into Transworld Snowboardings top 10 in one of it's first years in production.
(Alibi 2004)
With Companies such as Forum and Burton you are paying for the name.
Stay away from Ride, thet went bankrupt last year but got bought up by a company that dumps them into places like Sportcheck.

On the flow bindings watch the letter designation after the name FS or FR
Freestyle/Freeride.

One of the best bindings that have came out this year is the new Burtons with the strap that goes like a toe cap
linky

2G TSI AWD Magnus 2.3L G4CS Hybrid
Re: K2 Access #205603
February 14, 2005 12:56 am UTC
February 14, 2005 12:56 am UTC
Onurmomstitties
Mike Jackson Offline OP
Mike Jackson  Offline OP
Onurmomstitties
Well Tim I actually jumped in today to get hold of a deal. I got the K2 Access with the flow bindings (I will check which ones) plus Heelside boots. I didn't want to go any better on the board because I don't think I'll get better then intermediate at skill since I won't be able to get out many times a year and the hills around here are bunny hills wink . I think the Access was a good bang for the buck and if I ever get really good I'll be willing to spend more cash. It's a big enough investment as is right now.

My boots are size 11... I hope that's okay. I was assured I wouldn't need a wide board confused

I was just wondering if I should step up to the Access from the Lamar Mission and I think I made the right choice.

I tried on about 10 pairs of boots and finally settled on the Heelsides because they fit the best, were the most stable and were fairly stiff leaning forward.

I'll be breaking my cherry this coming Wednesday if all goes well smile . I'll let you know how it goes.

Nate, now you can tell your roomate you know a guy who bought an Access who's never been on a board before in his life pimp

Re: K2 Access #205604
February 15, 2005 08:45 pm UTC
February 15, 2005 08:45 pm UTC
Onurmomstitties
Mike Jackson Offline OP
Mike Jackson  Offline OP
Onurmomstitties
Can someone do me a favour? Can you put your summer tires on please?

I bought this board Sunday and it has been pouring rain ever since. I was suppose to go out for my first time tomorrow but I'm not sure how much snow there will be.

How is snowboarding on ice/slush/crap?

If someone could put thier summer tires on I know it would bring a snow storm. I'd appreciate it thanks.

Re: K2 Access #205605
February 15, 2005 09:56 pm UTC
February 15, 2005 09:56 pm UTC
K-W Region
Nate Fullerton Offline
Serious Member
Nate Fullerton  Offline
Serious Member
K-W Region
I'll try the snow dance.....

I stand corrected. My roomate who just started went out and bought a Nemisis, because he indeed has a size 14 foot. He's feeling your pain as well. COME ON SNOW...I'd like to try my luck at least twice this year...nothing broken yet....

1997 Eagle Talon TSi Awd SOLD
1997 Jeep TJ Sahara 35"s, winch, stuff like that.
Re: K2 Access #205606
February 15, 2005 10:40 pm UTC
February 15, 2005 10:40 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ontario
J
Jeff Mitchell Offline

Jeff Mitchell  Offline

J
Mississauga, Ontario
Originally posted by Mike Jackson:
How is snowboarding on ice/slush/crap?
Snowboarding on ice is bad, especially when you're learning. You basically have no grip, so you'll fall alot, and falling on ice is not fun as you might imagine. smile

If it's just a little warm and slushy, but there's still snow, you'll just go slower than usual (probably good for a beginner) but you'll get a little wetter when you fall. smile

One thing I'd suggest if you don't already have one is to get a stomp pad for your board. <A HREF="http://snowboarding.about.com/cs/accessories/a/stomppad.htm">This page explains what they are.</A>

You'll understand why you need one the first time you get off the chairlift and your back foot slips off the wet board and you practically do the splits. smile Learning to getting off the chairlift on a snowboard can be a frustrating experience, and these little pads make it so much easier.

Have fun!

Re: K2 Access #205607
February 17, 2005 02:27 pm UTC
February 17, 2005 02:27 pm UTC
Onurmomstitties
Mike Jackson Offline OP
Mike Jackson  Offline OP
Onurmomstitties
I had a blast yesterday. The conditions were just okay... a bit of snow over groomed ice/snow. There were a few slush spots.

I picked it up pretty quick, I was okay on the blue hills after about 3 hours. Props to my brother for showing me the ropes tu . He was also kind enough to show me how to wipe out coming off a chair lift, going onto a chair lift, skating on flat ground, going over a jump and riding a table cool .

I can't wait to get out again smile . Next time it won't be the day after a month long overtime stint with 6 hours sleep. I will have more energy ready to use up. I was shocked at how exhausting it was. And my jacket it still soaked with sweat today eek

The bindings were awesome... I never had to sit down at the top of the hill.

And yes I'm going to be getting a stomp pad smile .

Re: K2 Access #205608
February 17, 2005 08:45 pm UTC
February 17, 2005 08:45 pm UTC
London
Steve Burke Offline
Steve Burke  Offline
London
Mike,
I was going to put my snowies on Tuesday night but I was nice cause you were going boarding the next day wink
-stomp pad
-board wax
-board tool (multi tool) so you can adjust things once you start to figure out what works for you
-carb bars
-beer for your body that night
Have Fun and watch out for ski poles in the lines for the lift, they take chunks off the top of your board

1992 Talon TSi FWD
Jackstand Racing
2001 GSX-R600
Re: K2 Access #205609
February 17, 2005 08:53 pm UTC
February 17, 2005 08:53 pm UTC
Onurmomstitties
Mike Jackson Offline OP
Mike Jackson  Offline OP
Onurmomstitties
My biggest mistake was food. I had two peices of toast at 7:00 then nothing. We started boarding about 12:00 and stopped about 2:00 for lunch. Next time I will definately store up some carbs prior to going.

What is the board tool for exactly? Changing the angle of the foot?

Thanks for the pole warning, I will watch for them.

One other side point. I couldn't get up from my butt... only from my knees, seriously. In order to get my weight forward enough my toes would go too far and the heel edge would come up and the board would slip. I thought about it all night and I think it's my flexibility. When I bend at the waste I can only just touch my knees. So I think that lack of flexibility was forcing my toe down as my legs straightened enough to stand. So I'll work on my flexibility there every day and see if it helps.

Thanks for not putting your snows on and thanks to Nate for the snow dance... it worked a bit smile . I'll get out again next week.

Re: K2 Access #205610
February 18, 2005 05:05 am UTC
February 18, 2005 05:05 am UTC
Kitchener, Ontario
Dan Jackson Offline
Dan Jackson  Offline
Kitchener, Ontario
Mike did very well for his first time. tu I was very impressed with him. Unfortunately, the next thing we are going to work on is his lingo. For example: It wasn't a "table", it was a box that I fell on, but everything else was bang on wink As for the highlight of the day (and man do I wish I had a camera with me to show you guys) was Mike's "diaper". Now your wondering what I mean. What it really means is the hockey pants that he wore over top of his snow pants. rotflmao It's a good idea, but should've been under the pants. Oh well, a well done to Mike, and the falls only get more painful from here on in.

(Insert Ice Cream Truck Music Here)
2006 Mazda 6i GS Sport GFX
Re: K2 Access #205611
February 18, 2005 01:20 pm UTC
February 18, 2005 01:20 pm UTC
London/Nomad
Nathan Welch Offline

Insane Member
Nathan Welch  Offline

Insane Member
London/Nomad
Stretching is very important. Even more so for a big guy like you. Where did you board chicopee? My first time out I was on double dimonds at blue, the learning curve was very steep. A Hole friends thought it would be funny and encouraged me to start on them. Great winter sport though, something you can do with your kids too. (be prepared they may eclipse your skills quickly!)

Re: K2 Access #205612
February 18, 2005 02:14 pm UTC
February 18, 2005 02:14 pm UTC
Onurmomstitties
Mike Jackson Offline OP
Mike Jackson  Offline OP
Onurmomstitties
Hey I only wore my diaper for the first couple hours while I learned to turn smile . And okay so you smacked your ass on a box... got it wink .

Stretching... yes that sounds like it would have been a good idea. I will try that next time.

Yes it was Chicopee. It's close and good enough to learn on. I might be going to Hockley in a couple weeks though.

Re: K2 Access #205613
February 19, 2005 03:32 am UTC
February 19, 2005 03:32 am UTC
London/Nomad
Nathan Welch Offline

Insane Member
Nathan Welch  Offline

Insane Member
London/Nomad
Good times. I remember GT'ing at Chicopee when I was a kid. Hockley is okay, Blue is the best I have been at in Ontario. I still remember how sore I was the day after my first day.

Re: K2 Access #205614
February 21, 2005 07:39 pm UTC
February 21, 2005 07:39 pm UTC
Onurmomstitties
Mike Jackson Offline OP
Mike Jackson  Offline OP
Onurmomstitties
Went out again this morning after the snow last night... definately better with some real snow. I spent half the day on Apple Bowl and the other on Front. I really like front, not too quick but enough to really work on my turns. Plus no one was on it hardly.

Next year I'll get out to Blue.